shoe boxes for library

Discussion in 'General Education' started by thomps6, Jul 30, 2008.

1. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Jul 30, 2008

Does anyone use the Sterilite clear plastic shoe boxes for their classroom library? Any pros and cons? Thanks for your help! We do not have access to IKEA or 99 cent stores-small town.

3. animalclass

animalclass Companion

Jul 30, 2008

i dont but i think as long as each container is full like so full the books stand straight i think it wouls work. if there half full they will tip

4. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

I use them for my chapter books

5. teachme

teachme Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

I use them. Even half full, they can stand up on their own. A whole row of them, one next to the other, is very sturdy. It's actually a big pain when they are too full with books because then the students can't flip through and look at the covers (no space).

Oh, and I re-use those big salad boxes (like at Costco or Whole Foods) to hold books too. They are deeper. =)

6. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

I use them. I fill them about 3/4 full of books, and they work great. The littles are also able to flip through the books when the boxes aren't quite full.
    With an electric drill, I drilled two small holes in the front of the boxes and attached cute title tags with book rings.
    Sturdy, flexible, and cheap -- you can't get much better than that!

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

I bought 36 plastic shoe boxes with covers (for storage in my classroom) but have used them as my book bins in the past... anyway I digress- I got them at www.dollartreedirect.com for $36.00. I thought it was a really great deal! I am picking them up next week. I think it was a great find!

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

p.s. They will mail them to you but I think there is a small extra charge.

9. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

i got them 3 for a dollar at AC Moore about 3 weeks ago!! it was a sale though.

10. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Jul 31, 2008

Thank you to everyone! I am glad I found something that will work! I love the idea of drilling holes in them and attaching the label with the book rings. I was going to attach the labels with packing tape but I also worried the kids might pick at it and then it will look crummy. I hope everyone enjoys their libraries!!

11. bowler

bowler Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

I attach my labels with velcro. They stay on well, and help keep the kids organized.

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 31, 2008

Ooooooh-I LOVE that idea. I'm worried because I have some series combined, and what if I get more of a series and need two separate baskets? If I've glued on the label, I've wasted that basket and now need two more. This way I can rotate books and move them around. Awesome idea, bowler.