Shopping for clothes!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by wdwteach, Aug 10, 2009.

1. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

I went out shopping for a new school wardrobe and ended up with very little!!! Everything seemed to be designed for an 18 year old or an old lady! What about those of us between. I can't wear these low-cut, sleeveless shirts to school!!!! And I am not ready to be a granny! I will try again tomorrow. :unsure:

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2009

I know what you mean. I don't know which stores you have in your area, but there are times I go shopping to (hopefully) buy something & I can't find anything good.

I hope you find some nice things tomorrow! :)

4. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

I think we have a pretty good selection. I tried Belk, New York & Co, Gap, Target, Kohls, and Eddie Bauer. I am going to Ann Taylor Loft tomorrow. Ugg. It should have been fun but it was exhausting! I even have a $10 coupon for Penney's and did not find a thing. I may go spend it on jewelry!

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

I bought a lot online this summer. I have been pretty happy with almost everything I've received so far.

6. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

I have a $10 coupon too! My hubby needs a belt though, so that is what I will be buying.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2009

Oh, I feel your pain. I went shopping the last two days and ended up with a few things. Everything out there now is: sleeveless, see-through, or low-cut. And I can't wear fitted shirts because I have no boobs. And I have to be able to tuck them in. I found a couple of things at Gap, BR Outlet, and TJ Maxx.

Big find that will save my wardrobe: Cute little sweater-shirts. Can wear them over shell tops/camis.

8. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

A store that I love (it has a large variety, you just have to look) is Christopher and Banks. I love the pants there specifically, but they have some very cute tops as well. The pants are great because I am between "average" height and "petite" height and they make a short that is perfect for me.

9. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

I went through this last year too. I was SO frustrated. I ended up with a lot from Kohl's, Express, Ann Taylor Loft, American Eagle, and Old Navy. Once you find a good store, you'll find loads of stuff. Good luck!

10. Ms. Kimba

Ms. Kimba Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

I don't know if you have a J.Crew in your area, but I love their clothes. I think they have a lot of variety and are professional and stylish. Best of all, though, they have a teacher discount!!! I think it's 15%.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2009

The stores where I usually shop & find stuff w/i my price budget are:

Nordstrom - My favorite store. I usually get things on sale.

Macy's - I look to see what's on sale.

SteinMart, The Limited, and New York & Company - I'll find a few things I like occasionally

TJMaxx and Marshalls- If you feel like rummaging through a lot of clothing, you may find a couple good things

I get good quality stuff on sale. I skip the stores that are cheap to begin with. :)

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2009

I'm a big C&B fan, too, but there aren't any stores in SoCal. Fortunately, they now have a website, but I still prefer trying things on in the store, so when we visit DD up north or the fam in CT I always hit one. I've gotten adorable cardigans there.

13. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2009

I love the classics but I still like to stay on top of fashion without looking like I'm trying to be too young. Most of my clothes come from Land's End or Talbots. I love to shop the clearance at Talbots online. I am awaiting a package right now. I spent $70 and got dress pants (originally $100), a long sleeve dressy T, a 3/4 sleeve sweater and a dress shirt. It's not this fall's merchandise but it's great for my budget. I'd rather spend money on quality items on clearance.

14. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

I have the same problems....But, I am super excited about my shoe buy today! I went to the Shoe Carnival because of their buy one get one half off that they always have. I got 2 cute pairs of shoes for work...a black pair of slide ons with open toes and backless....and a brown pair that are closed all around with a "decorative" strap across the top center of my foot. Those can be worn all year if i wanna :D

15. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 11, 2009

I went to Loft tonight and I only got a gray cami and a pair of sunglasses! I am going to shop online some tonight.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 14, 2009

Nice.

17. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

I got a TON of stuff at Loft last night. 8 pairs of pants, 7 shirts, 4 camis. The 20% discount came in pretty handy. They're all pretty mix-and-match friendly and the pants will work with a lot of the summer tops I bought a few months ago.

Hopefully I'll get my staff handbook on Monday because I don't know the actual dress code at this school. I haven't taken the tags off anything yet, in case something doesn't work out. My worst nightmare would be that all shirts must be tucked in. Tucking in is not friendly to all people!

18. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 14, 2009

I also got a lot at Loft today. 2 dresses, 2 shirts, a sweater and a belt. They have such cute pants but none of their pants fit me right. But I love their dresses!

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 14, 2009

Wow, a lot of us shopped at AT! I've maybe shopped there once in my life long ago, but I have an Ann Taylor Outlet store, which I got a denim skirt from last week.

20. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

I went to Banana Republic today & got a gray sweater, black shirt, and tan skirt! They gave me more coupons so I'll go back and get the things I didn't get today! I also ordered a new pair of shoes from zappos!

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 14, 2009

I like Banana Republic! :)

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 14, 2009

I was at Dress Barn yesterday. They had a lot of cute tops & pants. Didn't buy anything because I was looking for an outfit to interview in.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2009

Low cut is easiest to deal with: get a camisole and wear it underneath.

I tend to do well at Kohls and JCPenney, and both have good websites.

24. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 14, 2009

I got a sweater there for $17 last week. Too hot for sweaters here so I put it in the closet for later.

I am going to try again this weekend. Maybe some new stuff has arrived.

25. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 14, 2009

BTW - Welcome back Alice!

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2009

Thanks!