Shoes/Weight/Age and an Aide Question

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Starista, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Mar 27, 2015

Hi there,

So I know a huge batch of shoe threads pop up at the start of the school year but I am adding one as the year dwindles down to its last term.

I do my very best to dress my obese body professionally for my job as an elementary school teacher. I am noticing, however, that the older I get the more difficult it is for me to feel comfortable with all the standing/walking that our career demands.

Our school recently bought a building where the students have their "special" classes. It is a 7 minute walk one way from my classroom (a total of 10 if we do a restroom break, which we usually do before specials). After the walk back I am so winded, tired, and my feet are in pain.

I am doing what I can to slowly lose weight with the help of better cooking and weight watchers. Since November I've gone from 315 lbs. to 295 lbs. I know that is not much and I am hoping to increase it throughout the spring/summer etc.

Anyway -- a few questions:

1. If you have ANY shoe recommendations for an over weight teacher please send them my way. Dankso heels are too steep for me. The most comfortable shoes, which allow me to feel my best, are Birkenstocks. At our school we have to wear shoes with a backstrap - sandals mostly (we're in Miami).

2. With the exception of grades 4-5 every other elementary school teacher has an aide shuttle their classes to and from specials, to and from the cafeteria/recess and monitor all the restroom breaks. When I bring this up I have been met with "Oh, I don't know -- just how it's always been." Perhaps it bothers me so much because it's hard for me to walk that much, but it does seem unfair. In no way to the aides in any grade help with instructional routines, just the aforementioned, making copies, filing, hanging up work, etc. Is this worth caring about as much as I am?

Thank you for reading and any advice. I am happy that I am taking my weight seriously and as I approach 40 the toll that the weight is taking on my overall energy is becoming very apparent.

PS. Sorry for this being a bit all over the place. :) Our spring break is not until next Wed. :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2015

No shoe recommendations ( I know, shocking... I am the shoe queen...but I'm a heels and boots fan...). You are young...it's not to late to get your health under control. See your doctor regarding nutrition and trainiing and find an orthopedist

Start a walking regimen...get a FitBit or a pedometer...even if you increase your steps only by a hundred every week, it will make a difference. Asking for an aide because you can't / won't walk a few hallways distance without a medical diagnosis isn't going to be taken seriously....you can take control of your fitness ( coming from someone who never owned sneakers and within two years time is running 5 k races...)

I wish you health.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2015

Are you allowed to wear athletic shoes? I wear Brooks Ravennas basically every day. They are stability running shoes and they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. I've had two pairs, same color and everything, and neither had that "breaking in" period that most new shoes seem to have. If you can wear athletic shoes, I totally recommend something like what I have.

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Mar 27, 2015

I will ask. Our rule is no sneakers and we have major sandal guidelines. We are in humid south Florida so most wear sandals/peep toe heels. I like the way those look but I find that my feet are best with air at them due to being in the heat. Thank you so much for your kindness.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 27, 2015

I wear tennis shoes a lot. I also wear Bobs, clogs, and Sperrys. I have plantar fasciitis. It's a struggle sometimes but I make it work with what I can.

7. Starista

Starista Cohort

Mar 27, 2015

Thank you for your tips. My husband and I just ordered fitbits. I am so happy about that. They recommend it at Weight Watchers a lot. My doctor has also put me on a medication called Belviq which is an appetite suppressant. I see him monthly and he monitors how I am doing. Slow and steady.

My issue with the aide walking the other classes to and from specials is really because it makes zero sense to my why it doesn't happen in grades 4-5. The classroom teacher is not also walking with them so it has nothing to do with crowd control. Naturally, it would give me more planning time, etc but would also alleviate the foot pain -- it's not so bad when it's not in the 90s and hazy and humid. :)

8. Starista

Starista Cohort

Mar 27, 2015

A doctor's note seems to be the way to go for me. :)

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 27, 2015

I was going to say get a doctors note and good luck with your Fitbit! I love mine!

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 27, 2015

After I had foot surgery, I wore solid black or solid blue tennis shoes with my work clothes. I had a doctor's note, but I think my pain would have been enough of an excuse!

I've had severe foot pain so I know how that can deter your exercise. Finding shoes that don't hurt has to come first. Ask a podiatrist if you can't find any on your own.

I love my fitbit. It's a great motivator.

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 27, 2015

What about Dr. Scholls inserts for your sandals?

Congratulations on your weight loss from November to now. 20 pounds is 20 pounds! Losing weight is never easy--especially over a holiday season! Keep up the good work.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 27, 2015

Ask your doctor to write an exemption to wear athletic shoes or sneakers for orthopedic issues. I worked at a school with a ban, but HR accepted my letter and never bothered me again. You can find a variety of Mary Jane type sneakers in many brands, including Ecco, which I wear. Some have some cut out at the lower heel edge, and air circulating coverings that would work for your locale. Buy a couple of pair of whatever you buy to rotate. The better ones have insoles that pop out that can be washed and dried between wearings. Better take care of your joints now, because I can tell you that the result of the wear and tear is a lot of arthritis, surgery, and joint replacement. Advocate for yourself with the school for good, supportive foot ware. They will not have to walk in your shoes years from now, and you shouldn't have to wear the wrong shoes for the job at this point in your life. By the way - sandals feel nice, but can contribute to heel cracks that can also cause problems down the road.

A couple of examples drawn off of Ebay - quick find -
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECCO-WOMENS...989?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f8e2785d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECCO-BIOM-T...972?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4636a0e9b4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECCO-Vibrat...324?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf5b9fbe4

I have and love these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Womens-ECCO...044?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f8ee5f74

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ecco-Cosmo-...955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e76994cb

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 27, 2015

Wear whatever makes you feel good. I've seen it all: heels, running shoes, flip flops, sandals, etc.

We don't have a dress code for teachers.

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2015

First of all, good on you to start the journey of being healthier. I was also obese and had a lot of foot pain. The good news is losing weight really helped me, and it didn't take a lot of weight loss for the pain to start diminishing. It also helped with knee and hip pain. It has taken me about 5 years, but I have lost about 100 pounds and have no pain at all anymore. You are starting younger than I was, so you have the potential of even more success.

I believe slow and steady weight loss is healthier and more likely to stay off, so don't be frustrated.

I like Clark's, Naturalizer, Aerosoles and Easy Spirit.

One of the factors helping me lose weight was walking, so you want to get comfortable. At the beginning, water aerobics was also very helpful because it is easy on the joints and feet.

I got rid of my Fitbit and now use a Garmin Vivofit, but whatever you use will help keep you on track.

Good luck!

15. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 27, 2015

Losing 20 pounds in that timeframe is great. It is a healthy rate at which to lose weight - you don't want to lose it too quickly.

Try an orthopedist for the foot pain and consider seeing a nutritionist if you need help planning a healthy diet (That isn't too restrictive - if it's too restrictive, you'll just go back to old habits).

16. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Mar 28, 2015

17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 28, 2015

Sorry I can't help with the shoes (Born is my favorite brand), but that is a lot of plan time to lose. Do you have a contract? If so, see if it specifies your amount of plan time. Could you team up with another colleague, and if they were taking their class, could bring yours back? It would help both of you.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 28, 2015

I am also overweight and I have arthritis (and had plantar fasciitis and ganglion cycsts). It affected my feet so badly that I could barely walk. Cortisone shots didn't help. I'm in So Florida, too, and I couldn't take it when the doctor said I had to wear running shoes with orthotics - way too hot for me. I live in sandals. Try all of the good brands and make sure they have good arches.
    I finally found something that helped and changed my life - not kidding. I started taking an inexpensive anti-inflammatory called diclofenac (generic) once a day (after the maximum amount of aleve did nothing any more). The relief was amazing. I have no swelling, no pain, no sensitivity in my feet (and I have diabetes!) Try it.
    Then, tell your admin that you cannot walk the students to specials any longer, get a doctor's note, and stand up for yourself.
    Congrats on the healthy eating and weight loss. You sound very determined.

