Short teachers- what do you wear?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by fedfanforever11, Dec 18, 2010.

1. fedfanforever11

fedfanforever11 Rookie

Dec 18, 2010

I'm about to start my student teaching and I'm only 5'0 :eek:
    So basically, I'm confused about what to wear. I will be teaching
    5th grade. So should I go for the heels or not? Advice needed please. :thanks:

3. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Dec 18, 2010

I take my advice from the great Anita Archer. Always, always wear teacher shoes...and that means no heels. What do the rest of you think. I am short also.

4. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Dec 18, 2010

Wear the shoes you're most comfortable (and by extension, most confident) in. I don't wear heels very often in my "regular" life, so I'd be so uncomfortable by the end of the day!

I have a few students taller than me as well (I'm 5'5"), but it never gets in the way of them taking me seriously.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2010

5th grade - no heels. But - there are some great Sketchers and comfortable platform shoes that will give you a lift, if you want one.

I'm 5'4 teaching high school. Many of the kids are bigger than me. I do like the feel I have when wearing platform shoes, but I'm really glad I started the year in flats. My students are used to my height.

My biggest problem is that some of my bigger male students want to protect me or take care of me - when it's my role to do those things for them. This might be because of my height and because I'm in my late 40's (I hate this, but some of them have grandma's my age).

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 18, 2010

It is the aura, not the height.

7. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Dec 18, 2010

Great question! I'm 5'2" and will begin teaching 5th in Jan. Always wore heels my first couple of years, but eventually found I was much happier (and nicer! :) ) when my feet didn't hurt!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2010

I'm 5'8" and I wear heels every day!

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 18, 2010

Exactly.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 18, 2010

Yep! Just look at Hetty on NCIS LA! She's only 4'9, but she runs a tight ship!

11. BrownTurtle

BrownTurtle Rookie

Dec 18, 2010

I am short too, but students respect you for YOU not your height! Be comfy! I personally enjoy wearing sketchers sassies, they are casual but dressy.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2010

The most feared teacher in my high school is the dean-- she's probably under 5 feet high.

Dress professionally-- you'll be amazed at the authority a blazer or jacket can give you.

But heels or no heels-- that's up to you. I'm 5'4" and I teach high school-- a good number of my kids tower over me. I wear high heels some days, and not-so-high heels other days, depending on the rest of the outfit. (I tend towards suits, and I wear lots of skirts.) But I do make sure my shoes are comfortable-- Sears has an I Love Comfort line that I like a lot.

13. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2010

I wore heels when my feet were younger because they made me feel confident. I just stood up straighter. Now, my feet can get very unhappy. My shoes always look professional, as does my wardrobe. I'm 5 foot 2 and teaching 6th graders who are much taller than I am. It's your confidence, not your height.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 18, 2010

I'm 5 foot nothing and while my mules and other shoes have small wedge heels I don't wear heels for the sake of heels. My kids all predict who will be taller than me by the end of the year. lol As long as you go in with the confidence that you are the one in charge, they will recognize you as the leader. I had a 4th grade teacher who was a dwarf. I don't think she topped 4 foot. I can't remember a single kid who didn't respect her.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 19, 2010

I'm only 5'3" & yes, it doesn't hurt to be taller. It personally doesn't matter much to me. (I've been in the teaching field for almost 10 years, mostly subbing.) Wear heels...if you're comfortable in them. They also say to wear all one color to appear taller & to not to cut your body in half. Also, I read to wear shoes that same color as your skintone to make your legs appear longer. You could put your hair up more often.

But, remember, COMFORT is the main priority! :)