Sheets

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Missy, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

Talk to me about what kind of sheets you like.:)

I am way overdue to buy some new sheets for our queen size bed, but when I went to look I was overwhelmed by the choices!

Here's my specifications: I want a crisp (but soft!) cotton sheet, NO jersey, NO flannel, NO satin.

What brands and thread counts do you recommend?

Thanks!!

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

If you can afford 500 count and above, they're well worth the money. They get softer with every wash. They're like sleeping on silk. Don't buy "satin" sheets because they're generally polyester and HOT.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

i bought bamboo sheets from tuesday morning...350 dollar sheets for 75! they get softer with every wash...sooooooooooo nice!

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

When I got my tax refund, I used part of it to splurge and buy "fancy" sheets. Mine are Egyptian cotton, and either 500 or 600. They are wonderful--nice and crisp, but still soft. I bought them at Kohl's when they were on sale, and I used a 15% coupon.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2009

I buy Nothern Nights from QVC...I didn't typically use sheets growing up (yeah, I know), so I find them to be more than enough for me. :)

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

I got some new ones in November and they were 600 count and expensive. You can find good sheets at overstock.com and pay less than I did.

8. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 27, 2009

TJMax/Homegood have a nice selection of high thread count sheets for reasonable prices.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2009

I don't care about the kind of bedsheets I get really. I get what's on sale @ Bed Bath & Beyond or I buy @ Target. I have bought satin ones before, but they're not my favorites. I have a few sets of jersey & flannel for colder mos, I like them.

I just get plain cotton ones mainly. I seem to get Wamsutta a lot. Maybe I'll break down & get luxurious 500+ count sheets one day.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

Egyption Cotton with a high thread count is my fave.

Good bedding is so worth it.

11. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 27, 2009

I got some JC Penny sheets as a wedding present and love them! They are soft and get softer after each wash. They are cotton and so soft.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

I get my sheets at Ross.

13. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

Damask brand at Macy's .. I love them!

14. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

You can also get the Damask sheets at Target - I got mine on sale for $30 I think. They look so much more expensive than they really are and very soft.

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 27, 2009

I am a bit of a "sheet snob." I have to second (and third) the Damask sheets from Target. They are affordable, but so wonderful. They are 450 thread count. They come in 7 colors. They are rich and luxurious. They wash well and wear well. They are affordable. There is a nice selection of colors (I have the gold, the green, and the maroon -- and love them all.)

There are the two things you wouldn't know about them just by looking online:

--the stripe (which is two tone of the same color) means that you always know exactly which way to put the sheets on. No accidently putting them on sideways. The stripes go from head to foot of the bed. You can't imagine the frustration this saves.

--It doesn't say this anyplace on the website or the packaging, but they come with an EXTRA set of pillow cases! (Four instead of 2!!) This is fabulous. You can't imagine how handy it is to have extra matching pillow cases.

I bought these sheets as gifts for my brother and his wife, and for my parents a few years back, and they are sold on them now too!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2009

On real hot days, does anyone ever mist their sheets w/ cold water before laying on them? :D

17. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

I love the Calvin Klein 600 tc sheets. Macy's sometimes has them 60% off, and Costco often has full sets for a fraction of even the sale price. Since I have expensive sheets, I've only got three, so they get washed every week. Most of them are over 5 yrs old (anything nice that I have is pre-back-to-school!) and still look new. My favorite is the bamboo cotton blend. The colors don't fade either (I dry them on low).

I hate anything under quality 400 tc--just feels so scratchy.

18. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

I actually have one of these too; just the bottom. Not nearly as nice as the CK, but lovely sheets all the same, and a much better price. It also washes extremely well.