Shop class status? Value?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by shopteach, Jul 30, 2019.

1. shopteach

shopteach New Member

Jul 30, 2019

Hey all, just wondering what the status of shop class is out there. Is it going away? Is there interest? What are the barriers to keeping or introducing it? Does anyone miss it? I am a woodworking enthusiast looking to help my kids' elementary-age school.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 30, 2019

Finding a slot for it in schedules that are constructed to get kids through as much of the curriculum as possible before standardized testing is the biggest negative. Insurance for kids working with woodworking tools would be strike two. Does that mean it doesn't have a chance? No. If you are able to meet those concerns, you may have a shot at getting it into a school.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 31, 2019

At my school we've had a construction class for years (interior and exterior construction, intro to construction, not sure of the exact names) they are ROP and CTE classes. I think it's great. This year thy are adding welding, and they have built a pretty big building for our construction / welding and child development ROP and CTE classes.

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 31, 2019

My high school had a woodworking class (I don't know if they still do or not), but they offered many cool electives such as auto shop, floral design, early childhood, cooking, etc.

I took woodworking my senior year (05-06). I was the only senior and only 1 of 3 girls in the class, but I loved it.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jul 31, 2019

I wish I had a class like this. I need to use tools for all sorts of things as a homeowner for fixing things inside and outside of the house. I have learned to make things with wood for the classroom that are inexpensive and so helpful. I entered teaching though clueless with wood and tools. I sure hope this class somehow can continue in schools.

7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Companion

Jul 31, 2019

I think shop is desperately needed in my neck of the woods. A lot of kids will never go to college and a skill or trade would be so useful for their future. I am not sure why, but it is almost nonexistent here. They have a small building, but not much in it. It must be from budget cuts over the years.There would be a ton of interest in it here I think the kids would love it!

readingrules12 likes this.
  8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 1, 2019

I thought our local high schools had those types of classes but now I'm not sure. I'm going to take a look at some district websites when I have a free minute.

9. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 1, 2019

Going strong in my district. Welding, woods, and graphics were some of the best classes my daughter took in 8th grade.

10. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 3, 2019

The high schools in my area have woodworking shops, auto shops, agriculture classes, ect. I don't think the elementary schools would do something like this though, especially if you weren't already a teacher in the district. (which is what I think your trying to do)

bella84 likes this.