Short and odd interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by burgandy01, Aug 12, 2015.

1. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 12, 2015

When applying to a charter school I added a P.S. If by chance a PE job opens up I'm very interested. Minutes after taking one of my certification tests (I passed, woohoo!) I got a phone call from the HR lady from that charter school. She said "We have a third grade opening" (I interject great--perfect grade) then she continues we also have a PE position. I say "Well I'd like to go for both". She then says pick the one you prefer and I say "Definitely PE". She says she'll forward my resume to that Principal oh and that the Principal recognizes em from subbing. I wait and wait and don't get any response. Finally I bug her about it and she eventually sets up an interview for me.

It turns out it wasn't the same Principal that knew me (must have been a mix-up) but I did know the secretary from my ed. program so I figured that would work in my favor.

I walk in to be interviewed and unlike my last interview with 6 people was only her. The door is left open for the secretary to over-hear. Get this----she didn't ask ANY questions. Just looked over my resume, mentioned my present position, and asked if there's anything else I wanted to add. Then she very briefly told me what their PE department was like and ended with "Well, I have some notes here and now it's up to HR, you should hear in a week". School starts 8/24 for kids and sooner for teachers.

The other weird thing---this particular position has NEVER been posted on their website.

Does this indicate to you that they already have some else in mind for the position?? Or what?!

P.S. I had what felt like an amazing interview the day before with another school but am getting depressed.

3. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 12, 2015

I had a similar interview at an adult school a couple of weeks ago and except they asked me questions LOL. The director ended it with the same thing as you "It's out of my hands now and up to HR.".

I would just move on and continue to apply for other jobs.

4. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 12, 2015

Isn't this the most bogus statement?!? I mean, the way I see it is as long as the candidate is properly credentialed, doesn't the Principal make the choice and simply notify HR who 'their' selection is? Um yeah, pretty sure that's how it rolls but please correct me if I'm wrong.

5. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 12, 2015

I agree with you on the quota thing. I thought they 'had' to post job openings but maybe charter schools don't have to follow this norm, I dunno.

6. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 12, 2015

One time before I once showed up for an interview at a private school and was personally recommended. Upon arrival was never asked a single question that time either, only about the schedule and if it was something I wanted. It ended up being a fabulous job---I am stupid for leaving, but the pay wasn't good and they didn't offer any benefits.

7. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 12, 2015

That's exactly how that district was. The principal in that district calls up references (he called up mine according to my references), and then HR is supposed to call me. After all that I never received a call confirming a job or not getting the job. I have a feeling this principal just didn't care who he had for the job and saw interviewing as a chore.