Should I bring my daughter to my school or leave her at her neighborhood school?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by pamms, Jul 29, 2005.

1. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 29, 2005

I am just frozen with indecision on this one (ok, I tend to get that way) lol. I worked for most of one year at my daughter's school when she was in Kindergarten. It was great to have her with me before and after school. Then the next year I wasn't able to get a job at that school but got a job at one just about 5 minutes away. They are both academically strong schools, both about the same size,etc. I had worked closely with her the teacher she was getting for 1st grade and I assumed my assignment to the new school might be temporary, so she stayed at her school for 1st. She also stayed at 2nd for a variety of reasons that are no longer in play. The major drawbacks of her staying at her neighborhood school....it drives me nuts not to be more involved in her school!..and she has to go to the YMCA afterschool program which I hate. She doesn't like the afterschool program either, but she wants to stay at 'her' school. She has friends there, etc, but really most of her closer friends have recently moved. Her school does offer a somewhat better art program than mine does, but I think the math program may be better at mine. Major drawbacks of bringing her to my school...she will be upset for a while, they are going to be doing major construction at my school for a good part of the year..right in the center of campus, right near my room, so I really won't want her wandering around, etc. and, of course, dealing with what to do with her during faculty meetings and conferences, but there are lots of teachers kids on campus working that out. I'd appreciate any insight. School starts soon and I am practically torturing my poor daughter with my indecision!!!
    Pam

3. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jul 29, 2005

I was in the same situation you are! Almost exactly. My daughter will be going to 2nd. I have worked at her school, and at another school 5 minutes down the street is where I was this year. This will be my first year with a full time teaching position. However, I did not get a job at either school this year. I am working about 15 minutes away now. I decided to take her with me. She was a little upset at first, but like you I did not like the idea of not being involved. I battled it and went back and forth, but I finally decided that it would be best if she came with me.

I am sure that both schools are just fine. One school's art or math will not make or break her. She can still keep in touch with her friends and we both know she will make new ones. I think you can work around the construction and the conferences (you even said that others have to as well). I think you should go with your instincts! Do what will truly work best for your family.

Good luck!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 29, 2005

Even though I have never been in this position, as a mother I would probably want to bring her with me. To me, disliking the afterschool program at the Y would be a good enough reason alone.

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2005

Im in the same boat. If I get any job other than at my son's school, will he stay or will he go with me? My indecision comes from the fact that he is also in speech therapy. To make a long story short he started in the middle of the year, then about 4 weeks into the new semester his eacher went on maternity leave and was gone for a majority of the rest of the year for whatever reason. She came back about one month before school let out and tried really hard to make up for the lost months. He likes the teacher, I love the school (would have really like to work there) His friends are there and I'm just really trying to make things easy for him and me both. WHat to do, what to do?

6. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Jul 29, 2005

My mom was a teacher for 21 years before going into counseling. In Kindergarten, I went to a different school because my brother went there. He wanted to stay at "his" school. I didn't like the school, so after I went to school with my mom and my brother stayed. It worked out fine. It is just a decision you have to make. Good luck with whatever you decide!

7. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 29, 2005

Depends...Im on the fence on this one, I can see both sides as to why you should and shouldnt let her go to it.

Ask your administration if its ok....especially if yoru daughter can be in your class after school. One of the teachers at our school had her child go to it as well and she didnt want her child in the afterschool program there because of the way it was run. The principal didnt like this and wanted the teacher not to have what I think he felt was a distraction. He sent out a memo saying any teacher with a child in the school (only her) cant have their child in the classroom after school. She quit.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2005

Personally, I would bring her with me and I would talk to administration. It is not like she is in an older grade and has been at the other school for almost all her elementary school years. It is really exciting to be with your child in the school environment. However, only you know which factors are important in this decision you are to make.

9. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 30, 2005

I have thought about that. I do have to get permission because my school is technically a 'closed' school, but administration did tell me it would be ok before I left at the end of last year. At our school lots of teachers have their kids come to their room after school, but you just never know when they will change the rule...but even if she HAD to go to the afterschool program at my school, I would be right there to pick her up when I am officially off work, even if I plan to stay late (which I normally do...don't we all?) So at 'her' school she'd stay in afterschool care until about 4:20-4:30 whe at my school, if she had to go to it, she'd be out by 3:20-3:30 and back in my room until about 4.

