Should first year teachers accept the first job offer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aspiringinstruc, May 23, 2013.

1. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

May 23, 2013

I am a recent graduated with a Bachelors of Science in ECE. I have been applying and waiting on interviews. I have already had one interview. I'm Waiting to hear from that one as well. Since I will be a first year teacher and teaching jobs aren't guaranteed.. should I accept the first job offer?

3. tinkertot

tinkertot Rookie

May 23, 2013

I did...the job market is so difficult here that I didn't want to risk losing out on the position. It wasn't ideal but it was a stepping stone in the journey! :)

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 23, 2013

I did, too. Never regretted it for a second!

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 23, 2013

Yes, take the job if they offer it!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 23, 2013

I'm not a first year teacher, and I will be accepting the first job offer in my home state. This is the fourth year I've looked in the state since graduating in 2006. I still haven't received an offer, so I will definitely not be picky.

I also accepted my first offer as a newbie and I love my school. Out of my interviews, it was not close to my first choice. The stars aligned, and I landed in the right place.

7. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 23, 2013

I graduated May 2012. Didnt find a job for last year and accepted the first job offer I got this year. I'm moving 3 1/2 hours away to a very rural county but I couldn't wait another year to start working. I need the money and I need the self esteem even more(felt like a total loser returning to may retail job after graduating college).

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 23, 2013

I did the first time I searched...the second time, I turned down the first offer for a second offer that came a few days later. You have to do what is best for you, but in this economy, you can't really be picky either.

9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 23, 2013

I turned down the first offer I got, but probably would not have done if I were in elementary or a tougher market.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 24, 2013

Not to sound rude...I'm saying this in a more comical way, but in this economy & how competitive it is out there, you better accept the first offer! :) If you truly didn't picture yourself doing that specific job, you shouldn't have applied in the first place & wasted your time doing so.

I'd accept it, so I'm set & can breathe a sigh of relief, but if there was time to still get hired for something else you'd rather want & you didn't just start the first job yet, THEN, you can decline the 1st once you got the 2nd one IF it's more of what you desire.

11. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

May 24, 2013

I did, 23 years ago, and I don't regret it!

12. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

May 24, 2013

I plan on accepting my first offer! LOL

13. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

May 24, 2013

I am only applying to jobs that I would accept. I know I am not cut out for 4th or 5th grades so I am not applying for those. I also know I am not willing to drive halfway across the county for a job so I didn't apply for far off jobs. That being said, I am fortunate to not have to have a full time job and can still sub for the time being. But if a great job comes along, I will jump on it.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 24, 2013

I did. With the job market in my area, it was nothing short of a miracle that there even WAS a first job offer. If I'd waited for a second offer, it likely never would have come.

In most areas of the country, in this job market - "Beggars can't be choosers."

(I am very happy in this job, by the way. First offer can = a great experience!)

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 24, 2013

Yes. A brd in the hand....

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 24, 2013

I accepted my first offer, and I am very happy with it (even though I had to move almost 6 hours away). The funny thing is that ever since I moved, I've still been checking Edjoin for job postings, not because I want to leave, but because I'm curious what else is out there. and I tell you: there have been maybe 1-2 jobs I would have been interested in (English, high school, at-risk youth), and not many high school English in general. 10-15, and this is for the entire California.
    I don't know what I would have done if didn't get this job. I was sure that there would be a lot of postings from the Los Angeles court / community schools, and there was nothing (and that is a huge district).
    So, for me: I think this was meant to be, perfect timing, the type of job I wanted.
    For everyone: take the first job offer, especially if you're a new teacher! If the job looked good enough for you to apply for, to go an interview, follow up and wait, then it must be good enough for you to accept it :)

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 24, 2013

I accepted my first offer and it was not a good place. However, it led to my second offer and I LOVE my current school! I figured it all worked out for a reason :)

18. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 24, 2013

I do this too every once in awhile, and I love my school and don't want to leave. It's kind of fascinating to me, like some kind of really weird hobby.

And it solidifies the fact that no, there are truly no jobs where we moved from an hour a way. :rolleyes:

19. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

May 28, 2013

Thanks for your responses guys!

20. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

May 28, 2013

The first time yes I did. They 2nd time I was more picky.

21. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

May 28, 2013

You can't be picky and I would definitely accept your first offer if you get one. My first year out of college I was somewhat picky - I only applied to select districts/select grade levels and of course I did not get hired. My second year out of college I applied to almost every district in my entire state and a neighboring state. I got a couple interviews and only one offer - good thing I accepted! After leaving that district, I interviewed again again and only got one offer my second time around as well. It is a tough market, and even if its not your ideal position/district, you can always build your resume and be pickier next time around.

22. fairy_teach00

fairy_teach00 Rookie

May 28, 2013

I did!! I will be a first year teacher as well and accepted the first offer I got. The job market is tight and competitive, take what you can get. My college prof always told us "if you don't accept the offers, then why did you apply to the district/school?" Unless you have 2 offers at the same time then you it's easier to make choices. However, if it's only first and only offer...I would get my foot in the door!

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 28, 2013

Congrats!!! I'm adding you to our 2013-14 jobs list :)