Should I Ask?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by TeachingTy2010, Jul 14, 2010.

1. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

What should I ask the principal once I got the job? Like about the class, first grade, the school, etc?

And since I haven't signed the contract yet do you think she would let me see the "room" I will be teaching in?

3. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Jul 14, 2010

I'm sure the principal wouldn't mind giving you a tour. If you don't ask you won't know! :)

4. NewNCTeach

NewNCTeach Rookie

Jul 14, 2010

I say ask about whatever you want to know. I am still a new teacher (going into my third year) and everything that was discussed in the interview had changed by time school started. I interviewed and was hired for third grade, when I started the week before school, that had changed to second. My room was changed and so were many other things. You won't know some things unless you ask and be aware that everything is subject to change until the very first day of school. Good luck!

5. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Jul 14, 2010

I have seen this post before....

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 14, 2010

Hopefully the principal will be more than happy to accommodate your requests. Usually they'll offer to show you the room right away, or if they're not sure of the grade, they'll show you a classroom or two so you can see what they're like.

7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 15, 2010

I would definitely ask what materials will be provided for you, and what you will need to order (and maybe how to do ordering through the county if possible). We got a new team member a few days before school started last year, and she had NOTHING (not even desks). We had to rush to order her materials, and search our rooms for things for her to use. Luckily, she got desks the day before school started!

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 15, 2010

You have gotten some great advise on this, and the other four forums it was posted on. Remember on Forum Etiquette we are asked not to post the same thing on different forums. :)