Shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Determine2Teach, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Determine2Teach

Determine2Teach Rookie

Dec 14, 2012

I'm beyond sadden to hear about the shooting in Conneticut. I've learned from the news that 27 people were dead and 18 were children. Also, one of the gunman was dead! My condolences goes out to the school and families.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 14, 2012

I don't want to speculate on the actual numbers or anything until the authorities can assess the situation and give a formal report to the press, but my heart is sinking when I ponder the worst case scenario numbers.

4. Determine2Teach

Determine2Teach Rookie

Dec 14, 2012

This is too devastating and all I can do is hold my little girl and boy.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 14, 2012

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2012

So very, very sad. =( I can't even imagine.

7. Asmartcookie

Asmartcookie Rookie

Dec 14, 2012

Oh God those poor babies, those poor families. I know around this time of year things get pretty bad, but this is the worst I've seen it :(

8. msufan

msufan Comrade

Dec 14, 2012

As a third grade teacher, I've thought about scenarios like this in my mind before, just trying to think ahead as to what I could possibly do if the worst happened. The reality is that there just isn't a lot you can do.

I'm not usually a news watcher, but this is hitting way too close to home for me, both as a parent and a teacher. Brutal.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2012

This story is awful.

(There are multiple threads on this topic. Can they be combined?)

10. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 14, 2012

I can't stop crying, Im in such disbelief

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2012

News needs to stop including the killer as one of the "victims."

We went through that garbage at VT. The killer even got his own balloon released and memorial stone.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2012

My heart breaks.

13. Math

Math Cohort

Dec 14, 2012

I see it now in spanish as I eat cereal.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 14, 2012

What a tragedy! :(

15. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 14, 2012

I still remember Columbine...I was a kid, maybe 12 or 13. I never thought it could get any worse than that. Then there was 9 - 11 and VT. :(

I agree with Molly about the killer

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2012

This is so horrible and evil. My heart breaks for them.

17. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 14, 2012

I can't stop crying either. How is this possible?

18. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 14, 2012

I am so upset. So very upset. I just don't get it.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2012

School shooting

Im sure by now you've heard of the massacre in a CT elementary school...sweet kindergarten babies. My heart aches.

20. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Dec 14, 2012

I can't understand how anyone could kill someone else, let alone 20 innocent children.

21. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Dec 14, 2012

I keep thinking about the parents of these little kids. They're so little. I refuse to imagine the horror of losing my son. It's so frustrating to think of how that young man ended up where he did with no one noticing that something was wrong somewhere along the way. Instead his problems come out like the bullets out of his guns and destroy the lives of hundreds of people and disrupt the lives of millions all over the country. We don't need horrors to remind us to hug and love our kids and we don't need young children asking us why someone would do such a thing. We don't even know why, how can we explain this to our kids? I'm so tired of the political arguments on Facebook about gun control and the tweets about "stop tweeting and contact your congressman." I gave up on social media about two hours ago. I don't know about y'all, but I can't handle a heated political discussion when I'm too busy trying not to cry at work or in front of my little boy.

So back I go now to hug him again and squeeze him extra hard even though he doesn't understand why I seem so desperate today.

Devastating.

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2012

I haven't actually seen this on the news yet. I need to get home and see the news, but what a sad, sad thing. How in the world can anyone hurt little, innocent children. Absolutely devastating.

23. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Dec 14, 2012

This is hitting me really, really hard. I can't take it!

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 14, 2012

Agreed. :(

I keep thinking about what I was doing at that time this morning...My students were just arriving to school. Those poor parents. Those poor kindergarteners who survived, but watched their friends and teacher get murdered. How does a 5-year-old recover from that?

25. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Dec 14, 2012

unbelievably horrific and his mother was the teacher in that K classroom this is our worst nightmare come true

26. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 14, 2012

I merged all of the threads on the shooting together, so those reading may notice some disjointed posts. I knew we'd all come together to greive for those poor souls, this just puts it all in one place.

27. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 14, 2012

So many emotions going through my body right now. I keep thinking about my 24 second graders, my nephew, my mom (who's a kindergarten teacher), and her kinder kiddos.

Really makes me feel like we need to beef things up here in our district and do more mock emergency drills, too!

All I know is that this story really tugs at my heartstrings!!!

28. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Dec 14, 2012

This happened close to home. We have family friends whose kids attend that school. One was going to volunteer in her child's classroom and arrived at the school as the shooting was occurring. Her child is okay but some of his friends are not. It is absolutely devastating, I cannot wrap my head around why he shot his mother at home and still went to her classroom and shot BABIES. :( :(

29. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2012

I saw this when my kids were at recess and managed to hold it together until I got home, but I can't stop crying now, either. I keep thinking of my kids faces when we lost a student to an accident a few years. I can't fathom the grief in this situation...

And now NBC was reporting that the mother was killed at home and then he went to the school. That part just has me absolutely sick.

30. Securis

Securis Cohort

Dec 14, 2012

I can not even imagine what emotions the parents and the children who were there might be feeling. I saw the news around noon today and am still to stunned to process. It's awful.

31. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2012

I heard that the dad was killed at home.

32. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

33. applecore

applecore Devotee

Dec 14, 2012

My third graders were singing Christmas carols when I heard the news.

Trying to smile through the tears wasn't easy.

34. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2012

I cry every time I hear stories of brave teachers thinking only of protecting their students. We will probably see more security changes in schools like we did after Columbine.

35. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2012

There are 132,071 schools that did not have a shooting today.
    There are parents and school staff in every one of them that are saying
    "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them--yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me"
    1 Corinthians 15:10​
    The one answer that will never be answered is, "Why."

Why are we having so many deranged people that go on a killing sprees, it does not have to do with the weapon because there are so many weapons (cars, knifes, bombs, bricks and guns) that can be used. We need to find out why this is happening, what is mentally wrong with the killers?
    We have had school shootings since Charles Whitman who who killed 13 people back on August 1, 1966 in Austin, Texas. We Have
    had more violence in schools in the last 20 years.
    My prayers and thoughts are with the families and staff from Sandy Hook Elementary School.

36. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 14, 2012

What is mentally wrong and then how to treat them before something like this happens. I just saw Dr. Drew commenting on this-how our system really doesn't do well with issues of mental health. There are often signs, but not much support when it comes to helping people.

I also thought of the fact that we haven't had a lockdown drill yet this year. I can't even imagine having to react to the real situation.

37. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 14, 2012

As a teacher, an act like this is my greatest fear. As a parent, it is the worst nightmare I could possibly imagine.

My heart breaks for those parents who lost a child to this senseless act and my prayers go out to everyone affected by this horrible tragedy.

38. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Dec 14, 2012

I didn't hear about this until this evening (home all day, didn't read the news and no TV). I wad running at the gym and had to take a few moments to hold in the tears and internally collect myself. I feel for the parents, children, community, and even our whole country. The violence, mass violence, in "safe" places makes us all a little more uneasy and a little less trusting. The loss of so many young lives is just heart wrenching.

I don't think we will ever know why people do this because many of us can't comprehend doing it ourselves. I do think it has a lot to do with technology and how that dehumanizes us, and less to do with access to guns or violence (though I do think these could be contributing factors to the amount of damage done). Take this forum, for example. I watched the YouTube video of a teacher's resignation, and someone even commented on putting the name to a face. I see many posts from the same people, but I don't know them as people because I've never met them. Even on Facebook, I have met everyone on my Facebook, I see their pictures, thoughts, etc, but many I haven't seen in a while, so they only exist to me as a Facebook page. And here in reality I think people are disconnected. In college, how many people wear headphones walking across campus, totally oblivious? I think we, society, have lost that humanity when we view other people.

I guess I'm one of those people who thinks we are too connected because it allows us to only see what our who we want, and to heck with everyone else because they don't really exist to us as people. I know not everyone is this way, but I think that line of thought is out there

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2012

Ditched math this afternoon and made gingerbread houses with my third graders. Then we went and read with our K reading buddies...needed those happy moments and sugary smiles this afternoon.

40. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 14, 2012

My college roommate found out her daughter's former middle school teacher was the principal at Sandy Hook. She is among the dead. Teachers and principals touch so many lives. Generations of that community must be in so much pain. I know my old friend is having a terrible time comforting her daughter, who is definitely old enough to understand what has happened. Is anyone old enough to understand why?

41. MsKayy

MsKayy Rookie

Dec 14, 2012

It's such a sad day ;( I went to my Kindergarteners and hugged and kissed everyone of them!! To think about them, and that shooting made me cry. I just don't understand.

At first they said his mother was in the classroom which would have at least me an ounce of sense. But she was a home... Dead from his hand. And he then went and killed those babies.

Dont get me wrong, all life is precious.. But 20 innocent babies?! That is the epitome of evil.