Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teachingtoo, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Nov 27, 2020

So we started virtually this year. Still a new teacher in this school... Joined last term. Anyway, since the new academic year, my P has joined my class sessions only once. We had a virtual parent meeting as well, and she didn't join but she did for the other teachers (well, I spoke to one and she told me P did join her meeting). AP and academic coordinator say that I'm doing a good job. I'm not sure though... Is that why P doesn't really care to join and see how things are going with me, and would probably focus on others? I don't know, I'm just so worried. I don't hear a word from her, no feedback, nothing.

3. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 27, 2020

Sounds like you are thinking too much into it (you talked to another teacher who said she had a P visit). If she had actually had a problem with you, I think she would have let you know.

MrTempest, Tired Teacher and whizkid like this.
  4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2020

I wouldn't be worried. If they were concerned, they'd be joining your sessions more and giving you more "help." I do think it's odd that you haven't heard anything about a formal observation process or anything like that, though. Unless your school/district suspended evaluations this year? If you have a mentor teacher or even teammates I'd ask what that process should look like just so you know. In every school I've worked in, they've had some sort of staff meeting at the beginning of the year to go over the evaluation rubric, talk about what the process will look like and how many observations you need, etc. We also have set guidelines by the state; new teachers have to have a formal eval in the first semester (and second) and everyone has a mid-year meeting that is due by a certain date to review progress.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Nov 28, 2020

You're not on their mind. That's usually a good sign.

Tired Teacher, Aces and whizkid like this.
  6. Aces

Aces Devotee

Nov 29, 2020

This is pretty much what I would chalk it up to be. The more we start looking into things, usually means you’re on our mind more. Which isn’t always a bad thing, but it’s not always a great thing. Always remember the ones that stick out to us are usually the top of the pack — the way above average — and the bottom of the pack —the way below average.

7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Nov 29, 2020

I'd say, " No worries!" If the P was concerned about a certain parent or teacher, she probably would have popped onto their conferences. There is only so much time for those things.
    It is probably good and means parents aren't calling and complaining about you! :)

8. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Nov 30, 2020

I think the reason for my worry is due the fact that I'm new in this field. I've only been teaching for 2 years now. First as a KG teacher and now as a middle school teacher. I know there is something I can improve on, I can't be all perfect. I guess I'm just doubting myself. But as a school, shouldn't the admin.. P, AP check in to see how their new staff is doing. Especially during first parent teacher meeting, shouldn't they attend to see how the new teacher communicates with the parents even if she isn't getting any complains from them? This is what's worrying me... I feel I need some feedback, mentoring. If I wasn't new in the school, I'd be completely fine with it all

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 30, 2020

No news is good news! Extra time to "pop in" might be hard to come by right now so if they don't have to monitor everything that you do, they won't!

Teachingtoo likes this.
  10. Aces

Aces Devotee

Nov 30, 2020

You can always go to your P/VP and ask for that feedback. There’s nothing wrong with asking them “hey if you have time can pop into a couple of my classes because I need some feedback”. I’ma Vice Principal at my school and teachers do ask me hey can you pop in on this class. Actually had to do that today for a new teacher. But I caution you on this. Be prepared for negative feedback. Sometimes we open cans of worms without even realizing it.

Teachingtoo likes this.
  11. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Dec 3, 2020

As a new teacher, my AP, appraiser always popped into my parent meetings to see how I communicated with parents to support me. If they did not, probably they were busy or forgot to do so. You can always suggest that they observe your class to earn feedback but they also need to get their things done; so I am afraid they dont have time for you. Anw, talk to them if you want constructed feedback.

Teachingtoo likes this.
  12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 11, 2020

I have never heard of a principal being at a parent/teacher meeting unless their presence was requested.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 11, 2020

I have never heard of a principal being at a parent/teacher meeting unless their presence was requested.

14. Aces

Aces Devotee

Dec 11, 2020

Only time I attend is if I’m requested.

15. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Dec 12, 2020

It was a virtual parent teacher meeting. And we were told that the P, as well as the other admin staff would pop into meetings just to see how things are going. Maybe to make sure that we were actually in the meeting...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  16. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Dec 16, 2020

Have you been assigned a teacher coach? That's usually a red flag.

17. AmberP

AmberP Rookie

Jan 5, 2021

Hello. You think about it too much. Don't be afraid of not being good enough, I am sure if something goes wrong you will be told. Don't worry and focus on your work.