Should I be more nervous/stressed out?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by FutureFLTeacher, Aug 3, 2007.

1. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I'm worried that perhaps I'm not nervous or as stressed out as I should be about the upcoming school year. If that even makes any sense at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm anxious to get the ball rolling and a little nervous about teaching for the first time. But some of my friends are just down right on the verge of either a nervous breakdown or needing to be medicated. They are completely freaking out about everything...from seating charts, to lesson plans, homework assignments to paperwork organization and filing. I guess I'm just kind of taking one day at a time because obviously, having never taught before, getting worked up over the whole situation isn't going to make the beginning of the school year go any smoother for myself or my students.

Compared to so many other first year teachers I know, I'm wondering if perhaps I need to stress out? LOL (Which isn't my personality at all...) :)

3. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I think that maybe we are cut from the same clothe. I wasn't nervous my first year and I was an intern. I was anxious and ready to get going, but not nervous until the night before.

You will have your moments! However, people are different. I was never really close to my breaking point. My superviosr actually asked me how I dealt so well with the pressure. He said I was always cool, calm and collected. I told him that I didn't know, because when he said I was cool, calm and collected I felt like I was going to loose it. I guess some just wear thier stress differently.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2007

Nope.

You know your stuff. You know what has to be done.

Anticipation is one thing. A nervous breakdown is something else. Kids can smell fear. You need to keep the confidence up-- you're a professional and this is what you've studied forever to do.

5. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Aug 3, 2007

Being nervous or stressed out (especically to the point of being on the verge of a breakdown), are not very productive emotions. As long as you are preparing yourself for the year ahead, then you're going to be fine. I also don't get stressed too easily, and I always like to chalk it up to the fact that I am confident in my abilities. But then again, maybe I'm just full of myself... ;)

It sounds to me like you are approaching the year with a great attitude and I'm sure you'll do well! There's plenty of time to get stressed out later, when something stressful actually happens, and everyone here on the message boards will be happy to help you feel better then, too!

Best of luck! (Not that you need luck...)

6. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I wasn't nervous before my first year (possibly because I got hired 4 days before school started). I am, however, extremely nervous starting my 3rd year. I think it has to do with worrying that I'm not going to as good a job teaching as my first 2 years. Not very logical thinking, but I had two great groups of kids the last 2 years. I've got so many ideas of things that I want to do this year, that I don't know where to start. I always try to do too many new things at once.

7. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

I'm not nervous or stressed yet so you aren't alone. Personally, I find putting together seating arrangements, writing syllabus, getting all my stuff together fun and not stressful. I know the night before I will be nervous, I'm sure... but Im more excited than anything else

8. koocat008

koocat008 Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I spent all last year wishing i wasn't nervous and stressed out to the point of unproductivity! Just enjoy yourself, like you said, take it one day at a time. Get things done, and don't let your confidence falter from listening to your nervous friends.

9. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Aug 4, 2007

Thanks everyone for assuring me that I'm in the right place mentally so to speak. :)

I figure there is no reason for me to get stressed out about anything because frankly, I have no clue what to expect in the first place! As Alice said, kids can sense fear and if I go into the first day/week/month of the school year stressed out beyond belief, they are going to be equally stressed out. My goal is to make all of our time together as stress free, engaging, educational and fun as possible.

Here's hoping that we all have a great school, devoid of as much stress and nervousness as possible! ;)

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 4, 2007

Good for you. A lot of what you do as a teacher is go with the flow. You are in charge, but constantly adjusting what you do to meet the kids and the environment. That's what keeps it interesting.