Should I concentrate on certification examinations, or another degree?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Blu4, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Blu4

Blu4 New Member

Jun 11, 2019

Hi,

I currently work for a great school, as a teacher assistant for ESE students. I plan on returning to the position this coming school year, but hope to find a lead teacher or inclusion role the following school year. I have to retake the K-6 Math section, the ESE subject test, and the GK test (but I now heard you have 3 years instead of 1 year to take it, but I rather get it over with sooner rather than later). I am enrolled in an AA Teacher degree program (classes are free), but I already have an undergrad in Speech Communications and a Masters in Org. Behavior. Prior to my current position, I was a sub for about three years in all grades. I am wondering if I should put the classes off for now, and concentrate just on passing the exams? I have been self educating by reading and listening to anything pertaining to teaching in ESE and General Education. I want to be the best teacher I can be, but not sure the correct route to take at this time in my career?

3. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 11, 2019

Seems you sort of already answered your own question based on your personal timeframe, but could you not continue the classes and focus on the tests at the same time? I was completing my masters when I began taking my certification tests.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jun 12, 2019

Your situation very closely models mine. I, too, took my certification tests while I was finishing up my Masters. I did student teaching and my credential program after getting hired, though, as I went through an alternate route to licensure.