Shoes...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Dec 22, 2012.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 22, 2012

I teach in a highly impoverished area of town. A few weeks ago, my principal asked us to send her the name of a student who is in need of shoes and the name of a student who is in need of a jacket.

It was hard to choose only two students! :(

Anyway, the other day, the school secretary called one of my students to the office. I didn't think twice about it (I figured she was going home early or something).

Five minutes later, the girl came back...crying. I assumed that she must've gotten in trouble for something. The kids were working independently on a math worksheet, so I called her over to my desk to see what had happened.

She was crying because my principal had bought her a new pair of shoes! Yes...tears of joy! She was so incredibly excited about her new shoes (she had no idea that she was getting a new pair).

She said, "I've always wanted shoes like these!"

Once she said that, I couldn't hold back the tears--such a sweet, genuine, and innocent thing to say.

I'll never forget this little girl and this story will be in my heart forever!!! :love:

3. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Dec 22, 2012

That is so great! Warms my heart!

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2012

:)x1,000

5. MsKayy

MsKayy Rookie

Dec 23, 2012

Oh wow! Amazing story!! So heart warming :)

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2012

What a beautiful thing.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 23, 2012

I teach in a school with only 300 students, and this year our staff provided several gifts each for the 78 children whose parents needed help. We don't want recognition, but I wish the public knew how truly caring teaches are.

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2012

How awesome!!!

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 23, 2012

It is important to remember these stories when you get down about the system or the paperwork that we are consistently asked to do and we have constant deadlines that have little to do with meeting the needs of our students. These are the stories that will help you remember the real reason you teach. You make a difference in a thousand ways and seldom get that moment unless you take the time to open your eyes and see it.