Shaving cream?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by msj, Feb 25, 2008.

1. msj

msj Companion

Feb 25, 2008

Hello, I would love to put shaving cream on my sensory table, but when I asked for it, I as told by my director that I was not aloud to use it with the children. I have one class of all 4's and 5's now and one class with 2.5's and 3's. Has anyone else run into this problem? Does anyone use similar things?

3. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Feb 25, 2008

Did she tell your why? She may have an issue with menthol type shaving cream. She may be afraid the younger ones get it in their eyes. Otherwise, I don't know.

4. monica

monica Comrade

Feb 25, 2008

I've never put it in a sensory table, but we play with it on the regular tables. When the tables need a good cleaning, it works great! The kids love it! We write names, draw shapes, play, build, whatever. I like the way it makes the room smell. Never heard of anyone having issues with it before.

5. Amers

Amers Cohort

Feb 25, 2008

I subbed at a special needs preschool for a few days, and they put shaving cream on the sensory tables. Did your director mention why you can't use it?

6. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Feb 25, 2008

We always play with it but some of our kids won't touch it, I think they are scared of it or something. I'm in a 30-36 month room, so it's about the same age. I would ask why you can't use it. Allergy maybe?

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 25, 2008

I don't put it in my table either, but my kids LOVE when we break it out on the tables... like monica said, it's a great "treat" when the tables need good scrub.

It can't hurt to ask what the reason is... see if there's a particular kind you can use if it's an allergy issue. You definitely don't want them to get it in their eyes, but it comes off VERY nicely off anything else.

8. wItalia

wItalia Rookie

Feb 26, 2008

Hi ,
    Will she let you put it in small baggies that you tape. You can add food coloring and glitter and the children can swish it around.

9. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Feb 26, 2008

I have heard this too on one of the forums recently but can't remember the exact reason. Maybe it was an allergy concern or fear they would ingest it- can't remember for sure. Our fire marshall won't allow shaving cream in the classroom because it is combustable.

10. lilabraham

lilabraham Rookie

Feb 26, 2008

One of my co-teachers puts shaving cream on the easels every so often! The kids love it and it cleans the easels! Also it's outside so the fresh smell doesn't take over. We use it inside too tho.

We can pull the safety card to exclude all kinds of stuff in the classroom. We had an analyst that didn't want paintbrushes in the room!

11. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Feb 27, 2008

Paintbrushes? What next, no finger-painting? :eek:hmy:

There are scentless creams as i think someone might have mentioned. & for some of my kids I give them cars, rollers or those evil paintbrushes to use as alternatives for fun or for the non-touchers. Sometimes I use Cool Whip as well, especially for the very young who may still be on their oral kick.

12. Hannah's Place

Hannah's Place Rookie

Feb 27, 2008

I don't know why that would be, either, except for the menthol type. Why don't you suggest whipped cream instead?? Kids love it!
    Let us know the reason behind it!!

13. msj

msj Companion

Feb 29, 2008

Okay...found out the reason...I'm not sure I understand it though...It's the propellant...the stuff that makes it come out.

Oh, and I have no children that are allergic.

14. mrs27

mrs27 Rookie

Mar 3, 2008

We had a slow day last week and I got out shaving cream. I did have 3 children who said it "itched" and when we washed their hands they all had redish streaks. They went away after a few minutes, but it did make me rethink an old favorite that I have used with past classes.

15. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Mar 4, 2008

Since it's the propellant, you can buy pamolive shaving cream that comes in a toothpaste-type tube. Or you can use regular shaving cream and put it into a bowl outside, then bring it inside. Or you can use yogurt or pudding.

It does make sense, that you can't have the propellant in your room. We can't have spray aerosol cans in the room (air freshener, lysol).

16. pabef

pabef Comrade

Mar 7, 2008

I am from Mississippi and our state department regulations prohibit the use of shaving cream. They say it is because it is hazardous for children if they eat it. We use whipped cream instead.

17. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2008

And it's also a soap-like material that can sting if they get it in eyes. And they will get it in eyes. However, I still use it as a structured, table-activity. I wouldn't want to use it without direct supervision because of the chances that it will be flung in someone's eyes....
    Kim