shoes

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by cinmcl61, Aug 6, 2005.

1. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

Ok teachers - I need advice ;-)

Now that I will be teaching a 6th grade LA class I know that I will constantly be on my feet. So......what do you wear on yours? Is there a brand or a specific kind of shoe you wear?

I know this is an odd question - but I have to get something that will not make me want to cut my feet off after a long week of school ;-)

3. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

Not an odd question at all! :) My Clarks shoes are really comfortable. I've also heard great things about Rockports and Easy Spirits.

~Jaicie :)

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 6, 2005

I like Eastport shoes, also. The best thing I do for my feet is to vary the shoes I wear; I find that if I wear the same pair too many days in a row, my feet start to hurt.

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2005

People have raved about Crocs- I even see nurses wearing them. You can get them in all colors so I guess it depends if you want people to look at your feet or not.:>) I've found it's better to invest in a higher end shoe (more expensive) like my D.Martens because they are built for wear and last forever.

6. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 6, 2005

I have a pair of danskos and a few pair of borns. They are very comfortable and they have a lot of different styles..both dressy and casual.

They are expensive (about $100 for danskos and $70-$80 for borns) however, they are well worth it. I've had mine for about 2-3 years! Plus, they are better on your feet!

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2005

well, I feel like Mr. Rogers, because I keep a comfy pair of tennis shoes in my room, so if my feet are sore, I switch into those. Very practical for me teaching K and moving around a lot during the day.

8. newoldteacher

newoldteacher Companion

Aug 6, 2005

E-bay

I wear Clarks, and Merrells....NEVER PAY FULL PRICE, because you can get them brand-new on E-Bay! :) Your feet will thank you for them.

:love:

9. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Aug 6, 2005

I wear black flip-flops every day.
    Its against my dress code but I'm just a rebel like that.
    One of my parents actually gave me money as an end-of-the-year gift with a note saying she hoped I'd use it to buy more flip-flops.
    If its too cold for flip-flops, I often wear my black heeled boots.
    I can teach in 2 1/2 inch heels without problem, so I will sometimes.
    I also have a pair of hot pink sneakers that made appearances on field trips quite often, or every once and a while on casual Friday.

10. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 6, 2005

zappos.com is a great place to find shoes. Free shipping and free returns.

Another option: custom orthotics (sturdy insoles) to customize your fit...
    My poor feet were nearing the end of their lives after only 5 years of teaching... I wasn't wearing good shoes (although I tried desparately to find some), and on top of that, I have really high arches and am more prone to problems. I'm not on my feet as much now, but I found an online foot doctor (www.ourfootdoctor.com) that makes custom orthotics for much less than they normally would be. (They were $600 through my local doctor.) They can fit into my shoes and support my feet... For the first time in my life, my feet feel good. I wish I would have had them back when I was teaching. I think anyone on their feet all day could benefit from orthotics, but especially people with either flat feet or high arches. It's so hard to find shoes that fit right otherwise. You can actually get inexpensive shoes and put the orthotics into them. It's actually better to get shoes that don't have much support (or shoes that have removable insoles) so you can customize the fit. They have different types of orthotics available - those that will fit more easily into loafers/some dress shoes or those that fit in sneakers. I got both since I have so much trouble with my feet.

Here's a direct link to the custom orthotics page:
    http://www.ourfootdoctor.com/orthoses.shtml
    Neither pair I got looks like the one pictured. They must make different types based on your needs. My dress shoe/loafer pair has a brown suede covering.

11. jkkroll

jkkroll Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

Aerosols is a really good brand too.

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 6, 2005

Cobby Cuddlers are my favorite... you can buy them at K-Mart, and they're usually not too expensive. I LOVE them.

13. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Aug 6, 2005

My mom is on her feet alot (retail) and she raves about her Lands End moc things.

