Should I be nervous yet?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by alifoo, May 25, 2011.

1. alifoo

alifoo Rookie

May 25, 2011

I have been applying for my 1st teaching job since early March. I've applied at many school districts, and have had one interview. I'm starting to get really nervous about not getting a job. Is it too early for me to be nervous? When is the peak hiring time for teaching positions? When should I start looking for a non-teaching job? Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 25, 2011

I wouldn't get nervous yet. The peak hiring time does vary by state and district and even school. But many times teachers are not hired until the summer and some aren't hired until after school begins.

4. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

May 26, 2011

In this economy, more and more school districts are waiting until the last minute for their yearly budget and enrollment numbers to be finalized. There's still a significant window of hiring these coming months.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

I didn't get a single interview until mid-late June last year. Believe me, I was worried! It turned out that most schools just wanted to wait until school was out to deal with hiring. I got at least one new interview per week after first one. I didn't get hired until late July. I tried to go around and revoke my applications to other places after I got a job, but I had literally applied to hundreds of places so it was hard to remember everything, especially if it was a small application for an individual school, so some stayed out there. I was still getting calls in early-mid August for interviews!

6. TeacherLyn

TeacherLyn Rookie

May 26, 2011

You will get more chances to be interviewed the closer it gets to the school year. However, as someone who has been looking for a position since last year, I strongly advice you to apply everywhere! Apply for teaching and non-teaching jobs that you are qualified for. Also, keep in mind that there are no guarantees for new teachers to be re-hired the following year. Best of luck!

7. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 28, 2011

I'm nervous too, even though school hasn't ended yet. They are posting open positions & to not have heard back still makes me nervous even though school is not out yet. It's almost June then July will zoom by, then it's time for school to start.

One year I was hired 2nd quarter & it was a disaster so I never want to start late in the year again. I really need at least a few weeks to get things together before school starts, so yep, nervous over here.

8. Ms.teach

Ms.teach Rookie

Jun 2, 2011

Do not be nervous yet...Principals almost everywhere do not have their allottments yet. Where I am, jobs are not even posted for elementary, even in the four surrounding counties.

I graduated two years ago when things were really getting rough for job seekers in this area. The college did not prepare us for the reality of the job market. I've done subbing and taught preschool in daycare. Finally this year I got a decent temporary position. For the third school year since graduation I am yet again unsure as to whether or not I'll have a job and I'm one of many.

Stay positive and keep busy. Mail out resumes to all schools you would be willing to go to, e-mail principals (I've gotten many interviews through this) and if the school year begins and your are jobless substitute because it helps yuou get a foot in the door.

9. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 2, 2011

It is WAY early. My district is still only open to internal candidates and is not expecting to even consider outside people until at least July. Most likely however we will not be doing much outside hiring.

10. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 2, 2011

There is still time. I agree, around here a lot of towns are holding off hiring until they pass their budgets.

When I graduate from college in 1990, it was a very bad year to be looking for a teaching job. I had just about given up when a local district posted a position in late July. Someone had quit last minute. I interviewed, got the job, and signed my contract on August 22! I had about 4 days to get a totally empty room ready! But I was so happy I didn't mind.

So the point is--don't give up. You just never know. :)

11. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 3, 2011

I was at my school today and my principal said he won't even think of hiring for the two open slots we have until sometime in July so he can see what our enrollment does over the next few weeks. I didn't get my offer last year until July 6th and we started pre-planning the last week of July! Hang in there....it's still early in the game right now.

12. christine89

christine89 Companion

Jun 3, 2011

I wouldn't worry too much yet. I've been sending stuff out since February and since then I've got many letters saying positions for filled, one interview for which I didn't get the job, and 3 interviews in the last 2 weeks that I haven't heard back from yet. Believe me, I know it's hard to stay positive but please try! Districts hire at different times. I know I won't really start majorly stressing until August-September! Stay positive and keep trying!

13. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 4, 2011

It's still early, don't give up! I interviewed one day and my principal called the next day hours before open house welcome to offer me the position.