Should I continue to try for this school year?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teacher Gii, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 25, 2013

Here is my situation. I am currently an kinder IA but have a license for PK-6 general education received Dec 2011. I have been looking for a full time teaching position since then and was hired last year as the IA for a local school district (my current admin knows that I am looking for something more so that isn't an issue.) I have been looking this summer and sending emails to various P's with no response and have only had 1 interview...The catch right now is..I am expecting my first child any day now. I was hoping to lock secure something for the upcoming school year after I return from leave, but that isn't really happening at this time.

I have seen some postings here and there come up the last couple of days. My question is, should I continue to try for a job for this school year? As a new teacher, I know not being able to start right away may hinder chances of being hired versus another teacher that already has a contract. Since I am also going to be a new mother, I am wondering should I try for my own classroom or take this year to adjust to being a new mom and either try for something later as it becomes available? It seems like a lot to take on at once. I will have help with the baby and everything, and I know my child most definitely will come first ALWAYS..but at the same time, having a full-time teacher status will greatly help in the care of my precious new addition.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

What is your heart telling you?

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2013

If you can stay home for the first semester, jobs often open up for January. Like czacza says, you need to go with your heart.

5. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 25, 2013

I wouldn't be staying home. When leave is up, I would go back to work as an IA. The only difference would be if I were offered an actual teaching position would be the added responsibilities of a teacher such as the lesson plan creations, staying later after school, well you guys know.

My heart kind of tells me to stay where I am for now and adjust to my new responsibility as a mom. My thing is, I also have financial responsibilities too that would greatly reduce if I had the extra income of a salaried teacher. I don't want to give up so easily..and I COULD wait til January I suppose. I am the kind of person that goes in with a goal and a plan and want to do everything that I can to "make it happen." Of course there is only so much you can do when there are few postings and little to no calls for an interview.

With my unexpected blessing, I want to cherish the time I do have with my baby and do what is best for him.

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 25, 2013

Well, speaking as someone who stayed home for eight years to raise my kids, I will say that I can't imagine doing it while teaching full-time. But people do it, all the time. It's definitely one thing to be having a baby when you're already established in your position, and perhaps a bit harder when you're just starting out. Money is certainly a factor. Do you have family around to help?

It's such a difficult and personal decision. Whatever you decide, it will work out.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

It's hard to know beforehand how's new baby will impact your life, but staying where you are while you get acclimated to being a working mom seems like the best idea. Schools hiring late in the season are still trying to find the 'right fit' and sadly someone who's not going to be in for the fist several weeks of school s a difficult fit to imagine.:sorry:

Congrats on your upcoming arrival!

8. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 25, 2013

My family can definitely help where the care of the baby in concerned..but not financially. I don't have TOO many bills, but enough to take up what little I actually make as an IA. I have tried to go into the mindset like you said Rainbow, "people do it all the time." Especially when thinking about the old days when women would pop out babies and have to go back out in the field and work the next day. Granted, times have changed..I know. It is a very hard decision..I know it doesn't hurt to apply though, after all that is exactly what I have been doing the entire summer and sending emails..just haven't had much luck in regards to interviewing.

And thank you for the congrats :)

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

If I were in your position, I'd keep trying for a regular teaching position. Bills can cause a lot of stress, especially on a new family. I'd want to do what it takes to minimize that stress. As for time spent outside of work, you can limit that. Teaching doesn't have to take over your life.

10. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 25, 2013

I'm going to be have to be sure to read all of your posts! I really like how you manage to keep the balance. Teaching has taken over my life in the past, and with all the new initiatives, evaluation procedures, and general demands placed upon educators, it is really hard not to. But I am determined with my next position to strive for more balance.

11. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jul 25, 2013

This has nothing to do with giving advice but...

BAAABBYYYYY :) :)

12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 25, 2013

I know it's hard to know what to do, and none of us can tell you. The fact that you will be working anyway might offer you some solace. If you are going to be out of the house anyway, you might as well be making some decent $$$$. Yes, the teaching is more time and stress...but as Caesar said, it can be managed, although the first year can be a challenge. And that, of course, will be the first year of your baby's life. Will you and your child survive and thrive either way? Of course you will. It is just really a matter of personal choice ((as long as financially you can get along.)

If you decide to hold off on the teaching, consider going to http://mrmoneymustache.com. You will get a lot of good advice on how to live on a lot less money. They also offer very good investment advice.

Good luck!

13. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 25, 2013

I would definitely have to work on the time management aspect for time spent outside of the work environment.I am talking like I have scheduled interviews and offers already. Positive thinking maybe? lol. I know that legally they cannot say anything, but it is obvious that if I went on an interview right now..they would be able to see how pregnant I am. So should I get an interview between now and the big day, should I mention not being able to start right away or just let HR handle that part when the time comes? I know how important the beginning of a school year is.