14. DotyMath

DotyMath Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

Great Place for Good Shoes

I go to the medical supply place in the area where nurses' clothing is sold, and I buy shoes specifically made for nurses who are on their feet all day. Pothia is the name brand. I love the shoes and my feet no longer hurt.
    It seems like if a shoe company would design and manufacture shoes just for teachers that they would make a lot of money! :)

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 7, 2005

He..he..he.. My secret santa gave me frog house slippers last year. I sometimes wear them while I'm in the classroom. The kids get a kick out of it.
    As for comfy shoes...I'm a cute shoes person. I like to wear all kinds of shoes. If I'm wearing heels, I might bring a pair of flip flops to wear in the classroom. I want to look professional, but I want to be comfortable at the same time. I just sprained my elbow and ankle 1 1/2 weeks ago, so I have to wear sandals of some type. Not very professional if you're wearing suits and dresses. It's okay though. I broke the same foot in February (at school) and had to wear flip flops. I was too stubborn to go to the doctor until 3 weeks later. By then, my foot had already begun to heal. The doctor said there was no point on putting a cast on it. I did the same thing with a finger I broke in 4 places... Talk about accident prone... I think I got off subject. :p

16. SimplySue

SimplySue Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

Ever heard of Grasshoppers. Those work for me. I also love comfy clogs with pants in the winter. It will be hard to give up my flip-flops. They will stay as long as possible. So many kinds this year. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

17. Jake's Mom

Jake's Mom Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

I Love It!!!!!! Flip-flops are against our dress code as well (however some select teachers get by with it) I'd love to be a rebel!! I have a damaged tendon in my foot and during school it almost makes me cry, but I've worn flip flops everyday this summer and I've had no pain!!! Keep going with those flip flops!!!!! :cool:

18. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 8, 2005

Ellen A. I too love my flip flops and sandals. I too wore mine to work even though they were not really allowed. I have a couple of pairs that I wear lot but I love my reef flip flops.
    It is hard to find a summer shoe that is not open toed.

19. Teach4U

Teach4U Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

I don't wear shoes. I go in my socks and I let the kids do it too! :)

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2005

I love the flip flop fad, but I don't wear them. I do wear canvas black and white basketball shoes.Everyone Loves them. I get bored with the same shoes everyday so have thousands of pairs of shoes...or is it millions. Anyway, around here people seem to think it's cool if you're wearing Eastlands so I got a couple pair of those so they can say, "ARE THOSE EASTLANDS?!" They really are comfortable and make you feel rather smart. Shoes say alot about a person so be careful when buying them so you make the right impression. My moods change daily(sometimes hourly) so I have to have serious shoes(oxfords) and fun shoes(black canvas)lighthearted shoes(ballet type slip ons with skinny straps)I don't give a ****(old broken in sandals)higher heels(I am a fancy person today)Well, you get the picture. Have fun with shoes.

21. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Aug 8, 2005

I highly recommend Merrells. They are wonderful. I live in them!

22. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Aug 8, 2005

For a cheaper shoe, I have found that Cherokee brand from Target is very comfortable. I bought some backless loafers to wear when I was student teaching and they saved my life. You can dress them up or down. Also, I've had surgery on one foot twice and can't wear too much of a heel.

23. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Aug 9, 2005

I agree with going with some of the more expensive brands as well as mixing it up with some "fun, cheaper" shoes. I have a variety-- from KMart to Eastlands. My favorite shoe (by far) is by Clark. I need to go get a couple more pairs though because I wear them alot during the fall/winter here. Sometimes, I wear my NIKE crosstrainers-- just depends on the outfit. :)

~*Robin*~

24. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 9, 2005

I have a pair of 9 West that I love. I find that the most important thing is to change the height of the heels. I try not to wear the same shoe 2 days in a row.

25. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 9, 2005

Sometimes I walk around in my socks or even my bare feet, however, last year my left foot started having problems...something with the tendon and my heel. Anyhow, it hurts more if I walk around without shoes...so can't go shoeless. I've also found that I can put the gel inserts into my shoes and find that most any pair of my shoes tends to be comfortable for at least a day with those. And I also agree with switching it up each and every day. I find that my feet hurt less when I vary the shoes that I wear day to day.

26. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2005

I had a couple pair of Mushroom shoes. That's the brand...got them at Mervyn's. They are quite comfy. Even wore them while I was preggers. After going back when the baby was born I stretched them out...I just lived with it because it wasn't long until the end of the year!!!

27. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion