Shopping for Teen Boys Minus the Electronics

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cutNglue, Nov 30, 2011.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 30, 2011

I'm stuck. I've declared a "no electronic gifts" (no computers, mp3 players, video games, etc.) year.

So far for my 12 year old I have...

skateboard (one set of wheels is enough)
    wii skin (for the electronic.. I know, I know)
    spy car trakr (a car is a must)
    mancula game (I accidentally threw away the pieces)
    guitar shirt (actually plays) (thinkgeek website)

Anything else???!!!! Need suggestions!

I'm in a bit of a rush here because I have to order stuff in time, but I'm drawing a blank.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2011

Brian is getting a Nerf Vortex gun-- it shoots nerf discs

He's also getting some major Leggos and the K'nex lighted ferris wheel. He loves putting those things together.

a book on the many uses for duct tape

a Nike sweatshirt

and I forget what else

4. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Nov 30, 2011

Ditto this, except for my fiance. The Vortex Praxis is pretty awesome, I may or may not have ordered a smaller Vortex to be able to defend myself.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 30, 2011

Nerf guns are popular in my house...also at 12 my son got a pitching net. He also liked rockets he built and was able to shoot off....and I think that is the year he got a gun (after taking a hunters safety course).

6. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 30, 2011

I love the thinkgeek website. Lots of cool gift ideas there. I have fantasized about the USB device that adds random keystrokes and types gibberish on the computer. I think that would make someone drop kick a computer across a classroom.

I have a 14 year old and he is really into science and books. He just isn't into electronics, so I have the opposite issue that you have. He wants military models, Clive Cussler books, books on tape, and building kits for Christmas. I got him shooting glasses and a shooting vest because he is going to be on the trapshooting team next year, clothes, and will be shopping for models this weekend. For his big gift, he has asked to go to a Lego Robotics Camp and the local university. He went to the beginner class last year and loved it and wants to take the advanced class this year.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 30, 2011

My son loves to skeet shoot...he has been on the team for the last five years. Oklahoma has a wildlife camp ran by the game wardens. It is free and they spend a week doing outdoor things. My son loved it. Check and see if your state has it.

Also a handwarmer is nice to have for skeet shooting. Since they can't shoot with gloves, it is very handy.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 30, 2011

I have a younger one that we try to avoid too much aggressive play. Plus i live in a high density neighborhood and I have heard that parents of younger ones here don't appreciate too much gun play. So other than a super soaker in the summer, I avoid any play guns. If someone gets them one, I don't mind but I don't buy them myself. Feel free to share all ideas, including this area simply because it might inspire someone else's shopping.

I did order from Think Geek already! I also got my husband a t-shirt that says, "I'm here because you broke something."

Legos might be an option.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Nov 30, 2011

Depending on your son's style, the Tom brand shoes are awesome because they have the business model of sell one, give one. How ever much they sell, they give away an equal amount to children living in abject poverty in other countries. It's a nice way for you and your child to help out the greater world community, and still be stylish. :)