Shoe organizer as mailboxes?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by waterfall, Aug 1, 2012.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

I actually asked about mailboxes last year...haha. I looked up that old thread and saw someone had recommended a shoe organizer, but didn't reply back when I asked how it worked. Last year I ended up getting one through my school- an old one they found and let me keep- but obviously it had to stay at that school- so I'm looking again!

Has anyone found the shoe organizer thing to work really well? I don't like that the slots would be so small and that you'd have to fold everything up or that it would be flimsy/hanging. I can just see that being an extra hassle- but of course, this option is WAY cheaper than anything else I've found.

The "cheaper" commercial ones all have reviews saying they're made of cardboard and fall apart within the year, and the good ones are too expensive. I only have a $200 budget and am inheriting basically nothing from the previous teacher. Given the SES status of my school community, I expect to have to supplement basic school supplies with my budget as well for students who don't bring them. I've looked around at goodwill and places and they don't have anything. I've heard the ikea boxes fall apart immediately as well. I thought the plastic "file sorter" trays from staples or office depot was a good idea, but after looking into it, to buy enough trays for the entire class would be just as expensive as buying a commercial classroom mailbox center.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

[​IMG]

I have used these for years.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

I have 2 stacked, so it gives me 30 boxes. I bought them my first year teaching. I have labeled the side of the inside with numbers on a white label, so I never have to worry about changing names out.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

I was actually looking for something like that- but I was looking on closet maid's site and couldn't find it- thanks! Did you find it hard to put together? I have the WORST luck with stuff from ikea or target that you have to put together yourself- maybe it's just me, but the stuff falls apart immediately and ends up being totally unusable so I'm always wary. I bought a target dresser for my first apt- one of those "put it together yourself" things and every time I opened a drawer it fell apart. I had a bed from ikea that was the same situation in college- although my grandpa (who is normally GREAT at building stuff) put it together for me. I had to tell people not to sit on it when they came in my room, because it would literally collapse!

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 2, 2012

I use a crate and put in a a hanging file folder for each student.

7. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 2, 2012

Yep, this is what I do as well. I found one that actually has wheels on it so it rolls around on the floor and students use it to fill with returned homework, letters home, etc.

I believe I found it at Office Depot, but don't quote me on that. :)

Having 33 students and being in a portable, it's not practical for me to have mailboxes sadly. :(

8. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

I use this too and I love it! I now use a file crate for students to turn their homework in too! They don't take up a lot of space and I can move it to my desk to file or check papers.

9. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Aug 2, 2012

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

I collect homework from each child because I write in their agenda any missing work.

I file papers to be given back in a crate with hanging files.

The shoe boxes are what I use to organize their morning work, and they also hold their calculators. I use this because it allows me to see who needs more work, as my morning work is differentiated and individualized. They work at their own pace.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

Personally, I think they are super easy to assemble. The things that go on the inside are interlocking and slide in.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

Oh- they stack. I have them on top of two ClosetMaid bookshelves, and it all stacks together. It takes up very little space IMO.

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012

I was going to go the shoe organizer, but settled on the crate instead. I didn't think the shoe organizers were practical for me because I teach 3 classes of 30 students. I would need 4 shoe organizers to make it work.
    I did get some cardboard organizers my first year teaching 2nd grade. They were still in great condition at the end of my second year. The only reason I stopped using them was because I switched schools and was teaching three classes.

I had 3 of these:
    http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/414875/Bankers-Box-60percent-Recycled-Literature-Sorter/

14. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012

16. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 2, 2012

I have what giraffe326 has. I love the shoe boxes. I purchased mine at Target two years ago and use it for all the papers and notices from the office. It is a time saver. I also put their homework in the mailboxes the night before.

I even have a student helper put notices in the mailboxes. I find it easier than passing them out.

17. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012

We do the same thing. And my kids were great last year about remembering to go to their mailboxes at the end of the day and emptying them.

18. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 2, 2012

19. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 2, 2012

I do this too and I love it because it doesn't take much space. I'm also going to ave one this year for the work they do in centers!

20. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2012

I wrote a lengthy blog post last summer as part of my Setting Up the Classroom Series that included lots of pictures and information on the MANY different mailbox systems I've used over the years. You might find it helpful.

These are my current one...although I've since painted them black.
    [​IMG]

21. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012

Waterfall, my special ed. students had a really hard time last year with the hanging folders. They had visual-spatial problems and the work would be in the wrong folders, kids would grab the wrong folders, etc. You are teaching regular ed. third grade so I don't know if it will be a concern. How many kids will you have? I'll PM you an idea.

22. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

As of right now, I have 22 kids.