Sharing baby care duties between spouse/partner

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jul 1, 2014.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 1, 2014

Think back to when your child was a baby or how you share baby care time now if you have a little one..... =)

I would love to hear how you and your spouse/partner took shifts with baby care etc. whether mom worked at another job or stayed home with baby all day (because being a mom is a job!)

I'd love to hear
    1) What worked well with the shifts between you and your spouse/partner esp if they already had a FT job and want to come home to "relax" but you (as a mom) need a break too...

2) How were the general times/shifts decided so that both parents could enjoy time to recharge by themselves whether at home or elsewhere (like errands etc!) while the other tended to baby's needs =)

(I will be a "stay at home mom" while my husband works FT so this issue is important for us to figure out so that we can both feel happy as people and parents!) :) :hugs:

I'm just starting week 31 of pregnancy and excited to be a first time mom!

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 1, 2014

The craziest time of day is between 5-7:30 (dinner and baths). We're both on until bedtime. At bedtime, we split the kiddos, and once our kiddo is down, then it's time to relax.

Grocery shopping: He's had to chase the kidlets through the store, so he understands it goes much faster if they stay home. He usually keeps the kids while I do the shopping.

Breaks: Communication is key. We've learned to just tell each other when we really feel like we need an hour or two to ourselves, and the other is always willing to pick up the kid duties and let the other have some alone time. My husband works two jobs, often pulling 24 hour shifts on the weekend, so every few months I go out of town for one night to visit my best friend. Sometimes I take the kids with me, which gives him a weekend off.

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2014

I stayed home with my kids until my youngest went to kindergarten. My husband has always worked from 7:00-3:30 so I would usually wait until he got home to run errands, grocery shop, etc. While I was doing that if the weather was nice, he would take them outside either to swim or just play. I would get back and cook dinner. After dinner, he would give all 3 of the kids a bath while I cleaned up the kitchen and I would get them into bed and read a story. After they were in bed, I would prep the meals for the next day so that I could cook quickly. We would usually pick up toys together and give the house a quick clean-up. I would do the heavy cleaning while he was at work. We pretty much shared duties even though I was home during the day with the kids. My day job was to keep the kids happy and healthy during the day, cook, clean, and make his one paycheck stretch as far as I could. His day job was to make money but when we were together everything was shared.

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2014

First, I can't emphasize enough how great it was that DH had a 2 week vacation when our first was born. Neither of us knew anything about being parents, but we figured it all out together with very little help from others. Then I was a SAHM, while he worked radio news so he had to be at work before dawn. He was home around 1pm so that gave me a break. Later, I got a part time job in the afternoons, so he was alone with the baby and made dinner for us.
    Enjoy your time with the baby!

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2014

My husband is actually going to be the one staying home with our baby. I really wish I could be the one to do it!! I plan to take over pretty much everything when I get home from work.