Shoot it to me straight.... is this lame?!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Emmy&Me, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Emmy&Me

Emmy&Me Rookie

Jul 29, 2015

Lol. I have an interview tomorrow. When I was brand new to teaching and interviewing for my first position, I made a brochure. It was pretty well liked. It basically highlighted my resume, had a picture of me on the front, and had notable quotes from my references on the back. I think it's great for people with no experience looking to stand out.

Now that I have 4 years of exp would it be silly to bring one tomorrow? I'm just looking for a way to make myself memorable without looking completely full of myself!

3. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 29, 2015

What about a portfolio? As others have said on here, it is good to reference if something in your portfolio could help provide examples or additional information about questions that were asked. I too, have 4 years experience, and went on a few interviews this summer. When I first started interviewing out of college, I didn't reference my portfolio at all, but this year I was able to reference it on each interview. Specifically, I referenced it when they asked about assessing students and I was able to show them some examples of how I formally assess students and some note taking templates I created for informal assessments. There were other questions that I answered where they asked for specific examples and I was able to verbally give examples but also reference examples within my portfolio.

4. Emmy&Me

Emmy&Me Rookie

Jul 29, 2015

SCteacher, can you be more specific with all that you include? So you hold it during the interview and reference it? When I made a portfolio I always gave it to them when I arrived. Do you leave it with them? Sorry for so many questions!

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 29, 2015

I think as an elementary school teacher it would be a cute way to stand out. I don't think it would fly for any other positions in the district though.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 29, 2015

Worked for me. I didn't have pictures or anything, and they were just quotes along the side of my resume from letters of rec, but it left a good impression.

I've since updated it now though, because as the OP said, I probably don't need it.

I do agree with the idea of a portfolio. I brought in a binder that included my binder organization system. I personally have every procedure of my classroom written out into a document that's about 14 pages long. They rarely read it but it leaves an impression of preparedness.

I usually bring examples of student work so they can see the level of work I expect from students.

I find interviewers are particularly interested in how you handle students with special needs, differentiation, and being culturally inclusive, so any samples of lessons or work that you can provide that addresses any of these issues is usually good.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 29, 2015

For my last interview, I made a photo brochure of previous classrooms and blurred student photos. I used it to answer questions.

8. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 29, 2015

I think that is an outstanding idea! In an interview, it is often so hard to remember/think about the things that you've done and you would like to share with the interviewers. Sometimes you're feel frazzled, or nervous, and you forget to mention things. Having photos available (a) shows a level of preparedness for the interview and your actual classroom and (b) might work toward jogging your recall, start an organic conversation (which I think it major, in an interview).

To answer OP--your idea isn't lame at all.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 29, 2015

Wow, you guys prepare so much more than I ever did for my interviews!

I walked in with a few copies of my resume and that was it. No lesson plans, no scripted answers, no discipline system outlined.

I looked at the schools' websites before the interview. I interviewed in the same district where my kids attended so I was already comfortable with my understanding of district policies.

I'm really grateful that I always got an offer. I wonder if my competition presented portfolios at their interviews.

10. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 29, 2015

Some things I included in my portfolio:

- Assessments: formal assessments (like the DRA) and informal assessments (like a note taking template I used for Guided Reading which was perceived very well)
    - Student Work (I showed a writing sample of a student first month of school, midway, and June)
    - Communication (sample newsletter, sample behavior log, etc.)
    - Lesson Plans/Centers (sample lesson plan with differentiated instruction, pictures of some centers i've used)

I never showed my whole portfolio during interviews or spent too much time having the P look through it, but based on the questions they would ask, I would open up my portfolio quickly and show them examples.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2015

I think it is a great idea. This especially would be impressive in primary grades. :thumb: