Shoes off in the house?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Jan 26, 2014.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 27, 2014

I've never had to ask someone to remove their shoes. Most people have done it automatically when they come over. It's not a big deal to me, though.

2. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2014

When I go in a house I always ask if I need to take off my shoes.

In my house I always wear flip-flops around. We have ceramic tile floors and open windows and a dog. So the floor is always covered with dirt and dog hair. I don't want that on my feet!

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 27, 2014

Same here! I've never been asked to take off my shoes, and I would be uncomfortable (but obliging) if asked.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 27, 2014

Haven't you heard of the expression, "d@mned if you do, d@mned if you don't"? Or if you're asking what I mean by that, I said why in the following sentence of that post.

5. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jan 27, 2014

I wouldn't ask guests to remove shoes. I have never been asked, but have asked before.(white carpet,etc.) I was never asked to remove them.I have lived in 3 states, but it may be more of a regional thing....

6. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jan 27, 2014

Lol. At a party in the wintertime in Canada? Good luck finding your shoes in the mountain of footwear by the door. Bonus points if you can do it without getting your feet wet!

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 27, 2014

I don't automatically take my shoes off when I come in the house. Just depends on what I'm doing. I don't put my shoes on until I'm leaving the house though. I don't ask anyone to take their shoes off when they come in. Now that I think about it my son's friends all take their shoes off when they come in, but not my daughter's friends.

I would not like to be asked to take my shoes off, especially in the winter. My feet are always cold. Hubby can't feel one foot, so he could easily fall if he doesn't have his brace on.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2014

When you type it like this, it's clear what you meant. Your prior post was simply d@---I thought it was some tech expression.:rolleyes:

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 27, 2014

If you have a boot tray near your front door then people would see it when they came in and most would automatically take their shoes off. If I knew my shoes were overly dirty/muddy/whatever I would probably take them off. If it was a regular dry day I might not think of it. If someone wore their shoes in my house I wouldn't go into panic mode. I have a door mat and small rug near the entrance of my house so feet can be wiped there. I think it's a little cuckoo to be worrying THAT much about it. If you have white rugs in your house then you're just asking for trouble!!! :lol:

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2014

I grew up taking our shoes off, I trained hubby to take his shoes off, and I DO ask guests to take their shoes off. The city is gross!!!!! The area by the door, inside the house, is where we take our shoes on and off and it's filthy!! I clean it regularly and can't imagine all that gross stuff smeared around the house. Bleh!

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2014

No one is allowed to walk thru our daycare in street shoes. Shoe covers are provided, but most remove their shoes. We all keep indoor shoes at work and put them on as soon as we enter the building. It's wonderful and no one complains. Our floors stay clean and the children are not exposed to all the street dirt/germs.

12. asha

asha Rookie

Jan 29, 2014

We always took the shoes off. Unfortunately, with beautiful California weather people feel like their shoes are clean. I asked few to take them off, but sometimes I feel strange to do it.:blush: But the whole time they are in my house, I keep thinking about their shoes. Once they leave, I go and clean.
    I have new babysitter who did not take her shoes off and I saw pieces of dirt on my girl's nice rug. I think, I need to get one of those signs. Although, I kind of feel that you are either rude or oblivious when you do not see that my house is clean, I am wearing socks, and there are shoes by the door.
    I always take shoes off in other people's houses, although those that wear shoes in a house have very dirty floors as I later learned from the color of my socks. :|