Should I Call Them Back? Or Wait?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by DressageLady, Jun 4, 2014.

1. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 4, 2014

I had a phone call this morning from a school I had submitted an application last week. I was working and couldn't take it, so it went to voice mail. But when I took a break and checked the message, there was no message. It appears that they might have hung up as the beep was happening? The way my phone is configured, if you hang up before the beep, but after my greeting comes on, I won't get a voice mail notification. And I absolutely had a voice mail notification. But when I opened the voice mail, there was no message. No empty air. Nothing.

My question is this: should I call the school? Explain that I had a call, and an "ambiguous" voice mail, and say that I am trying to follow up? Or should I wait to see if they will try again?
    Sheilah

3. ozzy1011

ozzy1011 Rookie

Jun 4, 2014

I would call back.

4. PrincessDaisy

PrincessDaisy Rookie

Jun 4, 2014

I would call. I wouldn't use that wording. That sounds a bit off putting about the "ambiguous" voice mail. I know at the school I did long term subbing at, the sec, who probably called you, wouldn't give you an interview with that terminology. I'd "Good morning. My name is DressageLady and I received a call from your school". I don't think you need to get into the whole thing.

5. Mavman

Mavman Rookie

Jun 4, 2014

ditto

6. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 4, 2014

So, I called back and got the office voice mail. No surprise, since the schools in this district have been out for three weeks now. I gave my name and number, explained briefly that I was responding to a voice mail left earlier today and, since I had submitted my certified application last week for their posted opening for a teacher, I wanted to get back to them as soon as possible.

I think I might follow up with an e-mail to the school's principal as well. They are ending their office hours on Friday. I want to be sure that my response gets noticed.

And I left out the part about the "ambiguous" voice mail! Hopefully I hear back. I so wish I had been able to answer my phone when the call came in. But today was the last day of school in my district and I was working like crazy. It was very emotional for me.
    Sheilah
    Sheilah

7. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 4, 2014

UPDATE!

I got an interview! The principal just called me back, responding to my e-mail.

Yay!!
    Sheilah

8. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 4, 2014

Congrats!

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 4, 2014

WOOT!

10. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 4, 2014

Yay! Good luck!!!!

11. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Jun 5, 2014

Woohoo! I'm excited for your interview!

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2014

Good luck! When is your interview?

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2014

Yay! Good luck!

14. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jun 5, 2014

Good luck! :)

15. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 5, 2014

Thank you everyone! Your well wishes mean a lot to me. My interview is set for tomorrow morning at 10:15.

I am fairly familiar with the community the school is located in, so I have a pretty good idea of the population the school pulls from. I am about as prepared as it is possible to be.

I feel ready!
    Sheilah

16. ozzy1011

ozzy1011 Rookie

Jun 5, 2014

Awesome! Good luck!

17. Mavman

Mavman Rookie

Jun 6, 2014

Good luck!

18. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 6, 2014

Fingers crossed!! :)

19. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 6, 2014

My interview went fairly well. This school is actually hiring for two spots, a part-time kindergarten position and a 1st grade opening.

I think I did really well in some areas. And not so well in others. And it wasn't until I got half way home that I realized that I never mentioned the fact that I have an endorsement in literacy.

I had a packet ready for them, and they accepted it and seemed glad that it was something they could keep. It includes my resume, which does mention my endorsement. So hopefully they will take a look at those materials.

One of the hiring team said I did very well when we were finished. I really liked the two teachers and the P. I told them at the end that I thought it would be a good fit and the 1st grade teacher agreed.

But, ever onward! I applied for three more openings today, in two different districts. I am going to get my hair trimmed in a minute and then later my husband and I are going out to the movies with a friend. I WILL not obsess over the details.
    Sheilah
    P.S. I did finally hear back from the school I interviewed at almost three weeks ago. The message was brief, thanking me for coming in and telling me that they had chosen someone else. At least he finally got back to me.

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2014

I'm glad it went well! You could mention your endorsement in your thank you note or email.

21. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 6, 2014

What a good idea! I hurried off and did just that! Thank you.
    Sheilah

22. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 6, 2014

So glad your interview went well. I hope this is the one!

It's probably not much consolation, but if they waited 3 weeks to call, then there's a good chance that you were 2nd choice and they just waited to be sure the other candidate signed. If they definitely had no intention of hiring you, you would have heard earlier. :)

23. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 6, 2014

Well, I heard back from the school I interviewed at this morning and they decided to go with someone else. That was pretty quick. I think it was a total of nine hours between the interview and the phone call.

On the plus side, there is still plenty of time to get hired. And I like my hair cut and the movie was good.
    Sheilah

24. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 6, 2014

You know, it does make me feel better to think that I was at least considered. Thank you for pointing that out to me.
    Sheilah