Shooting at Batman Showing in DENVER

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by bandnerdtx, Jul 20, 2012.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 20, 2012

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 20, 2012

He was targeting people as they were walking out!

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 20, 2012

Just heard about this. So very, very sad. I am just not sure how to make sense of the world anymore.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

God, how awful.

Prayers for the victims.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 20, 2012

I'm glad that the suspect is in custody. The reports said he was just sitting in his car, no attempt to flee.

7. Luke8Ball

Luke8Ball Rookie

Jul 20, 2012

I heard there were gas canisters. Are those in the movie as well?

So sad.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 20, 2012

I don't know, Luke, but they said so many people were decked out in costumes that he could have come in with just about anything and gone unnoticed.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2012

I just read about that. I really don't understand why someone would do this.

(Also- who brings their 3 month old to a midnight showing of a movie? Or to any movie?)

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 20, 2012

CNN is reporting that only 12 are dead and that original reports of 14 are incorrect.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

Watching on Fox now.:(

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

I woke up to this news this morning--what a terrible tragedy.

13. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 20, 2012

How terribly sad. What a horrible world we live in that we now have to fear going to a movie.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2012

I woke up about two and turned the tv on for noise. I saw the breaking news around three-ish.

They haven't said what the motive was on the stations I've seen.

How pointless and tragic.

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 20, 2012

Teacherintexas, I haven't heard anything about a motive yet, either. They said he wasn't listed on any terrorist watch list, though.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 20, 2012

I was wondering about the baby also :dizzy:
    Someone on the radio said that something like this happened in a movie and a character acted in the same manner (throwing the canisters) so maybe the suspect wasn't "all there" and tried to recreate a scene from the movie??

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2012

This is awful!

18. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jul 20, 2012

Just heard about this. What a horrific tragedy! My prayers go out to the family and friends of those affected. I agree, it's such a shame we have to life in a world where we now fear going to the movie theater!

19. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 20, 2012

Absolutely horrifying and tragic. I woke up in the middle of the night and checked a different website to see someone posting an eye witness account. Scary.

I haven't seen it mentioned that he was in costume, just armor and a gas mask. I don't know if he was replicating another movie, but it was the midnight premier for this one so he had not seen it yet. I only mention it because I'm worried about people who are interested in things like dressing up in costume for movies being stigmatized in the future as a result of this. :( Either way, I don't think anyone who would shoot a room full of people, including children, is all there. Just sickening.

Edit: They lowered the number of people killed from 14 to 12 and estimated wounded from 50 to 38. We can only hope neither of those numbers increase. :( They also identified the shooter.

20. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 20, 2012

Apparently the previews for this Batman movie showed scenes bombings/ mass shootings/ etc. at public events. There is also a character in this movie that dresses the same way the shooter was. My prayers are with the victims and the shooter's family today--it's a horrible situation.

21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 20, 2012

This story was on my radio when I woke up this morning. How incrediblysad. My prayers go out to all those involved.

22. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

How very sad. I saw the news when I woke up this morning. I can't believe anyone could do this.

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 20, 2012

It's just so difficult to understand why someone would do something like this. It doesn't make any sense...Who would think this is ok? It's so scary to think that there are people like this out there.

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 20, 2012

Wow . . . I just don't get people.

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2012

I am disgusted and heartbroken.

And now the police chief speaking with the update says people are "pranking" in the aftermath, one person calling a national station representing himself as Chief Oates.

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2012

I just saw that too. This whole thing is sad. There's so much evil in the world.

28. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jul 20, 2012

We just heard the news. Drove home from a vacation with my cousins and listend to sirius radio, and had no idea until we arrived home.

So sad, scary, and plain stupid. I don't get why someone would do this.

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2012

They pulled the trailer for Gangster Squad that's running...shows men opening fire on a theatre full of people. Probably no connection, but it's one of those things that makes you feel a little funny in the stomach.

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

My sister-in-law lives very close by--she emailed to let us know that she was okay.

31. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 20, 2012

One of my good friends moved to Denver after graduation. He was supposed to go to that theater last night, but his friend's car broke down on the way. :dizzy:

32. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2012

Wow Mike...how scary.

It just breaks my heart that people do these sick, twisted things. From what I read, he was dressed like a SWAT team member and threw gas canisters and started shooting when the smoke went off...and he really shot at people who tried to escape.

And apparently when police checked his apartment, it was all booby trapped. :( Crazy...makes me scared for my son and his future in this scary world.

33. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 20, 2012

http://www.jordanghawi.com/denver-theatre-shooting-jessica-ghawi/

:(

Yeah, he scared me. I texted him a few times and tried calling, but nothing. About an hour later he texted me and said "If you hadn't deleted your Facebook, you'd know I'm alive. Love you man." I replied with some colorful vocabulary to make sure he knew how scared I was.

34. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2012

So very, very painful to read that sister's story.

35. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2012

Yeah JustMe...my eyes filled up with tears reading that :(

So glad your friend is ok, Mike!

36. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2012

I have a friend who lives twenty miles from that theater but is thankfully out of state.

37. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 21, 2012

I read a topic on another forum I visit from a person who was in the theater where the shooting happened (And they were posting things in the topic long before national news started to report it). The person entered through the emergency exits, which the shooter had propped open. The only way the person from the forum got out unharmed was because they got there a bit late, so they had to sit in the back of the theater.

38. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 21, 2012

I just saw an interview of the parents that took their 3 mos old to the movie. While I think it was very irresponsible of them, I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. After all, the baby would be sleeping anyway.

First, the father described how he could not find Ethan in the smoke and chaos. Uhm....WHY were you not HOLDING your 3 mos old baby or at least knew EXACTLY where his stroller was?

Then dad described his indecision of trying to jump over the balcony and wondering if he could do that without risking injury to Ethan.

In the end, the "dad" decided to save his own **** skin and just HOPE that baby Ethan would not be hurt. Yes, that's right. Dad LEFT ETHAN BEHIND as he jumped over the balcony and ran outside to save his own sorry hide.

Civility and the forum rules prevent me from expressing any more of my true feelings about this "dad".

39. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2012

Cerek, is this the same man who proposed to his girlfriend after the incident? I saw part of the interview and heard him speak of not knowing what to do in terms of his children and thought I misheard. Maybe I didn't? He said he left because he didn't want his children, if they survived, to grow up without a father. But then he went back in... Did I hear this all right?

I know in moments of TERROR not everyone responds reasonably. So I try very hard to not judge this father's behaviors.

40. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 21, 2012

Yes, same guy. He decided to propose to mom in the ER after their traumatic event.

I understand not knowing what to do and not always reacting reasonably in a moment of terror, but he left his 3 month old baby behind while he ran for safety. I would much rather my children grow up without a father than for me to grow old without my children.

While it's impossible to know how we would react in a situation until we face it, I simply cannot imagine facing a situation where I or my kids could be killed and running away to leave my kids to fend for themselves and just HOPE they come out OK.

My 15 and 14 yr old might be able to get out on their own, but there is still no way I would leave them behind and I **** sure would not leave my 10 year old behind. This guy, though, left a completely helpless BABY behind. Once he reached safety outside, he said "I just kept HOPING Ethan was OK". Sorry, you're the dad. It's your job to MAKE SURE you're baby is safe. You DO NOT just leave it to chance. :mad:

Oh..and I never heard the dad say anything about going back inside. In fact, he and mom never mentioned HOW they were reunited with their kids and seemed focused a lot more on each other in the interview than on the two innocent children they put in danger's way.

41. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 21, 2012

The interview I read with them is that he LEFT the theater once he got out. As in, got in his car and drove away. Knowing his gf, 4 year old daughter, and 4 month old son were still inside. His gf was injured due to a shrapnel (sp?).

She had the 4 year old and looked over and saw the baby unattended in the aisle. She grabbed for him, and then once the police came in left with both kids. She got outside & had to borrow someone's phone to call him to come back for them.

He proposed at the hospital.