Short 5th Grade Read-Aloud???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by loves2teach, Mar 25, 2008.

1. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2008

Hi,

I have been slacking in the read aloud department, and I am hoping to come back from spring break w/ a bang. Does anyone have any suggestions for a read aloud for my 5th grade class? I have read Hatchet, Frindle, and several other books. Was hoping to read something that would catch interest, and hopefully teach a lesson of some type :)

Thanks so much!!!!

:hugs:

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 25, 2008

Maniac Magee ?

4. MsVee

MsVee Rookie

Mar 25, 2008

The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo?

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 25, 2008

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selsnec (sp?)

The pictures are beautiful (it's this year's Caldecott winner) and the story is high interest, an orphan-like boy Cinderalla story.

6. katenar

katenar Cohort

Mar 25, 2008

My kids love Among the Hidden. It's a great book and is the first of a series. You could use it to teach friendship, secrets, and it focuses on issues like hunger and populations (I think the Govt goes overboard but it's a great discussion starter).

7. calalily18

calalily18 Rookie

Mar 25, 2008

there's a boy in the girls bathroom
    or
    joey pigza swallowed the key

both of these teach tolerance of those that are different than us and are hysterically funny at the same time

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 25, 2008

I'm reading The Hundred Dresses right now (we will go see the play) and it's great. It's old fashioned so we have been discussing the times a lot (such as the roles of men and women) and it also discusses race and poverty.

Great book. Very short. I am reading about 3 chapters a day!

9. Tinsley81

Tinsley81 Rookie

Mar 25, 2008

I agree with the above poster about The Hundred Dresses (I think by Eleanor Estes?). Short and good lesson.
    One of my favorite books is Al Capone does my Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (sp?). It's about a boy and his family (including his autistic sister) who lives on Alcatraz Island in the 1930's. Some historical fiction and a great story.
    Or The Watson's Go to Birmingham 1963. I had to censor myself a few times though, so I would suggest reading it first, but the kids love this story, and you can discuss civil rights and segregation in the south.

10. Tinsley81

Tinsley81 Rookie

Mar 25, 2008

Thought of another one,
    Sahara Special by Esme Codell
    Doing a novel study of this, the kids are loving it

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 25, 2008

I loved Sahara Special, too.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 26, 2008

I always read My Palace of Leaves in Sarajevo by Marybeth Lorbiecki . I picked it up on a whim from the dollar table at Books a Million and have loved it. It's written as letters between a girl in Sarajevo to her cousin in America. She is living through the war in Bosnia and it really touches your heart. It's a thin book, but it gives a lot of information. With the situation in the Middle East, it's a good book to give the kids an idea of what kids over there are dealing with. It's not a sad book, but more a book of hope. After I read it to my first class they wanted to write the author and she responded with a personally written letter to our class (she was running out of room at the end of the paper and ended up writing all the way to the corner! :D)

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008

I second My Palace of Leaves... it really is an amazing book. I have read it to fifth graders as well.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 26, 2008

I have to put in a plug for The Janitor's Boy. Frindles always get tons of attention, but I think this one is even better. It teaches kids that there is a side to their parents they don't know and that kids can't fully understand them without this knowledge. My 5th graders can usually relate because many of them are getting to the age when they are beginning to be embarrassed by their parents.

15. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Mar 26, 2008

The Joey pigza books are good.

Judy Blume books are a fav of my kids too

What about: There's a boy in the girls bathroom.
    Report Card
    The School Story
    (any books by Andrew Clements are good....they are circulate around kids doing something extraordinary).