Short Shorts in College!

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TeacherSandra, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2011

Sure, I've been surprised by some choices I've seen. People dressed too provocatively (by my standards), people dressed in essentially a costume, people on People of Walmart. I've thought to myself, "Are they for real?" and "Don't they feel a draft?!". But I think to say I've shuddered or gotten a chill would be an exaggeration. At least in my mind, that seems to take the observation to something more mean spirited...where one feels superior over others simply because of clothing. Anyone who knows me on these boards knows how very, very little I value fashion and clothing in general. So it's the last thing I'm going to use to determine someone's value.

But I don't care if not everyone looks good by my definition or society's general expectations. To say that some people aren't "meant" to wear certain items of clothing simply isn't an idea I subscribe to. I do think some designs are better left in the sketchbook, but if someone wants to dress in tiny shorts or bikinis consisting of approximately nothing or elaborate leather and feather getups, it should an equal opportunity situation.

I'm not perfect, of course, but I do feel the idea of accepting a thin person's outfit but not the same on a larger person is not okay. And that's all I'm trying to express. Life truly is too short...so I'm glad many people wear what makes them happy, despite the fact so many others feel they're too fat or frumpy or bumpy to be rocking that outfit.

2. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2011

One more thing. :)

So many people respond to situations such as this with an "it is what it is" attitude, as in "It's just the way our society works to think that a heavy person shouldn't wear [insert questionable item of clothing]". But we, collectively, make up society. We, collectively, determine what is attractive, unattractive, appropriate, inappropriate. While you could argue that attractive qualities are built into our systems, I think that we very much have the ability to decide that, actually, it is perfectly appropriate for that overweight, hairy guy to wear tight trunks right alongside the trim and fit athlete.

"It is what it is" because that's what we've decided it will be. Not because it's necessarily right.

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2011

:lol: ohahahahaha - I saw that picture...ok; people...just imagine the end of the shorts just barely covering up the edges of the buttocks :dizzy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.