She threw a temper tantrum!!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Jazzy*Jai, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

Okay I am in my second week of teaching. Last week they were good but noisy. Today I had a student throw a temper tantrum because another student was sitting in her "spot" during morning group and she yelled at him. When I told her to apologize she started crying and she refused to apologize so I made her go sit in another teacher (the mean one) classroom and she kicked and screamed the whole way there. I became teary eyed for a minute but I quicky gained composure. I wasn't expecting this. This little girl was absent yesterday and my day was so easy and peaceful.
    To add to this, they added another student to my class and now I have more students than the veteran teachers.
    I don't want to keep threatening and punishing my students by sending them to other teacher's classroom, I want them to know I am in control too. Any ideas?

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 2, 2007

Document her behavior, it's even better if you have an adult witness. Call parents as soon as possible, if you have a phone in the classroom do it right then. Mom and/or dad should know what's going on. maybe they can provide insight. I have one who was awful last week. I called his mom and found that he had been out of his ADHD meds all week.

4. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

Well I asked a her previous teacher if I should write her a behavior report and have her mom come in and she said it would do no good because her mom treats her like an adult and that she is the baby of the family so she gets away with everything. So I will write it down thanks. She greatly improved in the evening if that helps.

5. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

I had the exact problem today! So he threw a tantrum. After he was done kicking and screaming, he stopped crying. If you give the child attention, they are going to continue to cry even more. I was also thinking about asigning spots on the carpet and making sure I changed his.

Let me know if you come up with any ideas.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2007

Don't send kids to another teacher's room- it looks like you don't know what you are doing and that you can't control the situation. Try a time out chair, consequences, behavior contracts, rewards (not everyone loves this idea but it works for some kids), choices...

7. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Oct 2, 2007

Use it as a teachable moment. Ask the other children or even the child who threw the tantrum what else they could do in a situation when someone is sitting in "their spot" and have them demonstrate/ act it out for the class. I am sure this isn't the case, but maybe this little girl didn't know how else to get this other child out of "her spot." By having the kids offer suggestions and act it out, you are providing them with many different options and this will allow them to choose the one that is most comfortable for them.

This may not be a popular choice, but at my center (granted we have mainly younger children... but we also have Kindergarten and Before and After school for children 5-12) we do not make the kids say sorry. Instead we ask them how they would like to show or tell the person they hurt or upset that they are sorry. We give the children the choice of saying they are sorry or maybe something else~ like a hug, handshake, etc.) is something that is more comfortable and meaningful to the children. We never force them to say "I'm sorry." Especially if they aren't going to mean it when they say it.

I agree that you should not send this child to another classroom. Then she is missing valuable classroom time and it also looks to the child like you don't have control. You need to be the one to set the boundaries and be consistent with this child. What would happen one day if the "mean teacher" was absent and this child was acting out? She needs to know that you will be dealing with her and these tantrums. It will be hard and time consuming in the beginning, but be consistent with removing her from the group, not giving attention to the negative behaviors, and whatever other consequences you offer this child for her misbehavior. She will evantually get sick of being ignored or removed from the group. And she'll learn that you are the one who is in charge, not the "mean teacher."

Good luck:)! Let us know how things go.

8. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Oct 2, 2007

Are the temper tantrums a constant thing? I had a student who had constant temper tantrums. So I decided to start giving golden tickets for acceptable behavior. When I saw it, I gave out tickets. Now my temper tantrum kiddo checks herself whenever she sees me giving a golden ticket. I documented her tantrums--just in case they became valuable for a sp ed referral, counselor or therapist. Record actions before, during and after the tantrums. It's so nice to send home good notes than send home the ugly ones!

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 2, 2007

Is there a pattern? I had one that throws a fit about the same time each day. Turns out she was exhausted. I started allowing her time to lay her head down about 15 minutes before the "rough Time." It seem to help.