Shoes??

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by olivecoffee, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

May 14, 2014

This may be a silly question, but what shoes does every one wear while teaching?

I'm student teaching in August and I'm in dire need of comfortable, professional-looking shoes. I'd like to have a pair that would be dressy enough for interviews, too. I did an internship this semester and my dress pants were too long (I hadn't had time to get them hemmed), so I wore platform heels because I wanted to look put together. My feet were NOT happy with me, and this was only 3 hours! My mentor wore Danskos, but my feet don't like them.

Thanks for the help!!

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 14, 2014

I wear plain ballet flats. I have them in several colors, and even some patterns. I basically live in them, even when I'm not at school.

4. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

May 14, 2014

Thanks for responding, MissCelia!

Do you get your ballet flats from anywhere special? I wore a pair once or twice during my internship and my feet hurt, too, but I think the ones I have have zero sup

5. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

May 14, 2014

I wear Danskos and Aerosoles. Danskos do take a bit of getting used to before they are comfortable, but they are definitely my favorite.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 14, 2014

I live in Aerosoles, mostly their ballet flats or their thick-heeled boots. I wear my one pair of Danskos in the winter when I want an extra inch of height. My only problem with them is they are tight across the top of my right foot.

7. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

May 14, 2014

I'm going to look into Aerosoles! I was looking at ECCO, but I wasn't sure how good they are for the price (160-ish per pair).

I might try Danskos one more time. My mom has a bunch because she's a nurse. I used to work in the ER department and I wore a pair for a few nights. I couldn't wait to take them off, but maybe it was because I was pregnant. Who knows!

Thanks for the replies!

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 14, 2014

I wear sneakers.

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 14, 2014

I tend to wear ballet flats as well and avoid high heels. We are required to wear professional looking attire so sneakers and sandals are big no-nos.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 14, 2014

I have really weird feet, so I just buy cheap ones and put in insoles, or not. As long as my shoes are really flat, it's better for my feet. Often the fancy shoes that are supposed to be better for feet hurt them, or I end up with crazy blisters in places I didn't even know I could get blisters. So when I find a pair that works (usually at Old Navy, though they were better a few seasons ago) I buy several pairs in several colors.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 14, 2014

I hurt my foot last summer and my ballet flats were killing me. I invested in a pair of Clarks- sort of ballet style, but with a thicker sole.

(And my K kiddos are getting to me. I seriously just typed 'fut' and had to change it. Oh my.)

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 14, 2014

Probably 90% of my shoes are Clark's and the others are Naturalizer and 1 rogue pair of SAS sandals.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 14, 2014

I don't own sensible shoes..except for my running shoes...which I don't wear to school.

14. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 14, 2014

I only wear Clarks. They are not cheap, but they are comfortable from day one, and they really last.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 14, 2014

Pink nikes :lol: we're pretty relaxed.

Now that the weather's changed I also wear sperrys, bass look alike sperrys, and bobs sandals. All are very comfy.

16. aprilshowers

aprilshowers Rookie

May 14, 2014

I wear a ton of ballet flats from target. I used to be big into fashionable, expensive shoes, but now that I am on my feet all day I want something that I can wear down without feeling guilty.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 14, 2014

I have to wear a bit of a heel and need arch support. I also hate frumpy shoes. My favorites are Sofft. I can wear them all day, no problem.

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 14, 2014

I always notice shoes. There's a teacher at my site who always wears nice heels.

One day I happened to do an informal walkthrough in her room and saw that she was teaching in slippers. Interesting. A few days later, I went to her classroom to pick up a student. Again, I noticed she was wearing slippers. After being in her classroom on many, many occasions, I've come to the conclusion that she wears slippers while in the classroom and I'm assuming she changes into her heels as soon as she leaves her room.

Seems like a lot of trouble to me, but I guess she likes the look of nice shoes but her feet can't tolerate them? :dunno:

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 15, 2014

I have pretty sensitive, hard-to-fit feet and I'm not willing to be uncomfortable. I hate wearing heels. They're really uncomfortable to me. Ballet flats don't cut it for me - my lower back would hurt after a day in those because they have NO support.

I wear Naots, which is a brand from Israel. They are very expensive (and I'm not the type to spend lots on clothes or purses or anything like that), but they are worth every penny. My solution is just to own less pairs of very high quality shoes. I swear by Naots. I own several pairs and have never been disappointed. They are AMAZINGLY comfortable all day. I never have to think about my feet, and for me that is a big deal because I get blisters, etc extremely easily. I've actually found that my work shoes are more comfortable for a day walking around Disneyland (constant walking and standing) than my sneakers are! Also, they last a long time!

