sharing sub interview ???? that were asked

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by TeachingLit, Aug 31, 2006.

1. TeachingLit

TeachingLit Rookie

Aug 31, 2006

Today my younger sister went for a substitute interview. As she was talking to me, I got the idea that I would share some of the questions that were posed to her in the interview. Here goes (as many as I can remember):

1. Tell me about yourself (in regards to education field).
    2. Why do you want to work in this school district?
    3. When you are called to sub from the night before, how soon do you like to be at the school the next morning?
    4. How do you want the students to view you (as a sub)?
    5. How do you feel towards grading papers for the teacher?
    6. What would you do if the lesson plans provided are completed before the end of the class period?
    7. Do you feel comfortable teaching from the lesson plans?
    8. What if there were no lesson plans? What would you do?
    9. Would you consider teaching something other than the lesson plans provided?
    10. What would you do if a child was crying?
    11. How would handle a couple of students who were misbehaving and causing the disruption in the room?
    12. If a student was causing trouble in the classroom, what would it take for you to call for help (admin. staff) to come to the room?
    13. Every teacher has a plan period. What would you do during that time?
    14. What have you done since you quit your job (since you last taught, graduated)?
    15. How do you feel about leaving notes for the teacher?
    16. How do you feel at the end of the day when the job has ended?

That's all I can remember for now. If she can recall anything more, I'll post it. Each of these answers need a little bit of explanation; short and to the point.
    If you want to know how my sister responded to these questions, I'll also be glad to include that in the post.

3. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Aug 31, 2006

These are great, thank you teachinglit! This will be very helpful as I prepare for an upcoming sub pool interview. May I pass these questions along to a few of my fellow new teachers?

4. xrosex

xrosex New Member

Aug 31, 2006

I would be appreciate if you include that part as well.Thanks

5. TeachingLit

TeachingLit Rookie

Sep 1, 2006

My sister's answers may vary from yours, but here is how she responded to most of them. She also answered most of the questions based on being called to sub in a middle/high school level. This is a long post. Sorry. Let me know how you think she did. I already told her she did well. Thanks

1. Tell me about yourself (in regards to education field).
    Her desire to be a teacher, going to school to major in education, subbing, volunteering, etc in the schools
    2. Why do you want to work in this school district?
    She answered because this school district is one of the best. She and her siblings had gone to through the system there. The district believes in the kids and has a vision to see them succeed. That her parents specifically targeted this particular district when they moved from another state because the schools offered a quality education. (which is true for this district, btw)
    3. When you are called to sub from the night before, how soon do you like to be at the school the next morning? 15 to 30 minutes before class starts. 30 minutes if the school building is new to her. That would allow her time to find the sub plans, the classroom, put her name on the board, and review the lesson plans for the day.
    4. How do you want the students to view you (as a sub)? As a professional (because she is one), someone who is approachable if the students needed help, yet also stern enough to implement discipline if necessary.
    5. How do you feel towards grading papers for the teacher?
    She would be okay with that and in fact, thinks this would be helpful to the teacher, because she know how busy they are and it would help make the teacher's day a little bit better. Of course, if the questions were essays, she wouldn't because the teacher may be looking for something specific and as a sub, she wouldn't know what that was.
    6. What would you do if the lesson plans provided are completed before the end of the class period? If the class finished early, then she would have them work on their homework from this class or any other or use the time for a study hall. The students would have to remain quiet, though. If the class had only 10 minutes left and then finished, she would allow them to talk quietly for the remainder of the period.
    7. Do you feel comfortable teaching from the lesson plans? Absolutely. The teacher would have laid out the information for her and she would go with that.
    8. What if there were no lesson plans? What would you do? She would use the time for a study hall. (Remember she was answering these questions as if she were to sub in a high school)
    9. Would you consider teaching something other than the lesson plans provided?
    Absolutely not. The regular teacher took a lot of time to prepare the lesson plan and she wouldn't feel comfortable in going in her own direction. She would, however, add to the lesson only if it would enhance something in that lesson plan. But she would primarily stick with what the teacher had for her. --This is a side note not included in her answer on the interview. She had a close friend sub one day and not find the sub plans right a way, took the initiative to try to teach something to the students; then around end of 2nd period, the plans were found, and she continued to teach what she had started the rest of the day- ignoring what the teacher had written. She got into some big trouble with that teacher and was called into the principal's office the next day.
    10. What would you do if a child was crying?
    She would quietly ask if the child needed help and wanted to go see the nurse. She said because she wouldn't know anything about the student, she would not feel comfortable trying to get into the child's problem. (if an elementary student was crying, she would try to handle it, though)
    11. How would handle a couple of students who were misbehaving and causing the disruption in the room?
    Make eye contact, move closer to them, tap the table, and if that didn't work, move one or more students to different seat
    12. If a student was causing trouble in the classroom, what would it take for you to call for help (admin. staff) to come to the room?
    If the child displayed a weapon of any kind. (She was in a class in high school once where someone flicked a lighter and the teacher didn't do anything except tell the student to stop, which he didn't. She did finally send him to the office because that school didn't have a two-way P.A. system in place.)
    13. Every teacher has a plan period. What would you do during that time?
    She would probably either go to the teacher's lounge or stay in the room.
    14. What have you done since you quit your job (since you last taught, graduated)?
    She's out looking for a job, reading and gathering information for future lesson plans.
    15. How do you feel about leaving notes for the teacher?
    She always leaves a note for the teacher. She thanks the teacher for allowing her to sub for her. She writes about how the day went, how the students were, if any trouble occurred with students or between them, if any students were exceptionally helpful, if she graded any papers for her, and anything that she thinks would be helpful for the teacher when she comes back.
    16. How do you feel at the end of the day when the job has ended?
    She feels like she's accomplished a successful day for herself and the teacher. She wouldn't leave the building until the students were gone. (she wouldn't be walking out with them)

6. TeachingLit

TeachingLit Rookie

Sep 1, 2006

My sister heard today the school district is checking her references (one of her coworkers from her previous job called to ask her if she had applied at this school district because they called to ask her a few questions about my sister). The person who interviewed my sister told her they would be interviewing other candidates and if they were interested in her, they would be checking her references and give her a call by end of next week. She's really pumped and I hope she gets to do this if that's what she wants.
    She reminds me that to be a sub is at least being in a school. This district is hard to get into and she feels this is at least getting her foot in the door.
    Just thought I'd update everyone. She's hopeful and so am I, but she hasn't gotten the phone call from the district yet.
    Anyone have any additions to what she said on her interview should she have to do another? Any thoughts how you think she did overall?

7. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Sep 5, 2006

Teaching Lit,
    What did your sister bring to her interview? I was just called for a permanant substitute interview, and it's in two days. The questions were a ton of help! Thanks! Steph

8. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Sep 5, 2006

Teaching Lit, is your sister going for a 1 year sub position? or a day to day?

9. Back2Work

Back2Work Rookie

Sep 21, 2006

big help!

Thanks for taking the time to type out all those questions and answers!! They were extremely helpful to me, as I am trying to prepare for a sub interview myself next week. Did your sister get hired?