Pam

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 30, 2005

Question: Is there a bus that heads in the direction of the school you're working at from her school? Maybe you could work something out with the busses. A teacher where I student taught has two boys that go to a school that is about 10 minutes away from the one where she teaches. They take a bus from their school to her's everyday after school and stay with her until she's able to go home. Maybe that's something to look into for you so that she wouldn't have to go to the Y afterschool. That wouldn't really resolve the problem of not being more involved, but are there things afterschool that you could get involved in? (bingo, family night, etc.) You could connect with the people at her school then.

11. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 30, 2005

Well I think I have decided...

lol (think).
    I'm the type that will buy a pair of shoes and then not wear them for a week 'cause I can't decide if I should return them...

Anyway. The plan is to move her to my school. We told her this morning that was our plan and although she is not too happy about it, I think she'll deal with it ok.
    We just happened to run into her teacher from last year this afternoon and she asked her who she got for next year and my daughter told her she was going to switch to my school. Turns out that her teacher had done the same thing with her daughter (at the same age) 2 years before. I think that helped a little too.

Thank you for all your input.
    Pam

12. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 30, 2005

I vote go together. If it was my daughter she'd go to the school, I was at. I'd worry about her riding the bus. I think as much time together is important. And not liking the after school program is another to move together.

13. liz

liz Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

One of the teachers in my school had her K daughter at our school last year. It was nice for the student but the teacher is putting her at the neighborhood school this year because she was a BIG distraction. The teacher had a hard time concentrating on her job.....Maybe it was the age of the child????

14. latybug

latybug Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

Taking her to your school is a great plan. My daughter has been at the school I taught at for the last 6 years. She loved it. She felt special because everyone knew her. I tried to make her go to her neighborhood school in 3rd grade and she hated it! She switched back to my school at the 5 week period. Your daughter may have some adjusting at first but she will most likely be happy in the end. As far as where to put her during meeting mine just stayed in my room until the meeting was over. She usually ate breakfast during that time. Good Luck

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2005

This is such an interesting topic for me, because I've been going through this, as well. I have three daughters. My oldest two are entering 1st and K this year. They've gone to school with me since Pre-K (I actually had them in my class! I know that's not usually allowed, but I have a very understanding principal, and it worked out beautifully). However, for this upcoming year, I'm stumped as to what to do. We've recently moved to a neighborhood with the top ranked school in the district, and the school where I teach is certainly not top ranked...lots of poverty related issues. Anyway, I'm not worried about the academics - they're bright kids - and I'd really rather them see that the world isn't all white and upper middle class...but I'm still second-guessing my decision...am I holding them back by not putting them in the "best" school? Are they not going to be as competitive with the neighborhood kids when they go to middle school? Are they missing out on important friendships?

The past two years have been wonderful, though. They've made friends in my school's neighborhood and and those moms have offered to do before and after care on faculty meeting days, but on most days, they're in my room while I'm doing prep. They actually help most days. It's great to pop in and see them at lunch, to help out on recess duty when I have my planning...and, I have to say, to have a little extra "control" over their school lives is nice for me. I can almost hand-pick their teachers and can go to one of the special area teachers if I have a problem and solve it face to face, right away. (like when my daughter lost a library book. I went and paid the fee so that she could get another out). I think it's reassuring for the kids, too, to know I'm right there if they need me. I've had to come up with emergency lunch money more than once, and sign a last minute permission slip, etc.
    Kim

16. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 3, 2005

I think it is great that you can have your children at your school. My mom and her uncle went to the same school where my grandmother taight 2nd grade. Since my uncle was held back he and my mom where in the same grade. When they got to 2nd grade my grandmother got to pick which one she had her in class her son or daughter. She said no way was she going to teach her son b/c he was a trouble maker.

17. dee

dee Companion

Aug 3, 2005

I was in the same situation. I began teaching in the middle of the 2003-2004 school year, however the school that I was teaching at was too far aeay for me to leave my children at the neighborhood school. The school that I was teaching at was a low school, but my girls (K and 2nd) at the time did wonderful. I then got job at another school that is about five minutes away from neighborhood school, but I decided to bring them back to neighborhood school instead of taking them with me. It was not a big prpblem because if I stayed late my older children would get them from school on their way home. Then, I moved and it was a big hassle, so this year they are coming with me. they were not happy at first, but they are friendly girls and I know that this will be beneficial for all involved. Even though, the other school is not that far, it still created problems on faculty meeting days, when one of them were sick at school, and involvement in the programs. This will be so much better for all involved.