Should I Call??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by puff5655, Mar 23, 2009.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Mar 23, 2009

I interviewed Thursday, March 12. They said they would contact me with their decision probably within the next day.

They haven't called yet. Last week was the district's spring break, so although I was super anxious, I didn't bug them.

Now it's Monday.. and still no news. Our school hours are the same as when I'm working, so I can't call then. So my only options are:

1) to try to get ahold of the human resources person or principal BEFORE school hours (around 7:30) ---which one should I call? What would I say??

2) email the human resources person.. would this be unprofessional? again, what would I say so I don't sound desperate?

..I NEED to know soon, so that I can start making arrangements to go to a job fair next month (that I need to take personal days for and fly to) if I'm not hired.

WHY would they take this long???

Sarah

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2009

They don't tend to be as timely as we'd like with these types of things. Try calling the P tomorrow and see what happens.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2009

Oh, forgot to answer your question about what to say:

"Hi P, this is Sarah calling. I inteviewed for X position on March 12. I was hoping you could tell me what the status is of X position."

5. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Mar 23, 2009

ahh! thanks for you help, but..

My neighbor (whose phone I borrowed for the phone int.), just told me that the hr person left a message on her machine, saying they would call back first thing in the morning!!!!!!

now.. what that means exactly..?? hopefully before 8:00 when I have to be at work!! (and I told my principal I'd come in early to talk to her about something else.. )

and also.. I asked my references to let me know if the district contacts them.. and they haven't to my knowledge....

ahhhhh!! I won't be sleeping tonight.. too anxious!! :( ..and a bit nauseaus!

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2009

hmmm...well I wouldn't worry too much about them not contacting your references yet. I don't think mine were ever contacted until it came to the final decision...I think they would want to have a second in-person interview with you before making a final decision since the first one was a phone interview. I say call tomorrow. Worst case scenario, they say its not going to be you and you book that plane ticket for the job fair! GL! I hope you get a bit of sleep tonight :)

7. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Mar 24, 2009

in person interview won't be happening. they are on the opposite side of alaska... $2000 and 4 flights away.

after the first interview, they said they would probably have their "decision" within the next day (of the interview). I imagine their "decision" is whether to hire me.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2009

Ahhh...gotcha. Well, I'd call and see what's going on. Hopefully they will give you a straight answer and you'll know whether or not to plan for the job fair. I hope its the job for you! But if not, there's something out there for you!!! :)

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2009

I'm hoping for the best for you. At least you should know soon.

10. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Mar 24, 2009

thanks for the support :)

I should know within the next hour.. !!!

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2009

Let us know!

12. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Mar 24, 2009

I got ahold of her over my break.

I didn't get the job. darn.

but she was extremely nice- told me they had 2 very strong candidates (me and someone else) and that's why it took the board so long to come to a decision. They went with the other candidate because they were more experienced in the grade level. Then she went on to read me her notes of feedback from the committee- things they really liked from my interview, that caught their ear, and encouraged me to apply for their district again in the future, if interested.

Well, the job fair should be fun, anyway. :)

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2009

I'm sorry that you didn't get it, puff, but it sounds like the principal really liked you. Good luck with the job fair!

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2009

I'm sorry to hear that puff. Good luck at the job fair!

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2009

:( I'm sorry puff...that stinks. But at least now you have some confidence and know that you are a good interviewer!! Good luck at the job fair :)

16. palla

palla Companion

Mar 24, 2009

Oh, I am sorry! It sounds like you did great, though. Maybe something else will open up in that district and they will call you!!

17. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Mar 24, 2009

thanks again guys :) I do feel more confident interviewing.. seeing as I had less than a day to prepare myself for that one.

palla, the district is in a town with 500 people, only 1 teacher for each grade. So, barring the other candidate doesn't back out and decide not to sign (wouldn't that be nice?), I'll have to wait until next year.

There's another district I'm especially interested in- about a month ago I inquired and they only had a 4th grade position available. But now, they're ad says "elementary teacherS"..so I'm going to call and ask again- cross your fingers for me that theres either a K or 1 position available!

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2009

I'm not looking for a job but I follow the posts and it seems that most people complain that they never receive any feedback from the interview. I'm impressed that this P did that for you...I would jump at the opportunity to interview again for this school. It sounds like a nice place to work.

19. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Mar 25, 2009

beckysuek- it was great. I didn't even ask for feedback, still dwelling on the "you didn't get the job" part, I didn't even think of it. It was just "I'd like to give you some feedback if that's okay- I have notes here from the board.. here's what they really liked, what really caught their ear.." And she went on for about 5 minutes, great, helpful stuff. It is a great district, hope I eventually get a chance to work there!

Oh, and I called the other district I'm very interested in. They now have THREE elementary positions open! YES! AND they'll be at the job fair I'm going to, so we're setting up an interview in advance :)

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2009

Yay puff...that's great that the other district has 3 openings. I hope you impress the district like you did the first one...then they'll have 3 places for you!! :D