19. Starista

Starista Cohort

Mar 28, 2015

Thank you all so very much. There's so much weight shaming in this world and I appreciate the kindness extended to me.

I am embarrassed to speak with my principal about the fact that the weight issue is 100% why the walking issue is so difficult to me (discounting the fact that only 4th and 5th do this without an aide).

I am in a private school but will obtain a doctors note regarding wearing shoes that work for me. We attend Mass every Wednesday morning. Should I offer to switch to "professional attire" shoes during Mass and anytime we're having any special visitors?

It really is embarrassing. Even my son's PreK teacher wears stilettos to teach. I understand the need for professional dress. I always look clean, well put together, and am never sloppy. But a comfortable teacher is a happy teacher. A happy teacher is an effective teacher.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 28, 2015

I understand the embarrassment. Luckily, at my old school, everyone was open about various issues, not just weight. But, can't you just say that the walking is an issue because of foot problems or arthritis or something related, but not specifically weight? People wear just about everything to Mass these days, especially in Fl. I wouldn't trade comfort for wearing something that didn't suit me.

21. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 28, 2015

My mom has foot pain & plantars fasciitis too.

But she can't take anti-inflammatories anymore since she developed a sudden & sever allergy to them.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 28, 2015

Oooh. I hope she has found something else that works for her.

23. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Mar 28, 2015

Drew Bloom II Mary Janes ...these are expensive, but sometimes you can find them cheaper at Amazon

Propet makes a similar model for less money

24. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2015

Congrats on your weight loss journey! Don' worry about how long it has taken you to loose x amount of lbs. You are doing it. That is what matters.

As far as shoes go, I would get a note if you think it is going to be an issue. I have a very hard time wearing heels to work, and really only have 2 pairs of wedges that I wear to school. The rest of my shoes are flats! I would wear that you need to be comfy and def. get a doctor note if you think you need to.

A 7 min. walk to specials? So that's another 7 min. back??? 14 min. lost every day for walking to and from specials? That seems CRAZY to me? What a waste of time! Do you pick the kids up, so you loose 14 min. of your planning time?? That seems just wrong for teachers and the kids. :dizzy::dizzy:

25. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 29, 2015

Starista, you are doing all of the right things to make your life healthier and to improve your capabilities. Weight loss will certainly make your life easier, but it is not some shame that you should let others saddle you with even as you are moving in the right direction. Get the right shoes, advocate for what you need now, and as you continue to lose weight and your feet thank you for it, perhaps walking the kids to specials will be less painful and turn into a way to add exercise in the middle of the work day, a win/win. However, you are not to that point yet, and you shouldn't feel bad about that. It would be so nice if we all were the perfect weight with perfect bones and joints, but life isn't perfect, and you aren't to blame for that. Do what works for you now, accept the feet and legs you have been given, and know that you can look professional and well dressed without wearing heels. If more women knew early on how much damage they were doing to their feet and legs because they choose fashion over well fitting foot wear, then the orthopedic surgeons would have fewer patients later in life.

I am so proud of the choices you are making to enhance and extend your life with your wise choices. Be well, get fit, and be happy.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 29, 2015

If you happen to have a J. Stephens, Footsmart, & The Walking Company shoe stores, those, as you probably know, carrry all the comfort brands.

If you've never tried the brand Bernie Mev, you might want to try it: http://www.berniemev.com/

I personally find Dansko to be heavy & stiff. (If your feet just stay motionless, then they feel alright! :))

27. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 29, 2015

She's pretty much walking around every day in pain, especially since her back is also pretty bad - that's why she took the NSAIDs. When there's bad weather, her back can just go out at a moment's notice.

28. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

Apr 1, 2015

While they are not nearly as comfortable as sandals, I have been wearing Clarks for quite a while. At this point I have a hard time wearing anything else because they are so comfy...some of the styles are a little matronly, but my feet aren't killing me at the end of the day.

29. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 1, 2015

Clarks sandals are the best, lots of support and comfortable to walk in all day. My mom has serious foot issues and can walk around in them all day.

30. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 1, 2015

I agree with the others, congratulations on the weight loss! Keep fighting! I'm also overweight. In addition I have sciatica which flares up pretty badly sometimes. Our school is built on the side of a hill. (On a side note, it makes for epic rides in the rolling chair down the hill!) so, I always wear straps on my sandals. I'm a firm believer in getting quality shoes. I do wear Earth sandals every once I a while, but I try to get one good pair. I just got these at a local department store. I whimpered at the price, but it was worth it. They're not super cute, but I'm more for comfort: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...eywords=born+halona&sprefix=Born+halo,aps,399

31. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 1, 2015

I have foot pain and love Clarks.

I recently bought some Skechers Go Walk tennis shoes, and I love them. I've bought two back up pairs already. I can't wear many tennis shoes because I can't tolerate the kind who are high around the Achilles' tendon. When I go to Academy, I might find two pairs of shoes to try on so when I find a style, I tend to stock up on it.

32. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2015

I too am heavy set.
    Congrats on the 20 pounds off!

I wear Sanita's which are an upgrade of Danskos. But I think they would be wayyyy too hot in your area. It took quite some time to get used to the heel but it's well worth it.

Why can't you continue with Birks? That's what I wear out of school in the summer. Our shoes must be closed toe.

Have you looked into Keens? I use them for walking and hiking and I am nearly as heavy.

Best wishes.

33. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 13, 2015

Update on this. Spoke to my principal who said okay with note. Got doctor's note over spring break.

Got email from P today saying shoes were too casual and that they were too "flip flop" style. She asked me in person if I got email (before I read it) and probably reacted too upset.

It's the first day after break and I'm tired, etc etc. I mentioned how the shoes (Birkenstocks) weren't cheap and that I could send her a link of shoes she could pick from that meet the school's approval. She said they're not professional enough. I teach in 99 degrees humid and hot Florida. I'm really sick of this. :( I wish shoes weren't this important.

Feeling sad, defeated, and like my value is based on my footwear,
    Star

34. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 13, 2015

In my opinion, this is very petty. Thinking about what someone is wearing is the last thing on my list of priorities; I didn't sign up for being a member of the fashion police.

Our teachers' master agreement states that they must wear "professional attire." Administrators have been told that this can be interpreted in many different ways, so we shouldn't bother to "go there." I'm perfectly fine with that.

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 13, 2015

So what was the point of getting a doctor's note if she's going to veto the shoes anyway? I'm sorry. This makes no sense.

36. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 13, 2015

I love shoes, but I also wear mostly heels and boots. I love Sofft for comfort. I have really wide feet with high arches. My Brooks Adrenaline are my favorite athletic shoe, but I never wear them to work.

I lost 46 pounds from October 2013 to April 2014 just by counting calories. I had just turned 43 when I started. I'd gained a lot of weight during medical treatment, and it was harder than I expected to get it off. I felt amazingly better with the weight gone.

37. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 13, 2015

38. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

39. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 25, 2015

I have not read the entire thread, but I feel you pain (sort of).

First off, CONGRATS ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!! More importantly Congrats on the will power and dedication to weight loss. I simply cannot make myself stay away from cr@ppy food and get more exercise. Keep up the great work!

As for shoes, I have to wear shoes that allow for these awful hard plastic inserts. They wouldn't be so bad if they allowed me to wear sandals and didn't make it impossible to find shoes that fit. The most comfortable brand I have found is ecco. They are NOT cheap, but the ARE worth the money.

40. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 25, 2015

You have to get psyched about the weight loss I think. That's what I need to do. I am going to try to look for Ecco especially if they have a wide footbed. I determined that's what make Birkenstocks work for me, the wide footbed.

Let ,e know if you want to be weight loss buddies!!

41. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 27, 2015