Shoes Around the House?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 17, 2012

What type of footwear do you wear around the house?

I mostly was barefoot for most of my life, which isn't good, but I do like & have been wearing those slip-ons from Okabashi for the last few years. They're nice for around the house. I do have some fun, fuzzy slippers too, but I don't wear them that much.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2012

I wear hard-soled fuzzy slippers.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2012

I almost always wear socks. I wouldn't wear shoes in the house and I've never liked slippers. I realize it's totally weird but I just don't like being totally barefoot. Even if I wore sandals that day when I come home and take them off I'll get out a pair of socks.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2012

The only time I wear anything on my feet is when I have to go somewhere in the car. Otherwise my feet go bare.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 17, 2012

I don't like being barefoot either so I usually wear slippers.

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 17, 2012

I am always bare foot in my house. I keep a pair of flip flops by my door because shoes are the first thing that goes off when I get home.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 17, 2012

I wear slippers like these in summer and like these in the winter.

I never go barefoot or wear just socks. I have some numbness in my feet, and I'm afraid I'll injure myself and not realize it.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2012

Barefoot in summer, socks in winter.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2012

Pretty much this, but sometimes flipflops in summer, Uggs slippers in winter.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 17, 2012

I wear Clarks flip flops. They are soooo comfy.

12. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 17, 2012

This unless it's really cold. Then I might go dig out my slippers. But I'd probably just put on a second pair of socks. I'm weird.

13. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 17, 2012

Haflinger wool slippers. I love the way they conform to my feet - so comfortable!

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 17, 2012

I *hate* wearing shoes. H.A.T.E. (maybe it's the West Virginia in me. :lol:) So I only put shoes on if it's socially unacceptable for me not to wear them and even then, I wear the most comfy shoes possible.

15. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Jun 17, 2012

I love wearing hospital socks around the house. They're soft, comfortable, and I love the rubber soles.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2012

Same here!

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 17, 2012

This is me...except for the West Virginia part! I love Reef flip flips. So comfortable.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2012

Outside shoes aren't allowed in the house. I also really hate wearing shoes anyways.

Typically, I'm barefoot. If it's super cold, I might wear socks.

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 17, 2012

It's funny though...I am always barefoot, but I absolutely would NEVER allow any kid to take off their shoes at school. Not safety, not because of fire drills or whatever, just because I really hate their cute little feet. Blech.

Just call me hypocrite.

20. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 17, 2012

barefoot with flip flops by the door.

21. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jun 17, 2012

Interesting reading other responses... :)
    Living in southern CA, I am always barefoot, even in the "winter" ( I use that term loosely).....
    And I also wear flip flops outside year round (except to work of course!!)

22. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 18, 2012

How many barefoot people live out in the country? I used to be a barefoot person until moving into scorpion territory!

23. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 18, 2012

Barefoot whenever possible! I'm in SoCal as well, so it doesn't get too cold very often. If it does, I might wear socks. I grew up playing outside barefoot all day long (after school and in summer, of course) and I wish I could do the same now! My mom's neighborhood is fine to go outside and I have no problem doing it, but none of the ones I've lived in since moving out have been as clean and nice. Nothing like soft grass on your toes. :) I've tried to start wearing slippers, but the habit never sticks.

I hope they start making those barefoot shoes more attractive because I love the idea. The whole toe thing is too weird for me right now.

24. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jun 18, 2012

I also hate wearing shoes, I even hate socks! I wear flip flops all year long, the only time I wear shoes is to the gym. I go barefoot all year round in my house.

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2012

No scorpions :)eek:), but we do live in a rural area. Especially growing up, we didn't even need shoes because after a while of walking on rocks and just generally outside, your feet harden enough to keep most briars out.

26. ally06

ally06 Companion

Jun 18, 2012

I rarely wear shoes inside my house. I go barefoot in summer but wear socks or slippers (or both) in winter.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2012

EIther I'm barefoot or I'm wearing whatever I wore outside. From Wednesday until Labor Day, that means Teva Mush flip flips :)

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2012

Not weird, I'm the same.

29. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 18, 2012

Barefoot except when I'm cleaning house. Then it is knee high hose. Why? The dirt doesn't stick to it as much thus it doesn't pick up dirt and deposit it in other areas I just cleaned quite like other options. If you track on wet floor, it doesn't track quite like other stuff does nor does the dirt picked up from other areas smear into the water.

