Sharing Stick in Guided Reading?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by time out, Jul 11, 2012.

1. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 11, 2012

Okay, so I had this weird idea about guided reading. Normally, students raise their hands when they want to participate in our small group discussions. However, I want my discussions to feel more organic but want to avoid students talking over each other.

So I thought, what if I had a sharing stick (or something to that effect) on the table in front of us and whoever wanted to speak could pick it up, say what they wanted to say and then put it back?

Immediately, though, I thought of potential problems.
    • grabbing or arguing over the stick
    • the lack of wait time
    • shy students not participating

Well, to prevent grabbing and arguing, I could model and practice. And if students shy away from the stick, I could still call on them to encourage their participation.

Is this a crazy idea? Has anyone tried something like this already? I'm trying to make our discussions feel more like actual discussions. When was the last time you raised your hand when talking to a small group of friends and colleagues?

Also, how do you encourage students to ask questions of their own (without being prompted) that contribute to the discussion? In my teaching experience, I've found that only students with a certain type of personality ask questions and they are far and few between. Would love to hear your ideas. Thanks.

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2012

Look into Whole Brain Teaching (formerly power teaching). It's great for managing small groups and getting the kids talking to one another.

4. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 11, 2012

Thanks, iheart.

I looked up a few youtube videos and saw some cool wbt strategies but I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for. Wbt still feels pretty teacher-directed and I'm looking for ways to make students initiate discussions. I already do a lot of turn and talk and group sharing but they don't really ask questions, they just tell or respond. Then again, that was first grade and I'm sure third grade is a whole other ball game.

I do like the teach-ok and mirror strategies though. Definitely going to add those to my teaching repertoire. Thanks again.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2012

6. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 11, 2012

Good find!

Will definitely have to model and practice, practice, practice and then maybe some more modeling and practicing :lol:

Thanks!