Clarks are good too, but they don't fit my feet as well as Naots (too bad, because they're cheaper). My mom really likes Keens.

20. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 15, 2014

Clarks for me...

(Although I wish they could make them just a bit cuter...)

21. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 15, 2014

Sanitas...not very fashionable but I actually even wear them on the treadmill instead of sneakers.

22. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

May 15, 2014

It's interesting to see the different preferences in shoes! There are many teachers in the district for which I will be ST that where flip flops, sneakers and more casual shoes, but I really want to make an impression as a potential future teacher! This is my dream district!

I am going to look into Clarks, Sofft and Naots, too. I'm not a big spender on shoes, but I'll spend money on a pair or two if it means my back, hips and feet don't kill me!

The most expensive pair of shoes I own are running shoes, but I definitely can't wear those - besides being running shoes, they're bright blue! I've tried a few cheap flats, but they have no support and I have a high arc, so I'm worried about my feet.

YoungTeacherGuy - One of my mentors wore flip flops in the classroom but had heels on while walking around in the halls! When I worked office jobs, I knew plenty of women who did that.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 15, 2014

That reminds me of my second grade teacher. She would wear clogs in class but if she left the room she would put on her regular shoes which she kept under her desk. I guess she thought the clogs were more comfortable but they always seemed a bit clunky to me (but I was only 7 or so at the time LOL).

24. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 15, 2014

I have a couple of Merrell shoes. They are very basic, black clog-type shoes, and they are very comfortable.

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 15, 2014

Sofft are usually in the $100 range, but I can find them at Marshall's or TJ Maxx sometimes for under $40.

26. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 15, 2014

:yeahthat:

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2014

I wore my bright pink Asics today! I'm one of the coaches for a girls' running group that starts right after school and I don't have time to change, so twice a week, I'm ready to run!

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 15, 2014

I never ever feel guilty about my shoes...and I buy from everywhere... Payless, TJ Maxx, Macy's, Lord and Taylor, Nordstrom..I own no name band up to well known names...but they are all beautiful. If I wear them down, I et them reheeled. ...wear what makes you feel good.

29. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

May 16, 2014

I didn't even think about reheeling worn shoes. I've had a few in the past that were comfortable, but I tossed them because of the heels. :thanks:

30. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 17, 2014

I wear Danskos a lot - I know you said you don't like them, but you need to make sure they fit properly. They are supposed to slip a bit on your foot when you walk (it does take a little getting used to).

I've been having a lot of luck lately with Nine West for comfortable shoes.

31. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 17, 2014

I wear ballet flats or Toms to school. I haven't been brave enough to wear a heel because I think my feet would be killing by the end of the day.

32. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 17, 2014

I end up ordering shoes from Andrea (I am not sure if that is available in the states). The have a lot of comfortable shoes, but very nice looking. I always get the leather ones because they are the most comfortable. Oh, I just looked it up and it looks like it is available in the states. http://us.andrea.com/estados.aspx?ref=/catalogodigitalhome.aspx It´s in Spanish but maybe there is a way to change the language.

33. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 17, 2014

I usually buy from the Andrea ¨Confort¨ (comfort in English) section.

34. kab164

kab164 Companion

May 20, 2014

I would say do not buy cheap shoes, you will pay for that in the future. Good shoes are a big necessity for teaching. I love Clark's and buy them at outlet stores. Well worth the money!

35. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jun 9, 2014

I wear Toms also. They aren't perfect when it comes to support/comfort but I'm relatively young so they work for me. When I get a little older I know I'll need more support!

36. Miss_V_5

Miss_V_5 Rookie

Jun 22, 2014

I wear Keds, Toms, and Aerosoles. They are the only shoes that I can wear all day. I wear the Keds and Toms on more casual days and Aerosole wedges on the others.

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2014

It's a numbers game...I'll reheel my Coach and Ralph Lauren pumps forever...they're classics...cheap shoes once, twice at most...

38. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 29, 2014

I have plantar fasciitis and I am allergic to leather. I live in Crocs. There are so many cute styles!!!!

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2014

I wear heels most of the time. Fabulous heels...I'm used to them. I don't recommend to newbies....I think outside of sneakers I own 2 pair of flats.

40. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 29, 2014

Flats all the time. I did just invest in some Clark's, though. I must admit they are VERY comfy and seem much more durable.

But otherwise it's $15 Target flats for me! They don't last years and years, but I just get new ones when they're worn.

41. reneeinms

reneeinms Rookie

Jun 29, 2014

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.