Shopping for a Good Language Arts Curriculum

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by lifelonglearner, Sep 16, 2007.

1. lifelonglearner

lifelonglearner Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

Is there a good language arts curriculum out there that covers reading, writing, spelling, grammar, vocabulary and is in line with State Standards? Right now I am teaching 5-8 grade language arts and am having to create everything from taking bits and pieces from here and there. What works? I also use "Lessons That Change Writer's" from Nancy Attwell twice a week. I just would love to simplify.

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2007

If there is one, I don't know about it. I actually LIKE not having a textbook that I HAVE to use. I like having the flexibility to see where my kids are at and go from there,. I've been teaching for 15 years, and have never taught the same things in the same order in all of that time. That's one of the things I love about LA; there are always new novels, new poems, new short stories and new writing topics.

4. lifelonglearner

lifelonglearner Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

This is my first year teaching and I am overwhelmed! I am teaching 5-8 grade LA plus Art plus one class of a Fine Arts elective. I was hoping to get a road map or something.:woot:

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2007

I think what you are asking about is a texbook program, not a curriculum. Your school district should have given you a curriculum for each of your classes. That is your roadmap. One of the things you could do to simplify is to use whatever novel or short-story you are reading to drive the content for your other parts of LA (writing, vocab, spelling).