Should I do a lesson on 9/11?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Sep 5, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2012

I teach in Costa Rica where the majority of the population of the school is Costa Rican. Should I do a lesson on 9/11? Or remember it in anyway? I teach science, but I just think it's so important to remember the tragedy. The other thing is, Costa Rican independence is 9/15 so I don't want to seem insensitive to that. I don't know if it would be appreciated if I did an "American" lesson the week of Independence Day.

3. Ross

Ross Comrade

Sep 5, 2012

The long sad list of victims that day include many for nations around the globe. This was not just an American tragedy.

This can be a point for discussion with your students.

4. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Sep 5, 2012

"lucybelle" - A more important question is how are YOU after the earthquake hit your area today???

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2012

I doubt I would do an entire lesson, but perhaps address it. Do you know what your colleauges will do?

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2012

We're fine! It was a very scary earthquake though! Definitely the strongest I've ever felt. Official report is 7.6

--

And I'm not sure what the other teachers are doing. No one else is from the USA. I'll ask around.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 5, 2012

Most of my students (3rd-6th grade) were too young to remember- I still have two girls who lost their dad/step-dad and I don't know of any connection (the girls would have been too young to remember). I don't think people will forget the event but it can be such a scary event for a young child that I don't make mention of it in my class unless a child brings it up.

I would be cautious because during the time that this event comes up, the media tends to show clips of what happened. I've had students become very frightened that what happened on that day will happen again- at school, to their family members, etc. So depending on what your students can handle, you will want to gear any activity you do do towards that- the younger ones might just be okay with a moment of silence/prayer, while the older kids might want to talk more about media portrayal or political reasons behind the event.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2012

Not sure how you would tie in science, but there was impact on Costa Rica: (from the Tico Times)

Sept. 11, 2001 left an indelible mark on Costa Rica, particularly in the economic* sector. The U.S. is Costa Rica’s largest trading partner, foreign investor and source of tourists. When the pace of U.S. travel and commerce dropped after Sept. 11, Costa Rica felt the ripple effect.*

“The events of September 2001 impacted the amount of tourists from September to December 2001,” said Juan Carlos Borbón, general manager of the Costa Rican Tourism Board in an email. “In 2002, overall tourism dropped 1.6 percent. That may not seem like such a significant figure, but with the exception of a 0.4 decrease in 2006, never in the history of national tourism had there been a decrease in the arrival of international tourists.”

Investment and trade markets suffered as well. According to figures provided by the Foreign Trade Ministry, the $5.04 billion in export sales was the lowest total from 1998-2010. The following year wasn’t much better, as export sales only hit $5.2 billion, the second lowest total in the last 13 years.*

During 2001-2002, export sales to North America, Costa Rica’s biggest trading partner, plummeted. Revenues from U.S. export sales finished 2001 at $2.77 billion, the lowest total during the last 13 years.*

“Latin American countries and Costa Rica were affected more economically than in terms of security,” Liang said. “Almost all countries with strong ties to the U.S. economy suffered.”

On a more human level, two Costa Ricans that worked in the World Trade Center both survived the attacks. Pilar Madrigal, then director of international affairs at the Costa Rican Investment Board, was en route to her office when the first plane struck. Karla Pericon, now 34, worked on the 11th floor of One World Trade Center. She described the event for The Tico Times in 2001: “It felt like an earthquake on the 11th floor of One World Trade Center. We ran down the emergency staircase, which was filled with smoke and people coming* from all floors of the building.”

“I don’t know what I am going to do now. I have to see what happens with work because I am not sure if I still have a job,” she wrote. “I don’t want to return to Costa Rica because I am afraid to get on a plane. … I never thought this would happen.”

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2012

I think it would depend on the age of the students. Sixth graders were not born when Sept. 11 happened. They have little knowledge of the event for the most part.

It's sad to think, but do you do a special lesson on the day Kennedy was assassinated or the first man walked on the moon?

10. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 8, 2012

Glad to hear you are okay after the earthquake!!

I think a short lesson/discussion on 9/11 would be fine as long as you do 9/15 as well.