Short Shorts in College!

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TeacherSandra, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 10, 2011

I don't have a problem with short shorts. I've worn them myself (but I wouldn't in public now!). There are some local girls that wear shorts that let it all hang out. Short shorts are okay. Skanky shorts are not.

No one has mentioned shorts for men Around here, guys will wear shorts that would be called capris or ankle pants on a woman.

2. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 10, 2011

Though, unlike those feathers, short shorts pose no risk of putting any industry at risk. The sudden demand for those feathers have put the cost of fly fishing out of reach for a huge number of fishermen and has caused a massive shortage in that type of feather. It's actually a major problem for many small towns who's economy depends of fly fishing.

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 10, 2011

As to the OP, it's college. It's summer. Half the country is in the grip of a record breaking heat wave. Short shorts wouldn't be my choice, but whatever suits them. When I was in grad school at the University of Miami, I was happy when my younger classmates came to class dressed. I saw girls come to 8am classes in a teddy and flip flops. A bikini top and daisy dukes were also a common outfit.

4. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Jun 10, 2011

I'm with you--I'm not a fan of shorts. I'm 22, but I refuse to wear shorts unless they hit my knee. It's a personal preference. My MIL and SIL constantly tell me that I need to wear shorts because I'm thin and young, but their reasoning is silly--I don't feel comfortable in them nor have I ever found any that fit me. I just think there are more practical options for the summer. However, if other people want to wear them, that's fine with me as long as all the important bits are covered.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2011

I sure did... heat index over 100? Have to walk a mile across campus? Short shorts and a tank top it is. Heck, I still live in them (or a bathing suit and coverup) for the entire summer and I'm 30. Beach town - no one bats an eye.

6. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2011

This sarge's way of saying "this thread is useless without Pics."
    That is standard on my football forum. btw Shorts are my life.
    One of the top 3 reasons I do what I do.

7. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 11, 2011

I like to wear short shorts in the summer. It gets really hot around here. I don't have a problem with short shorts, although, I have to say that some can look really bad. One of my friends, who is about 45, looks really nice in short shorts. I just wish I could look as good as she does when I get that be that age.

8. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 11, 2011

It's a decency issue. You should not be offended then, when a guy says "Nice @$$" or when girls go Sir Mix a lot on you, making comments... It's also a question of focus. How do you expect a guy to concentrate, when a girl is practically saying "look at my A-, isn't it nice? Come grab it!"

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2011

Remember, this thread is about college students. If a man cannot concentrate in class when the female student next to him is wearing a bikini, then maybe he should not be in college.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2011

Bikini is class? That's so...just thumbs down to that. Thumbs down.

11. Mrs. Rubble

Mrs. Rubble Rookie

Jun 11, 2011

The pictures are too funny but I now need to get off of here and scrub my eyeballs with an alcohol pad before those images get burned into them!!

Like someone else said, short shorts are fine but skanky shorts are just naasty!!!!!!!

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 11, 2011

:toofunny:

13. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 11, 2011

Geez. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm so glad that picture was taken from the back and not the front. :eek:

14. old_School

old_School Rookie

Jun 11, 2011

Lol great topic but is all honesty, when the cheeks are poping out its to short. As a father, I'd say no way. As a guy maaah maybe. But the father side of me tends to make the better decisions, so I'd say for college yeah its probly ok but for anything below 18. I say; 16 will get ya 20 lol

15. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2011

If women are walking around naked, men are still responsible for their own actions. Tough concept, I know.

16. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 11, 2011

What do you mean mollydoll? You mean that I, as a man, am supposed to have some sort of self control over my own actions, and that I am not just some primitive caveman-like creature that sees exposed cleavage and says "ooooooohhhh boobies!!!"???

[/tongue in cheek]

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2011

:haha:

18. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 11, 2011

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

19. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Jun 11, 2011

I agree, but I also think women should be held accountable to some extent for the amount of skin they're putting on display. It goes both ways--there is a shared responsibility.

20. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2011

No, there really isn't. This is an age old victim shaming argument used against rape victims.

It doesn't matter what a women is or isn't wearing, sexual harassment is never ok.

It might be unwise to engage in certain behaviors that are likely to be risky, but that still does not involve shared responsibility.

No women is ever "asking for it."

Also: harassment and rape are almost always about power, not sex.

21. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

Jun 11, 2011

The votes are in, and short shorts win the day.

My vote was a secret ballot, of course.

22. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 12, 2011

I would think that college classes would be more appropriate than wearing them to church. Lately I have been appalled that I see more skin at church on sundays than I do at the local pool.:eek:

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2011

This had me literally laughing out loud!!!! :lol: :lol:

If they're in college and they have the body for it, I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm 30 and still wear short shorts around during the summer.

24. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Jun 12, 2011

I already agreed that risque clothing does not give a man the right to sexually harass a woman. But I think it's courteous for both men and women to dress modestly. Please don't put words in my mouth.

25. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2011

Perhaps I did not understand what you meant by "shared responsibility."

I do not see how women have any sort of "shared responsibility" about how they choose to dress.

At any rate, I was not putting words into your mouth. The idea that how a woman dresses influences how others behave is a traditional victim shaming argument, and I responded with my opinion of such thinking.

26. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jun 12, 2011

27. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jun 12, 2011

Me too.

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2011

Several people have mentioned that if you have "the body" you might as well enjoy it and show it while you can. This has always bothered me.

If Lady A standing 5' 6" at 125 pounds is given society's permission to wear short shorts or a bikini or whatever article of clothing or lack thereof, Lady B who has a hundred pounds on the other chick should be afforded the same opportunity without her choices been viewed as inappropriate. While many people would find it unattractive, which is perfectly fine, many others would believe it crosses into the realm of inappropriate, and I find that to be bothersome.

29. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 12, 2011

I believe it's all a matter of taste more so than body's look. I've seen thin women with horrible taste and ladies with a few extra pounds with wonderful taste. I've known some ladies with a few extra pounds that can really put together outfits, including short shorts, in a marvelous way.

Just like the show What Not to Wear, it's all about finding the right clothes for your body type.

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2011

I do understand what you mean, but I actually and honestly think that if Lady A and Lady B want to wear really, really short shorts, for example, I'd first suggest neither do, but if they insist and if Lady A is looked at with approval then show should Lady B.

31. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 12, 2011

I usually look at style, most importantly, regardless of weight.

32. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 12, 2011

We can't really say that people of all sizes will be looked at with approval if they are wearing the same outfit. That is completely unrealistic.

If you saw two men at the beach- Guy A in his 60s, beer belly, grey and hairy like Robin Williams; Guy B in his 20s, six pack, toned arms and legs, tan, model or athelete like- you wouldn't be drooling or approving of both of them wearing tight, short trunk swimsuits. You would shudder at Guy A and wonder why he isn't wearing a shirt. It's just human nature...

33. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2011

1) I wouldn't drool over anyone.
    2) I wouldn't shudder because of anyone.

34. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2011

I just played an evil joke on my hubby. I showed him that one picture of the "jersey girl" wearing the short shorts that someone posted on here. I asked him if she looked good in the shorts. Then, I asked, what about in this picture and I switched over to the guy picture. Hahaha, hubby was not happy about that!! :D

35. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 12, 2011

:lol::lol:

36. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2011

Excellent point JustMe.

I lost 150 lbs and life is a lot different as a size 4 versus size 28. People treat you completely differently. The really interesting thing was when I lost weight and saw people I hadn't seen for a year, the men never recognized me, but women usually did, even if it took them a minute.

37. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 12, 2011

I highly doubt that anyone has never shuddered, cringed, gasped, get a chill, etc over the way another person looks, is dressed, or an action of theirs.

Not everyone is going to fit into every single item of clothing they want. Not everyone is going to look good in every single item of clothing they put on. Not everyone is meant to wear certain items of clothing- speedos, short shorts, tube tops, etc.

38. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2011

I really don't make a habit of judging people for such silly reasons. I prefer to base it on what they do. If you think this isn't realistic, go to a nude beach in Europe. Nobody cares what anybody is or isn't wearing.

Except this one girl who came into the math center that I worked at. She was wearing a mesh skirt that didn't cover anything, front or back and a bright red thong that also didn't cover anything, lucite platforms, and 50 lbs of makeup. After we all picked our jaws up off the floor, we decided she was late for work at a strip club. But that wasn't so much judgement as sheer awe that somebody was walking around like that. Especially considering 99% of people in there wear sweats or pajama pants.

39. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 12, 2011

I'm a big girl. I won't wear short shorts. If I were a smaller girl, I'd strut my stuff. :) Right or wrong, it is what it is.

40. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2011

I think when people say "if I had the body" they are talking about what they are personally comfortable with in their own body, not making a judgement against others. I'm not technically overweight for my height, but I'm not as small as I used to be. At 115 pounds, I was comfortable in short shorts. At 140 pounds, I'm not. That's just what I personally feel comfortable in. I'm not saying it's unattractive for a 140 pound girl to walk around in tiny shorts- she may look great. I also think there is a difference between inappropriate and unattractive. Like Luc mentioned, that's just the way society is...the majority of people are going to think that an obese person in short shorts look unattractive. I would agree however, that it's not fair to say that it's inappropriate for an overweight/obese person to wear them while saying it's appropriate for a small person to wear them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.