Shopping for a laptop

Discussion in 'General Education' started by traveler, Jul 5, 2008.

1. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 5, 2008

I am in desperate need of a new computer (at home and at work/school). I will also be going back to school as a student. I have decided a laptop would be my best option.
    Any ideas on ...
    1) where I can get a good deal?
    2) what kind I should get? (I would love a mac but the school uses PCs)
    3) anything I should avoid?
    I have heard that you can add a laptop to your college loan. Has anyone ever done that?

Thanks for any and all advice!
    :help:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  3. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 5, 2008

I'm no expert, but my husband bought me a Toshiba 'Satellite' for my birthday and I love it. It's your basic laptop and was about $600. I've used it for report cards, I've made slideshows on it, I can burn them as it comes with a burner... A colleage of mine has an Acer Aspire and that also seems like a good machine. Probably a little more expensive, though.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 5, 2008

Whenever I get another computer, I'll go through HSN or QVC because:

1) You get more for your money AND
    2) You have the option to pay the total amt in monthly installments, but of course you get your product right away (not when you're done paying it off).

HSN and QVC offer extras at great prices that you couldn't get from any store or through the brand site/store itself. I've gotten a Dell laptop through QVC before.

This is a nice HP for the price at HSN:

http://electronics.hsn.com/gateway-...carousel*page1_spot4_image*Bestsellers&ccm=EC

If you want Dell, QVC has them:
    http://www.qvc.com/cgen/render.aspx?qp=class|5534&rewrite=no&level=2&walk.yah=0103-5534&cm_re=MH-_-ELECTRONICS-_-DELL&cm_sp=MH-_-ELECTRONICS-_-DELL

5. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 5, 2008

Wow. Thanks to you both. I love the price of the Toshiba!
    There is such a huge price difference. I really need to take a look at what I need to be able to use before I buy one. I am such an impulse shopper this will be hard for me.

6. supertaz93

supertaz93 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

If you have a Best Buy nearby, you might want to check that out. The employees do not work on commission. They will answer any questions you have and will suggest what will work best based on your needs. I just got a super deal. I bought my laptop computer for $749 (which I thought was a great deal at the time) and then the next week they ran it for $599 (which was an ever better deal). Best Buy has a price-match guarantee so all I had to do was take my receipt in and they gave me the difference. This also works on their website.

7. HMM

HMM Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

8. HMM

HMM Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

Don't get a computer just because it has a lot of ram or a huge hard drive. If those are large and the price is low then your processor/motherboard probably isn't very good.

Unless you are going to use the computer to play new games you don't need a large hard drive. 100-150GB is probably more than you will ever need.

2GB of memory is also probably more than you need.

get a dual core processor. look so see that the L2 cache is at least 1MB (mine is 4MB).

happy hunting.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 6, 2008

Macs come with a bunch of nifty software, and you'd be astonished at the uses you can find for, say, syncing your iCal calendar to your iPod.

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2008

We always buy from Dell directly. Once you establish yourself as a customer, you can get deals to stretch out your payments. I think it's 1 year no interest for a desktop model and 6 mos. no interest for a laptop. Just pay what you can and try to pay it off before the finance charges kick in.

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

Check out these Dell laptops. I bought my pc from them and when I get ready to buy a laptop I'll go back. You don't end up buying a lot of junk that you won't use, for ex., I don't use Quicken and it comes w/most computers & you pay for it! They financed it too. I know nothing about including one in a student loan except for the fact you'll still have to pay it off sooner or later.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

12. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

My kids have both bought MACs from Macmall.com. They are usually cheaper than the apple store with the teacher discount. My daughter is expecting her new computer tomorrow. Usually fast delivery.

13. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2008

All our computers have come from Dell. Besides offering reasonable financing plans, they also feature really good 24-hour tech support.

14. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

I have a Gateway convertible laptop. It functions as a regular laptop, but the screen also swivels and lays flat down so I can write on it. The kids love when I put a math problem on a power point slide and work out the problem by writing on my laptop screen! It's a little expensive, but I love it!

http://www.gateway.com/programs/convertible/index.php?rdr=v116

15. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

Thank you all for your input. I love this site! I knew I could count on you!

16. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

numb3rsfan
    which of the two convertibles did you get? I am leaning towards getting one of those. Wondering if I should get the more expensive one or if the lower priced model is sufficient.

17. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

I'm on my second laptop from Dell and love it! I have found them to be very customer service oriented and eager to help you anytime you call them. Plus, I've never had any major issues with their laptops. They're very durable and that's through using them at home, at school and for my Master's classes.

18. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

I got mine last year and it is a CX210X model. I'm not sure how it compares to the two new versions, but I know I don't have the fingerprint reader.

19. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 6, 2008

I'm in the market for a new laptop. Mine is rather old and is running off 512mb ram.....so its rather sluggish. My family has had good luck with Dell for their desktops, but I keep hearing great things about Toshibas.

20. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

I don't think I need the fingerprint reader. I am a sucker for getting the bigger and better model. But if the other one does the same thing, I should get it. I'll keep looking. Thanks for responding!

21. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

I really like the convertible ones. I am starting a doctoral program in Sept and I think it would be good for taking notes and other things. Anyone know what other laptops have the slate type thing you can write on besides the gateways?

22. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2008

Toshiba does - on their site it starts at about $1500. I have had a Toshiba Satellite for over three years and it's been a very dependable machine.

23. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

HP also makes a convertible notebook as well.