Sharing student art online

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Helen Lowery, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Helen Lowery

Helen Lowery Rookie

Jul 2, 2018

Hello Art Teachers!

As you know, finding ways to showcase your student's work is so important in the art room. It boosts quality, increases student engagement, and can elevate the art program as a whole. In my art program, we have a yearly exhibition we call the EXPO held at the HS. We also enter work into about 5 different community showcases. Finally, we hang artwork at various locations and rotate it throughout the school year.

Another way I like to showcase student work is online through my Facebook page for my artroom. At the beginning of every year, I have started to ask each student and their parent to sign a consent form stating that permission is granted to use images of the child and of the artwork online. However, it is something I have written and is not a legal document.

I am interested in seeing how other art teachers are sharing student images online. What are the best practices? Any warnings? How do your students respond? How do families respond?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2018

I would like to suggest that you run your consent form past your administration and the school board. I am not as concerned about showing the artwork as I am about showing the student's pictures on Facebook or other online sites. You say that the work is displayed at the high school, but you didn't say that these are high school students. Personally, if you don't have a detailed set of rules and regulations for when, where, and how you will acquire school district approved consent forms that will legally protect the district, the child, as well as yourself should your actions come under scrutiny for any reason, you may be setting yourself up for some serious consequences. I know the kinds of hoops we have to jump through to take student's pictures at school, doing school activities, to use in the yearbook, and the very legal consent forms signed by both parents, and none of these pictures are displayed online where inappropriate individuals may have access to photos of the minors.

Call me super cautious, but as a parent, I would not be comfortable signing a consent form not approved by the district.

czacza and Helen Lowery like this.
  4. Helen Lowery

Helen Lowery Rookie

Jul 3, 2018

Thank you, Vicki,

I will do so, and contact the School Board Office for clarification of guidelines and release forms.

I know other teachers and coaches in the building also have social media accounts (FB, Twitter, etc) and are posting pics of classroom activities and community events. I guess I figured... if they are doing it, there was nothing to worry about. I had been told previously by my principle that as long as the student is not on the "do not photo list" that it is okay to photograph and share classroom activities.

I'm curious to know why, as a parent, you would not be comfortable signing a consent form not approved by the district? Call me naive, but what risk would you as the parent be undertaking?

I appreciate your feedback! Thanks.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2018

You’re kidding, right? There are all kinds of stories of child predators, estranged parents, others who would do harm who link to kids online. You as an individual don’t have the legal protection, nor the trust quite frankly, that the school district has. Tread carefully.

Your principal or other admin are the ones to consult regarding district technology usage protocol. Don’t assume that because others do something that you should as well.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2018

Double post

7. Helen Lowery

Helen Lowery Rookie

Jul 3, 2018

Hmmm. okay. I guess I have been naive, and will definitely contact my School Board Office for clarification. The parents seem to love it. Keep in mind, this is a class page... it is not my personal FB profile.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2018

Keep in mind that you should check and follow district policy.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2018

I would assume that the teacher in question hadn't cleared this with the administration, and possibly not be supported by the district. With that thought in my head, I would be concerned about the amount of care and diligence being used to assure that my child's personal information is staying personal, and that the internet posting remains secure. A legal document from the district almost guarantees that consideration has been given to limit personal info on the internet. Just me, but I would prefer a school website, not Facebook, feeling like a more consistent amount of info would be available, and that the district would use due diligence to prevent the information from being hacked. Facebook is trying to fix the issue of information safety, widely publicized right now, so theyare admitting that there are problems.

By the way, one of the first things I was told as a new teacher was to lock down all social media, because you simply can't keep your information private, and something seen on Facebook may be used in ways that you wouldn't have thought of. I have to remind my HS students all the time about TMI. They don't understand how hard it is to keep info posted online safe.

FWIW, my child is a teacher now, and I still remind him to be careful about what he shares and making sure that people can't get into any private files. Any student info ONLY goes on district websites.

Helen Lowery and czacza like this.