Short Shorts in College!

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TeacherSandra, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2011

I know it's summer time and it's hot!! But really...must the girls wear their shortest shorts and strut throughout the university like that??!! :unsure:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2011

If you can't wear short shorts when you are 19 when can you? For many students, college is home away from home, a place to experiment with independence, to flirt a bit, to grow and of course, to learn...;)

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2011

Exactly this.

5. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 9, 2011

When I was a junior in college, I got scolded in front of the entire class for dressing 'skanky' in 85F. I was wearing jean shorts that hit 4 inches above my knee- I felt lie a grandma wearing them. It was humiliating and insulting.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 10, 2011

I'm not for it completely, but I guess if they have the body for it & they're still young, yet old enough (18+) & it IS summertime...

Other people may think these girls are asking for trouble, but hey, whatever.

7. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jun 10, 2011

...and for some, it's the only time they will have the body for it. Strike while the iron is hot!

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 10, 2011

I did it. And belly shirts. EWWWWWWWWW remember when those were in style! I don't think I wore belly shirts to class though. At least I hope I didn't!!!! Short shorts I probably did wear. My sister wears them all the time. I'm jealous.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2011

My high school students were wearing them - like soffe shorts. I was sending them to the office but they weren't doing anything about it, so i gave up. We had at least 5 girls show up in strapless tops last week, too. I know our school is hot, but come on.

But in college, I definitely wore whatever I wanted to class. Maybe not shorty shorty but I wore pjs a lot. lol

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 10, 2011

When i lived in Florida, girls would throw a cover up and some cut offs over their swimsuit and come to class straight from the beach. I just got used to it.

Silverspoon, I find with soffe shorts that they grow a few inches between my room and the office, and then shrink again by the time they get back to my classroom.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2011

I don't understand. Can you describe these shorts in more detail? Exactly how short are they? What color and what material are they made of?

If you can get some pictures, that would be helpful too.

I can't really participate in this discussion unless I'm fully informed.

12. TechGuy

TechGuy Rookie

Jun 10, 2011

do I sense some jealousy? ;)

13. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jun 10, 2011

LOL!!!

I agree with czacza -- it's college. If you can't do it then, when can you? I went to a school next to a huge lake, so like MissCelia said, there were a lot of girls who wore bathing suits and cover ups to class. I did it from time to time and then headed off to join my friends on a boat for the afternoon! :cool:

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 10, 2011

Man some of you would really hate me as I still wear them. Hey I've got great legs and I feel like flaunting them. That and as a short person bermudas/capris tend to my legs look terrible.

15. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 10, 2011

I'd rather see it on college students than Jr. High students!!! My husband loves to point out short shorts and I love to point out how young the wearers are!!!!
    I just really hate it when they wear jean shorts where they're so short the pockets stick out the bottoms... I just think that's tacky.

16. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2011

And if the shorts have something written on the backside, keep in mind that some of us men are very slow readers.

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2011

hahaha - you're terrible! :lol:

I'm talking short shorts...Daisy Dukes if you know what I mean. ok; shorts that just end at where the buttock curves. :rolleyes:
    yeah; that short.

18. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2011

:lol: Me? not at all to be honest. I was a string bean in my college years and I thought I was fat, but I never wore shorts that short - just ending where the buttocks curve. :lol:

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2011

In my house,anything we're given with writing across the tush is called "pajamas." They don't leave the house.

20. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2011

I'm trying to look online for the shorts I'm talking about...I found some that just come ABOVE the buttock curve, but :eek: that's not it...the ones I'm talking about it just barely hit below the curve.
    Now, mind you, I've seen some adorable cute short shorts, but those aren't it either.
    if you can imagine...these just barely go under the buttock curve. ok; I'm tired of saying those words, haha: buttock curve. :lol:
    So, maybe someone here can post; still looking though.

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2011

I'm pretty sure my buttocks don't curve.

22. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 10, 2011

I think these are the type she's talking about. Hope that helps.

*** Warning... Some might find the link inappropriate, so click at your own risk.

http://www.allfunnypictures.com/images2/shortshorts.jpg

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2011

I'm 28 and I still wear short shorts! :D:whistle:

24. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 10, 2011

I'll need a picture, Sarge, so I can judge for myself.

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2011

:lol: Me too! For SCIENCE! :whistle:

26. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

Jun 10, 2011

Can I just say how much I <3 this thread hehehe

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2011

I actually find those incredibly short shorts to be inappropriate—period. But I've always been grandma-ish in that way. :)

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2011

And TechGuy, I just love how a woman simply must be jealous if she opposes to a "lifestyle choice" of another female. :rolleyes:

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2011

I have such a skinny body that any of the regular length shorts look TERRIBLE on me. I wear these shorts from Old Navy and I love them. Actually, I think shorts CAN look really bad on people. I think you need to look very hard to find the type that will look good on you, in my sweet humble opinion. :D

30. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2011

I fully admit I wore short shorts all the time in my younger college years, when I had time to be a gym rat and was in perfect shape. I don't regret it- when else are you going to have the body for it, unless you're naturally tiny? I also found that it was really hard to find "normal" looking shorts in stores. They either sell the really tiny ones, or really long "grandma" looking ones. Now, I mostly wear capris or skirts/dresses in the summer. If I wear shorts its just those soffee kind.

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 10, 2011

I wore those short cheerleading shorts and t-shirts to class all summer long. I was 17 when I started college, and I didn't think anything about wearing shorts that were short. Heck, I was only 17.

The first year I taught, I had 12th graders. I went grocery shopping wearing short denim shorts and a tank top. Some of my students worked at the grocery, and I talked to them while I was there. The next day at school one of them told me that I was too old to be wearing shorts that short. Too old? :huh: I had just turned 22, and I thought I looked pretty good in them. He was 18, which made it really funny that he thought I was "old". My best friend--same age as me--was dating an 18 year old at the time, only he had graduated in June, and that was in August of the following year.

I know that I don't have the legs for it now, but back when I did I'd sure wear the shorts.

32. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Jun 10, 2011

Hilarious!! And probably not what Sarge had in mind, lol!

33. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 10, 2011

Earlier in the week, it was unbelievably hot here- mid 90s- and I did indeed rock short shorts! I would even go so far to say they were Nair commercial short shorts length!

I will admit that short shorts make me feel sexy and comfortable in the heat!

34. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 10, 2011

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2011

Funny, but in hot weather, a long flowy skirt and T shirt with sandals do that for me.

36. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 10, 2011

37. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 10, 2011

If I had the legs to pull it off, I would wear them.

38. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 10, 2011

Emily, I was about to post the same thing (except I'd have to add if I had the legs, tush, and well... everything else to pull it off!) :) Let young girls be young girls. You only get that chance once.

39. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2011

Rarely do I laugh out loud when I read or see things on the internet... this made me laugh out loud. Congrats!

40. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 10, 2011

I think college classes should have a lot of leeway but college students need to realize that some professors might have objections to certain styles of dress. I could have worn short shorts when I was in my bio classes in college but not in my education classes. I would have been asked to leave the room and not have had a leg to stand on if I objected. Walking around on campus? It would be odd not to see skanky clothes, lol. The girls have no clue how ridiculous they look baring everything they have, but the boys don't realize it either. The guys like it and that is why the girls dress the way they do. Us old farts can sit back and tsk tsk (or giggle) but it won't change a thing.

The girls in my classroom are wearing feathers that have been glued onto their head. It looks just as ridiculous as the short shorts. But neither hurts anyone so who cares. Let them be idiots while they can get away with it.

41. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2011

Due to some recent current events with which we are all familiar, I'd have to decline. Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.