Should I avoid mentioning my admin credential when applying for teaching positions?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sarge, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2016

What do you think?

3. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jun 9, 2016

I could see it either way, depending on the school you are applying to. On one hand, it shows commitment, education and leadership potential. On the other hand, it brings to attention the fact that you most likely don't have plans of remaining in the classroom for very long. I suppose it all boils down to what the school finds important.

bandnerdtx likes this.
  4. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 9, 2016

I wouldn't.

Oops. I misread the question. I WOULD avoid mentioning an admin credential if interviewing for a teaching job. I also think one of the main messages it sends is that you are not long for the classroom.

Good luck.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 9, 2016

If it's listed on your resume, then they already know. I might mention it briefly during the standard "tell me your background" question, but I would let the focus of the interview be on your teaching accomplishments.

bandnerdtx likes this.
  6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 9, 2016

If the classes are on your transcript, it is not going to be a secret - any other admin is going to take one look at your transcript and know precisely what credential you hold. Many schools hire admin at the entry levels from within, so having the credential may be a good thing. Do you shout it from the rooftop during the interview? Probably not, but in this day and age where tenure can be elusive, no one can promise to stay in the classroom for more than the year in the contract. I would bring it up if asked, or the situation seemed right, but I wouldn't make an interview for a teaching position all about how much you really want to be an admin.

bandnerdtx likes this.
  7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 10, 2016

The only people who see transcripts in our district are the people in HR. I've never seen an applicant's transcript.

It wouldn't keep us from hiring someone. No one (or at least no one you'd want to work for...) begrudges anyone a chance to move higher up the ladder. However, we would probably want to hear in the interview that if you choose to move up, you'd like to do that within our district, that way training wouldn't seem like a waste of money.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 10, 2016

I would mention it in the context of being a good candidate because you are a trained teacher leader.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 10, 2016

I wouldn't hide it, but I would downplay it during a teacher interview. I don't think any educational education hurts teachers!

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 11, 2016

I don't see any issue with alluding to this. Offhand, I can think of at least half a dozen teachers who have their credential in my building.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2016

I'm only going to take a teaching job in a district where I'd want to be an administrator. If I wanted otherwise, I'd stay in my own district.

bandnerdtx likes this.