Shirtless Students (Possibly Offensive)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustMe, Feb 13, 2010.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2010

I know I'm extremely conservative, but...

Seeing middle and high school boys with painted chests, sans shirts of course, at basketball games is beginning to bother me greatly. The picture below made the local paper. I've covered the emblem on his chest for my own privacy, but please note just how low his shorts are...we can see that "v" shape. We are thisclose to seeing what only his doctor should be seeing at this point. I think schools should borrow from groceries: shoes and shirts required!

[Picture Removed/Paranoia:)]

3. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Feb 13, 2010

Wow. If this was a school-related basketball game, I would have assume that the school dress code would apply to these functions too. I know that the kids are showing their school spirits but they can do it with a shirt on. It probably will take one "Janet Jackson" accident before somebody would do something. I can see that some people may not feel any different about it because this is done at national sport games. But, if this a school function, then the dress code should still apply.

Plus, (playing devil's advocate), if the boys are allowed to do, shouldn't the girls be able to do the same thing :eek:. It's a slippery slope.

4. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Feb 13, 2010

At my school the dress code would have been enforced. I am at a charter school and I am always appalled at what happens at the other public schools.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2010

This school, from which I graduated, is very lax when it comes to special activities and dress. When I did observations there on Halloween I was absolutely disgusted by what the girls were wearing. Have you seen how the industry has taken characters such as Snow White and Tinkerbell and produced very sexy versions of the characters for adult costomes? Well, numerous students had these costumes on. One had a Princess Jasmine-like two-piece outfit on. Ugh. :(

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 13, 2010

Once in high school, a group of my guy friends in marching band with me wrote 'Go Trojans' on their chests for our team. It was very hush hush and scandalous to us. They threw off their marching band coats and stood up at the same time, and the crowd cheered. Then they quickly put their coats back on and the world continued turning. (note: that really was our team, and we meant nothing more by it.)

I didn't realize this was a trend and that guys were keeping their shirts off the entire game. Sounds like a ploy to show off their 'muscles' to girls-school condoned strip tease?

ETA: Our band guys were very much wire-ry cross country boys in terms of body size. Perhaps that's why they threw their coats on so fast. I can't imagine them walking around without shirts on all the time-it was basically a skin covered rib cage!!

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2010

Jem, it's very common, but I had never taken notice of just how low their shorts are as well. Because I know this person it stood out. I don't think the guys having their shirts off with team names scrawled across their chests is the worst thing in the world, but it's one of those situations...give an inch, take a mile.

8. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Feb 13, 2010

This is really common at my school. There is a group of four or five boys that does this at every single home basketball game we have. They mix it up a bit as to what the slogans are, but mostly some variation of "Go Tigers". A generic mascot if there ever was one, so I figured I could post that.

The dress code is usually enforced pretty well, but I think they intentionally make an exception for this. That said, none of the boys shorts are quite as low as the boy in the image you posted. I'm fairly certain they would be in trouble for that at my school as well. The shorts are so low you're an inch away from pubic hair. No way.... unacceptable. Did they actually let him wear them like that?

9. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2010

The girls in my town do do it! It was in the yearbook because it is "school spirit" for homecoming...THey wore sportsbras, but still-save it for the beach!

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2010

Oh, PCdiva, that is so not okay in my book.

11. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Feb 13, 2010

That's interesting, PCdiva. Hopefully there weren't or ever will be a warddrobe malfunction for them.

It's in the yearbook?! Geez lovely. The worst part about it- a person could possibly be arrested if they had pictures like the ones mentioned by PP on their computer and/or cell phone. Or maybe, I'm wrong about this? Can somebody let me know if I am right or wrong? This statement is based on what I heard in the news about kids getting arrested for having pics of underage kids in their underwear on their cell phone.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2010

A few years ago some boys wore Speedos in a skit during at a school rally. Several of us complained, and nothing like that has happened since. (Of course, what they get away with wearing to school is another matter...especially this whole one-shoulder trend for the girls!)

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2010

Just had to share this...

My sister, who is a freshman, has been all about this one particular boy for a few months. Very much the young "does he like me/he's a jerk/why won't he call me back/I need him" type thing. This past Saturday he finally asked her, so they are now officially boyfriend and girlfriend. And guess who it is? Yep, the boy in the photo! I just discovered this when I looked him up on Facebook and it's his profile picture! Small towns.

14. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Jun 10, 2010

A painted chest is one thing, but the picture you linked shows the pelvic area. This isn't just a boy without a shirt, he's got his shorts pulled down as well.

Presuming he's reached puberty, he's shaving his private areas given how low the shorts are pulled down.

No shirt is the least of the inappropriate issues with this photo.

P.S. - You're conservative and I'm very liberal, but we agree that this photo is way over line.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2010

Let's just say it wouldn't happen at my school.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 11, 2010

I can't see a picture. Did you take it down?

17. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jun 11, 2010

A school I've taught at allowed the basketball team to disregard the dress code. The girls basketball team was allowed to wear tank-tops with the sides completely cut out, and then they cut the top off; the girls wear this to their normal classes. Everyone could see their neon bras (in the school's colors) and all of their stomachs/backs.

This wasn't just on game days, this was allowed everyday. :rolleyes:

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2010

Ms., that is ludicrous!