Should I do this?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rhesus, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Feb 21, 2014

I've started looking for public high school jobs again for the Fall 2014 year after being "dormant" once the last hiring season wound down.

Today, I noticed a long term sub position in my subject starting immediately until the end of the year in a district closer to home than my current school.

I am rather reluctant to abruptly quit my current position without notice, especially for a LTS gig, but I am curious about what their situation is, if this is likely to become full time, or if they would consider me for the Fall.

I'm tempted to email the principal and ask for more information. Do you all think to is a good idea?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2014

What is your current position?

4. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Feb 21, 2014

I am currently in my sixth year a Catholic school that is 75 miles from my home. I have reached the end of my commuting tether. Actually, I reached my limit last year but nothing panned out. I posted a bit about last year's hunt.

It is only February and this is just the first thing in my subject that has come up. I'm not desperate, but I am tempted to find out more info.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2014

No harm in applying but keep in mind some districts don't like hiring away from another school mid year...you might want to address your looong commute and if your current school is aware of your desire to find something else in your inquiry...

6. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Feb 22, 2014

Before actually applying, I want to politely and briefly email the principal or dept. chair and find out more before I possibly waste everyone's time with a formal application.

Do you suppose that is acceptable of annoying?

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2014

I don't think it would be inappropriate to ask, although they might not be able to answer. I would think that if a position opened up now and was available though the end of the year, it would be because of 1) a maternity leave, 2) an illness or injury, or 3) someone quitting. If it's one of the first two options, the original teacher might not even know if they will return next year.

I wouldn't give up a "real" position for an LTS job except in some sort of exceedingly dire circumstance.

Am I remembering it wrong, or did you give up a job offer at a closer school last year?

8. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Feb 22, 2014

I agree that leaving a full time job for LTS would be reckless unless the full time job was unbearable.

Also yes, you do remember correctly. I had decided that the offer I got at the end of August wasn't good enough to leave for; the school was still slightly more than and hour away and the pay was no better. To make a move, I will need either a shorter commute or longer pay. I keep telling myself, when I become frustrated, that at least I'm in a position to be picky.

9. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 22, 2014

How much closer is the new district? I would never in a million years dream of having a 75 mile commute. I'd sooner move.

10. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Feb 22, 2014

This job that popped up is about halfway at a mere 40 miles.