Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, May 2, 2013.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 2, 2013

I'm not sure if my past experiences (laid off from 2 different districts, two years in a row :( )has given me PTSD, or if I should be legitimately worried.

No one has really said a definitive word to me about next year, yet. I don't know if I'm in or out. There is some chaos going on - our student population has grown enormously, and there's a lot of shifting around, and some teachers transferring to a new building. I was concerned that no one talked to me about next year, so I confided my fears in another teacher. That teacher told a senior person at special services I was worried who, in turn, pulled me out of class to tell me "A little bird told me that you were worried about being renewed. You are a phenominal teacher and have absolutely nothing to worry about." That's great, but I don't know that it's her decision. I do think my principal thinks highly of me, though.

But, still, no one has handed me a contract for next year or told me anything definitive, yet. The law in NJ is that if I am not officially nonrenewed by 5/15, I am automatically hired for next year. I only wish I didn't have to spend the next 2 weeks worried about this. :unsure:

3. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

May 2, 2013

I still haven't gotten my contract yet, either - it is my second year at the school, and after floating around for a few years I still worry too! My admin did tell me I was recommended for renewal, and everyone else seems to be very relaxed about it, like "They send the contracts out later every year".

It sounds to me like you're in:) Rather than worry for the next 2 weeks, can you just ask your principal?

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 2, 2013

We never get ours until halfway through the year.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 2, 2013

Same here, although I "know" I'm returning.

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 2, 2013

Principal pretty much hasn't said a word to me all year. :haha: It's only through word of mouth that I hear she thinks highly of me. I only had one formal observation and that was by the dir. of special services. It went well and I got high marks.

Yes, I should just go ask her, but I'm such a wimp. :eek:

7. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 2, 2013

Yikes! In California they have to let us know by March 15th (although the shadier districts still find ways around this). I can't imagine having to wait until the last few weeks of school!

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 2, 2013

I hope it all works out for you, my NJ friend :)

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 2, 2013

We don't find out until after lunch on the last teacher workday after the kids leave for the summer.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 2, 2013

Our P doesn't have the ability to "nonrenew" anyone! If she did, I know of one teacher at our school who would be gone for sure. Unfortunately, she has no idea what that teacher is going to do next year (currently out on mysterious "medical leave" - it's a long, long story), so it's delaying all of her decisions about who teaches what grades for next year!

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 2, 2013

Well you can wait and worry for two weeks, or contact your P or your special service director. I would vote for scheduling a meeting to talk about your placement for next year so that you can start gathering materials and work on your classroom order.

12. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 15, 2013

So, I never talked to my principal about this. I figured, why should I put it in her head that she might not want me back? :)

As it stands, my principal has not said a word to me. She smiles and says hello when she walks by or pops in my room but not a word about next year. Is this odd? Is she just assuming that I am assuming that I am back for next year? I just figured I would have some type of official meeting where someone would tell me "Congratulations, you'll be back next year." LOL By the way, I have not yet signed a contract for next year but no one in my district has. Contracts were renegotiated and were just voted through on Monday.

Anyway, today is May 15, the deadline for non-renewal. In New Jersey public schools, if a teacher is not officially non-renewed by 5/15, s/he automatically is rehired for next year. In fact, I got this email from a union rep several weeks ago:

NON-TENURED MEMBERS: In the event that you have received notification of continued employment for the following school year or if NO notice is given by May 15th, you must accept the BOE's offer of employment in writing by June 1st. NJEA suggests that you do this immediately after May 15th and not wait until the deadline.

Do you think I should talk to my principal first or just write an acceptance letter to the board? I feel silly writing an acceptance letter when no one has said anything to me yet.

13. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 15, 2013

Your union just said something to you about it. I would just go ahead with that.

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 15, 2013

When I was non-tenured, I waited to get the contract from the board and then signed it...I didn't have to give any other acceptance. If they just renegotiated the contract, they might not have everything until the next board meeting. If no one in the district has received anything, I wouldn't be too worried. You didn't hear anything, so you have a job for next year. Yay!

15. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 15, 2013

There is nothing that you need to do except what the union described to you. I would ask for their guidance, then relax. You made it!