should I add old jobs

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by luv2teach444, Jul 19, 2016.

1. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jul 19, 2016

to my resume? Currently my resume is 2 pages & it only goes back about 4 years & has bullet points stating what I did. I am toying with applying for a college adjunct job. So I am wondering if I should add my old jobs - going back 20yrs in education (all part time jobs).
    I almost think showing the old jobs might help as well for a regular classroom job since it shows so much more experience, but for a regular resume I couldn't have all the bullet points listed with all the jobs or my resume would be 10pgs long (not quite).

3. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

Mine has always been two pages. My original went back 9 years. I actually hired someone who has a website (a former principal) to redo my resume. It's still 2 pages but he combined a lot, took out a lot, and it's fabulous. I would suggest that. If you want the website. Let me know. He was extremely helpful.

4. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jul 19, 2016

I would love to check out his website

5. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

Here you go...it's legit...I had a video conference with him last month...he is awesome! The money was worth it when I saw the final products! : http://www.teacher-express.com/

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2016

2 pages for only 4 years experience seems overly long for a short period of work experience. Start by editing what you have before adding older experience.

7. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jul 19, 2016

I've got all those darn bullet points that were recommended. Which I think is useless, cause my resume says I was a substitute or a tutor
    -a principal knows exactly what the job entailed 'cause he hires people just like me at his school.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2016

I've been teaching 19 years. I haven't updated my resume lately, but last time I did, it fit one page. Yours is too long for showing only 4 years. Maybe if you posted here (disguise identifying info), we could tweak...bullets are great, you may just have too many.

bella84 and luv2teach444 like this.
  9. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jul 20, 2016

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

CRACKER BARREL

Cashier 6/2016-Current

XXX SCHOOL

Interim, Pre-School Aide 4/2016 -5/2016

• Assist teacher in daily classroom activities, including leading small group activities and supervise students

• Observe and discuss with lead teacher student’s academic achievement

• Maintain attendance records, permission slips and student money
    XXX ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

Interim, Pre-School Aide 9/2015 -11/2015

• Assisted teacher in daily classroom activities, including leading small group activities and supervision of students

• Observed and discussed with lead teacher student’s academic achievement
    xxxx SCHOOL

Title 1 Intervention Teacher 2014-2015

• Small group and 1:1 instruction in various grade levels of culturally diverse students including students with limited English proficiency

• Incorporated guided reading, manipulatives and games to garner excitement in learning

• Established rapport with students by creating a positive , relaxed learning environment

• Collaborated with classroom teachers
    N COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION

Substitute Teacher 2011-Current

• Assumed all responsibilities of classroom teachers

• Administered successful classroom management including school wide discipline plans

• Proven substitute in multiple grade levels in numerous schools
    Afterschool Childcare Worker 2012-2015

• Implemented student safety and supervision procedures during outside play time

• Facilitated weekly art lesson

• Tutored elementary students with homework assignments
    Communicated effectively with parents

Afterschool Childcare Tutor 2012-2013

• Planned and taught a variety of intervention activities to struggling students

• Incorporated traditional phonics , sight word games and technology into each session
    E ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

Interim, First Grade 11/2012-12/2012

• Maintained the regular classroom routine

• Utilized established classroom management plan

• Upheld collaborative lessons through work stations
    Student Teacher, First Grade 1/2012-4/2012

• Demonstrated effective classroom management

• Designed lessons in accordance with state standards

• Integrated technology in daily lessons

• Collaborated daily with classroom teacher and modified lessons as needed

• Differentiated instruction to meet needs of students

PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

SEMINARS

• Children’s Literature the Fun Way 7/2015

• A-Z Phonics-Breaking the Code 7/2015

• A Day in the Life of a Kindergarten Teacher 7/2014

• Christmas in July 7/2014

• Ready to Add Rigor to Your Room 6/2014

• Effective Implementation for the Token Economy 6/2014
    THE LEADER IN ME LEADERSHIP DAY 5/2015

e Elementary

CONFERENCE 2013

ACTION PLAN FOR LITERACY SEMINAR 2012

TECHNOLOGY INITIATIVE
    (I) 2012

• Pre-service Certification in Year 1 Grade 3 Math

• Pre-service Certification in Year 1 Grade 3 Science
    A INITIATIVE 2012

• Beginning reading
    NATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR THE EDUCATION OF YOUNG CHILDREN conference 2011

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2016

Get rid of Cracker Barrel. It doesn't count as 'Professional experience' on a teaching resume
    Combine your 'pre school aide' positions. They are similar enough to be one entry. You can list both locations and dates, just put all bullets under
    Your PD needs some editing.

