Shortest interview....EVER!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by WhatchaDoin?, Jul 25, 2011.

1. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Jul 25, 2011

Last week, I interviewed for a position in the school where I frequently substitute (about 100 day to days, as well as a long term at the end of the year). The first (aprox.) 10 minutes was about the position, as well as the procedure for approval of the position and notifying the "successful" candidate. The last part of the interview consisted of very limitting questions - what is your certification, what is your experience with team teaching, team planning, using data, etc. It was a total of 5 questions. I was in and out in 15 minutes.

My question is:
    Has anyone had such a short interview that actually ended as a success?

3. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 25, 2011

Could it have been a screening interview?

4. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Jul 25, 2011

Maybe because they knew you they didn't want to waste your time/energy with more difficult questions.

I'm sure you are very familiar to them so they had all the information they needed.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2011

I was offered a job on the spot after being asked questions about the scores spreadsheet I had brought along. I only interviewed with the principal, but she showed my scores to several people who would come out and tell me how great my scores were. She gave me a tour of the school and then offered me the job.

6. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2011

Umm yes my first ever teacher interview was very short and to the point. I sucked!!! Needless to say I didn't get that job. BUT the following year I interviewed with the same principal and did a much better job. In fact when he called to tell me that they weren't going to hire me he applauded me on how my interviewing skills had gotten 1000 times better and the only reason why he didn't hire me was because it was a testable grade and the other candidate had more experience then I did. Him telling me that was such an ego booster. I had worked my butt off to get better and work on my portfolio over that year.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2011

My interview at my current school was about 10 minutes long. I was then taken on a tour of the school and got "the call" a few hours later.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 25, 2011

My interview for my first job was exactly 30, and they kept looking at the clock the entire time. I recieved a call about three hours later offering me the job that I was POSITIVE I wasn't going to get. So, yes, I had a short interview that ended with success and hopefully you will too :)

9. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 25, 2011

Most interviews around where I live are that short. I was stunned after my first interview.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2011

Will there be second interviews? It's possible that this was a screening interview.

My interview for my current school was probably about 30 minutes. This year, we hired some people and I noticed that the interview slots were back to back in 20 minute intervals- so one person at 5, the next at 5:20, etc. So they obviously only talked to them for a few minutes. However, we also did demo lessons. So they chose about 10 people to do demo lessons, called 5 back for short interviews, and made their decision after the 10-15 minute interviews.

11. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Jul 25, 2011

scores?

What scores? Scores of your students? Scores of your personal performance?

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 25, 2011

Hmmmm.... that is short. But I guess if they know you and have seen you in action, how much time do they really need?

13. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Jul 25, 2011

I went on an interview last week that was probably 25 minutes. I got there early and went in a few minutes after I got there and was out about 6 minutes after my scheduled time was supposed to start. I feel I answered all their questions to the best of my ability. I do worry that it was too short and that there were a few times that I said my answer and they kept writing so no one was speaking. I am supposed to hear soon either way as the individual who does second rounds wasn't in last week.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2011

I had a spreadsheet of beginning of the year scores for the class and broken into the sub-pops as well as the end of year scores and the percentage of improvement for each student, overall and the sub-pops.

15. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 26, 2011

The interview that got me my teaching position was less than 15 minutes! Don't worry about it. They already pretty much know you.

16. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Jul 27, 2011

It wasn't a screening interview. The Principal also said that the successful candidate would be notified by mail from the county's H.R. I have a feeling the candidate would have some kind of phone call or heads up...I don't know.

I just really wanted to become a part of this staff. It was also my first interview in a loooooong time.