I know it sounds like I must have the dirtiest floors ever but these floors have to be swept daily. I miss carpet.

30. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 18, 2012

City girl, here, so no scorpions! My sister lives in a rural area in the Texas hill country, and she has scorpions EVERYWHERE! Yikes!

31. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2012

Slippers in the winter when I'm walking around, but they come off the moment I sit down! Socks don't last long, either. In the summer, I'm barefoot or wearing flip-flops. If I'm cleaning or up and moving around, I'll try to remember to put shoes on, since my grandma always tells me that's better for your feet.

32. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2012

Me too. I loathe anything on my feet. And I won't have real shoes on again until the first few weeks of school. :)

When it is very cold, I will put on socks in the winter, but never to sleep. Bleh!

33. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jun 18, 2012

Around the house, I usually wear hard-soled, sheepskin slippers. Love them! Or I am barefoot. Depends on how cold it is in my house.

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2012

Yes, I HATE socks only, whether walking around at home or sleeping in bed!

Now that I'm in my new apt that has VERY light-colored carpeting...I'm sure it's to make the space appear bigger, I'm even more careful about shoe-wearing. I put my revolving shoe rack in the coat closet right at the front door to eliminate unnecessary walking of regular shoes through the apt. I got my BF Nike slip-on shoes to change into the moment he steps foot inside.

Yikes! I don't live in the country, but I couldn't live in a place with scorpions! Just like I wonder how people live in Austrailia since they have quite a few dangerous spiders, sharks, etc. over there.

35. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 18, 2012

If you married the most wonderful man in the world, and he lived in the country and five or six scorpions got in the house every year, that's a small price to pay. Plus, the peace and quiet, seeing the rabbits and deer roaming around, and not having neighbors more than made up for having to forego my barefoot habit.

Now that I live in two homes, with one being in town and no scorpions as of yet, I still wear my flip flops.

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2012

teacherintexas, since you put it that way, here's what I'd do! :D

From someone who doesn't even care for too many daddy long-legs & spiderwebs in general (which is why I never really went into my parents' sunroom, even though they had the biggest screen TV in the house in there, I'd convince my "most wonderful husband in the world" to soon move. After all, if he's that wonderful, he wouldn't want to see me in agony all the time. I do not want to live where I ALWAYS have to watch what's crawling around & I despise bugs, spiders, lizards, & other pests.

And regarding seeing rabbits & deer all the time, I'm a city girl anyway. I have enough good quiet right here in the city I live in right now. And w/ all those kinds of animals in the country, then I'd have to worry about ticks, Lime disease, etc.

37. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2012

I've never worn shoes in the house for my whole life. In the winter, sometimes I'll wear socks.

38. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 18, 2012

Only date city boys!

My late husband did a lot of things to make me more comfortable like installing a lot more outside lights, a covered walkway, a fence to keep the cows out of the yard, a storage building, kept wasp nests away, and killed five scorpions a year for me. He had a successful ranch when we met and it never even occurred to me to ask him to sell it so we could move into town. He wouldn't have been happy. I couldn't not marry this man. I loved him enough to live anywhere with him. And now after living in the country, I wouldn't be happy living in a big city again. My home in town is in a nice, quiet neighborhood with no thru traffic. But even then, when we've been in town too long, I miss being in the country so we pack up for the weekend and go live in our other home.

There are also poisonous copperheads and rattlesnakes and an occasional cottonmouth by the tanks. I've only seen one copperhead in the yard, and didn't like that one bit. But that is not enough to make me not want to live in my version of paradise.

One person's paradise is another person's hell. It just depends on your perspective.

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2012

That's great that your husband did those things to make you comfortable. In the country, I just don't like not having shops, etc. around me. I'm a shopper & like to go places & shop, even browse Target, etc., so I'm afraid the country would be a little too boring for me. It may be nice to go to for maybe a week once a year & even then, I may not be able to wait to get back.

40. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2012

I have always been a fan of being inside with my socks on. Shoes come off as soon as I get home and sit down. Socks, they stay on even during the summer unless I get too warm or going to be spending time outside by the pool.

41. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 18, 2012

My shoes are the first thing that come off when I get home. I love cute shoes... But I love being barefoot more!