I'm sure others will weigh in.

otterpop likes this.
  11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2016

TECHNOLOGY INITIATIVE (I) 2012

• Pre-service Certification in Year 1 Grade 3 Math
    • Pre-service Certification in Year 1 Grade 3 Science
    A INITIATIVE 2012

Is this part of your licensing requirements? If so, then I would not add in resume

e Elementary

CONFERENCE 2013

More information is needed to know what this is and where it goes. If a lot of this is PD you paid for and pursued on your own, then it could be useful in detailing your interest, but you should find a way to consolidate these by topic or subject matter so that you don't have a page of just PD. I have no idea what most of those names mean, but if you told me you did multiple conferences and seminars in XXX, which improved your teaching by XXX, that would make sense.

Ditto to getting rid of Cracker Barrel, and if those pre-service certs are just a part of your required education, then I don't believe they belong here, either.

12. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jul 21, 2016

right Cracker Barrel doesn't exactly belong, but I wanted to show I am working somewhere. I could change the title I guess

13. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jul 21, 2016

I only paid for two of the conferences (2011 & 2013)
    - the initiave is extra - what some schools are looking for - not everyone gets the training, but my college offered it.
    all the seminars listed are what I chose to go to during the summer they are free for teachers & you can choose what you want, so I did

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2016

Nothing wrong with having the PD, but it is the listing of countless titles. Summarize what you learned in those PD workshops, and how you have incorporated what you learned into your teaching and skill set. The actual name is of little importance, the skill set is. As far as Cracker Barrel, lose it. You are looking for a teaching job, and you list yourself as a current sub - they don't need to know about Cracker Barrel. As far as the initiatives, it will be on your transcript or not? If it is on your transcript, find a way to summarize the skill set. I, personally, don't feel that the student teaching belongs, because it is kind of a given, and, once again, it is on your transcript, with a grade. I agree with consolidating the preschool aide positions - the where and who will be listed on your application, but isn't needed here.

I freely admit that I have my resume written, but I know what I want it to convey. I want someone to take all of my experiences and training and turn it into a concise statement and inventory of my skill sets. It doesn't matter if I subbed at 1 school or 10 - what did I learn that I can apply to the position I am applying for? That is what a potential employer wants to know, summarized, in your resume. For what it is worth, I have sent my written resume back to the author until it is right. I may not have the time or interest to write it myself, but I know a good resume when I see it.

15. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jul 21, 2016

don't have a clue what skill sets I've learned. I figured the names would be important to show that I have taken classes pertaining to grades I want to teach

No, known of them will be on my transcript since they weren't required by the college

I thought a resume should have every job you've held - that is what is on the online application so I would think they need to match, so I'm not seen as lying

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2016

The emphasis is on showing the skills you possess that enables the employer to make an educated choice when adding staff. Honestly, if you can't summarize your skill sets to sell your attributes, who is going to take on the task? The resume is so much more than a list of jobs or PD that means nothing out of context. Ideally, it will show how you have acquired and grown as a teacher (in this case) and how you will be an asset to the district.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    bella84 likes this.
  17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2016

Get rid of it. Schools don't care about non-Ed related experience.

bella84 likes this.
  18. TchrJobCoach

TchrJobCoach Guest

Jul 24, 2016

Hi KTMiller222! Thanks for putting in a link for my resume writing and interview coaching services and a live video conference I offered this summer! Hope all is well.

It is difficult to generalize single answers that apply for all. Every applicant is unique and you need to promote your skills and achievements. How you organize your resume is up to you, but I suggest that you include a strong clear career goal and follow that with your skills, all at the top of Page 1. You may only get 7-10 seconds in front of the reviewers, so place SOLUTIONS to their goals in prime real estate in your resume. By the way, 2 pages is fine if you can get reviewers to be interested enough on Page 1 to turn to Page 2.

Good Luck everyone!

19. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 26, 2016

I didn't know PD was part of your resume. I've never listed PD on mine.
    Does everyone do that?

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2016

Meh. It depends. I do t think I'd list all the workshops the OP referenced. Better to highlight proficiency in technology skills, literacy,math. I have NO IDEA what some of the offerings listed are....Christmas in July???

vickilyn likes this.
  21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2016

If you can't speak to what you learned at workshops, don't put them on your resume. They are just filling space.

22. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jul 28, 2016

They are just works
    They are just workshops offered free for teachers over the summer so they can get their required hours. I took them just 'cause

23. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2016

But what skills did you acquire from attending these? I took some PD in using inquiry, another in PBL, another in Google for Education, and I immediately brought new skills into my classroom, using them from day one. I don't list the PD - I sell the skill sets, and you should be able to do the same. I saw you asking about the Leader in Me - if you know what it proposes, if you can use the skills, share the skill set, tell how that makes you a better candidate. If you walked away without incorporating any of the skills in what you can do, forget it. You can't just throw the title around without understanding why that would be considered important to a district. Either you know/understand/and practice those skills, or it is bogus to put it on your resume. If you are serious about looking for a job, you first need to be serious about taking an inventory of your usable skill sets, able to see why they would matter to a potential employer. If you took PD "just because" employers may think you spent the whole time texting, not really listening, if you can't express what skills and changes you were able to bring into the classroom after the PD.

Really, do a skill set inventory. Once you truly have done that, you will be ready to rewrite this resume so it becomes a functional way to "sell" your services to an employer.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2016

And again, the 'I took them just 'cause' doesn't speak highly of either the quality of these offerings or the skills you developed as a result of taking them. Like your restaurant experience, these just become padding to fill out your resume when the entries on such paperwork should be things that paint a picture of who you are as a teacher, the skills you bring, your passions...I'm not sure you are understanding or internalizing the advice many here are offering.

25. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jul 28, 2016

thanks for your reply.
    I have not taught yet, so there's nothing I have brought into the classroom. Sure there is some things I've learned - but they are all basic things that I don't know how to add. I learned about leading a morning meeting instead of traditional calendar time. The Christmas one taught about using the many great Christmas books & incorporating them into the classroom. Learned about the token economy - knew about it previously - that one suggested using & it is a good option. A-Z phonics was mainly showing common ways to teach phonics. Showing a couple hands on ways to teach (using pool noodles for example). Yes, I went to a Leader in Me intro workshop where I watched the entire school sing songs about it. they were showing how to get your school involved in the movement.

26. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jul 28, 2016

Can you create a new document with all of your workshops attended and a little blurb about them and how you would apply the new knowledge and skills in your own classroom and take them off your main resume?

27. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2016

This is the first time you have ever made mention of the skills you gained. jadorelafrance has presented the perfect suggestion. Once you can truly identify what you have learned, maybe we can start to connect the dots to why it matters to prospective employers. Along the way, you now have a road map of where you have been to maybe do a little extra research about the real purpose behind all of that PD. If you find out more about what drives that PD, you can find out if any of it stuck with you. While you are at it, consider other skill sets you possess, and don't tell me you don't know. Think about it and start listing them. Then you are cooking with gas, and your resume has the potential to truly work for you!

luv2teach444 likes this.
  28. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 28, 2016

It's better to have one strong page than 2 useless pages filled with random things

29. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2016

ChildWhisperer, I would double like that if I could! ;)

ChildWhisperer likes this.
  30. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jul 28, 2016

I just don't see the skill sets - my skills are no different than any new teacher out there. Nothing that would set me apart .
    The only thing different I have would be 4 years of sub experience in all grade levels prek - 12.

31. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2016

It is time for some true words of wisdom:

If you are just like every other new teacher without a job, you may stay jobless, especially if those other new teachers learn how to categorize and emphasize their skill sets.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    luv2teach444 likes this.
  32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2016

If you don't think that you have any skills that set you apart, there is no way you will be able to sell yourself and get hired. Principals are not going to hire someone who doesn't feel that they have anything special to bring to the table. Participate in some meaningful professional development--courses, workshops, professional reading, etc. Find some teacher blogs to follow. There is a wealth of professional learning available on Twitter. Become passionate about learning your craft. Then you will have something that sets you apart.

luv2teach444 and bella84 like this.
  33. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Aug 16, 2016

I'm willing to learn

34. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Aug 17, 2016

I have taken quite a few PD courses, read a lot, but I just think so does every other teacher. The only thing I have would be basic sign language knowledge & 35k pins on Pinterest (almost all teaching ideas/blogs) &probably 1,000 books. Nothing special.

35. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2016

So, if I am interviewing you, and I ask why I should hire you, what would you say?

luv2teach444 likes this.
  36. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Aug 18, 2016

I have no idea! That's the problem I literally wouldn't now what to say. I'd probably stumble over the answer & then say something dumb like I love children(who doesn't) and that I love to watch them learn and the spark in their eyes when something clicks for the first time. Nothing special.

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2016

That's a typical answer. What makes you stand out?