Should I apporach principal at school I ST at?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SpringGirl14, Dec 14, 2010.

1. SpringGirl14

SpringGirl14 Rookie

Dec 14, 2010

My student teaching is ending :D and now I have to decide if I should approach the principal of the school I am at about future jobs.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2010

I would briefly meet with the P with resume in hand. Let her know that you are interested in positions that might become available next semester or the following year. Keep it short and simple. Good luck!

4. cheerfulfifi

cheerfulfifi Rookie

Dec 14, 2010

If there's time (and I'm not sure if there is from what you posted), but you could ask him to come in an observe one of your lessons. He may be interested enough to keep you in mind... plus you could get a great reference letter.

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 14, 2010

There are at least one-hundred reasons he might not be making eye contact so don't think it's just you.

Meet with him, give him your resume', tell him you'd sure love to have an opportunity to work for him, and then roll on.

You might ask the secretaries how the district hires their subs.

Good luck.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 14, 2010

Go for it.
    I asked one of mine for a mock interview ... it was a great experience.

7. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Dec 15, 2010

When I was finishing up my student teaching, I went in to the AP in charge of personnel and asked if they expected any openings. She said no.

I waited and waited until end of September, and BAM, a job was posted. I applied, called her to bring back up the conversation and tell her I applied, came in for interview the next day, got the job by the end of the day.

8. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Dec 16, 2010

Absolutely! Try and get the P in there for an observation but at the very least make an appt (even if you are "working" there, don't just pop in) and give the P your resume. Make sure to stress if you are interested in any LTS or day to day positions that might be coming up too.

I did this at the end of my STing and my P called me for a LTS job which I had to turn down because I had just been hired (that day) at a different school. She called me again 2 months later to let me know about interview for a FT position and to see if I would consider leaving my current job. I didn't feel right about that but I felt wonderful knowing I made a good impression and I really think it was that observation and last meeting. I didn't have a whole lot of contact with her otherwise.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 16, 2010

We've hired four of our student teachers.

One was so good that he was told not to worry about applying anywhere else.

10. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 17, 2010

Go for it! and let us know how it went. Good luck.

11. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Dec 18, 2010

Never hurts to advertise yourself! Good luck!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 19, 2010

Sure, it never hurts to make an appt to sit down & talk w/ the P. Don't just try to catch the person in passing. :)

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 21, 2010

This is EXACTLY the way that I landed a job in my district!!!

I didn't realize that the principal at the school where I did my student teaching was being moved to another elementary school site in the same district (principals are normally shifted every five years in my district).

Anyway, she needed to hire a 1st grade teacher (at her new site) and she called human resources (the same day we had our conversation about job openings) to let them know that she'd like them to set up an interview for me.

About a week later, I had an interview (this was May 2005) and that same day, I was offered the position. I started my position in August 2005 and I'm still in the same district.

Who knows where I'd be if I hadn't approached her! GO FOR IT!!! :thumb: