should I apply for a prek position?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by tb71, Apr 22, 2009.

1. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Apr 22, 2009

Any thoughts on whether or not teaching PreK is a good idea for a 1st year teacher? I'm in an ACP program and the school district I would really like to teach has an opening as PreK teacher. The preK program in this school district is only for "at-risk" children, based on economics or language barriers. It is also only a 50% position, which would actually work out well--I currently work in the family business and it may help by allowing me to still be able to help out and maybe I wouldn't feel so guilty about leaving the family business. However, with all that being said--teaching PreK would not have been my first choice--I would much rather teach 3-6 grade math and/or science. Of course, I could be wrong--maybe I would love PreK. Any thoughts from those seasoned teachers out there would be appreciated.

3. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Apr 22, 2009

My first year was as a pre-school teacher (3-4yr olds) So far I'm really liking it. Its more relaxed than the formal schooling years and I'm finding it easier to deal with parents of this age group coz I understand the age group very well (I've worked with babies - 4yrs for close on 9 years now), I don't have to 'fail' kids or decide if they're repeating a year, they just move up with their age group, we can start to identify problems but the furthest we go is observing, documenting and suggesting evaluations (which are all done privately)

I also want to move to the upper grades, but perhaps this is exactly what I needed this year.

It won't hurt to apply!

4. KarenPreK

KarenPreK Companion

Apr 23, 2009

I taught Pre-K my 1st year. Going in, I wasn't thrilled about it, because I really wanted to teach 2nd grade, but at the same time I was excited to have my own classroom no matter what grade it was. I made up my mind that I was going to make the best of it, enjoy my time there, and then I could move on to another grade the following year. Well, I loved it so much I stayed, and now 11 years later I'm still in Pre-K.

I think to be successful in Pre-K, you need good organizational skills and very good classroom management skills. A teacher with weak classroom management skills will fail miserably in Pre-K. I've seen it happen. If you do take the job, my suggestion would be to find some way to get some prior experience working with young children so that you will know exactly what you're going to be dealing with in advance: sub in a daycare for the summer or work a summer camp or something. Because little people are a whole different ballgame. (I myself had worked with children from babies to 3 years old prior to Pre-K, so I knew exactly where these kids were coming from.)

5. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Apr 23, 2009

Ha Ha Ha, this is funny. Just so you know, I am in the classroom 2 1/2 hours a day with my kiddies, but I probably spend about 6 hours a day for them (prepping, organizing, etc.) I hope you understand that (especially as a first year teacher, like me) that to be a creative teacher, almost everything is teacher made (my district does not allow worksheets) so everything I do needs a ton of prep work. So, don't count on helping out too much with the family business. There won't be a whole lot of time.
    Also, I agree with the post above about getting experience with this age group. I have two young children of my own who went to the preschool I now teach at (it was cooperative so I was able to work in the classroom 2x a month). I knew I loved it and am blessed to be teaching there now. I really believe that your heart must be in it to teach (esp. this age group) and if you have any doubts after you experience it, stick with what you love. Pre-K is a lot of hard work!

6. rosew

rosew Companion

Apr 26, 2009

Funny you should mention all the prep work..when I went back to work after my kids were in school I said I wanted a job that I wouldnt be taking home with me..well the minute I get home from teaching the 3 year olds, I spend hours coming up with ideas, crafts, home made games, flannel stories etc..but if you love what you do you then you dont mind it..

rose

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2009

TAKE IT! It will grow on you and you will find it very different BUT fun AND exciting! Where else can you act like a KID and get paid for it?
    YOU JUST HAVE TO STAY A STEP AHEAD OF THEM AND DON'T LET THEM SEE YOU SWEAT!:lol:
    You'll enjoy it,
    Rebel1

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2009

Apply for everything in districts/schools in which you want to teach- it's a foot in the door.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2009

In this economy, apply EVERYWHERE for ANYTHING. This is not a climate in which job searchers can be picky.

Around here, at least, I don't think there's any such thing as a grade 3-5 math/science teacher. The middle school changes classes, but my 5th grade son has his regular classroom teacher for both math and science.