Sharing a fence with neighbors

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Bella2010, May 24, 2014.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 24, 2014

Our neighbors have taken out a home improvement loan and will be replacing the fence we share. They've asked if we would pay for half of the fence we share, which would be about $1,000 out of our pocket. We can't do it right now. We could scrape the money together, but it'd made the next few months really hard. We had things planned for this summer. We have DS's b-day party, we wanted to get away for a long weekend and take DS to an amusement park and science museum, and DS will be needing school clothes for next year. We'll offer to make monthly payments to them so that they'll get the $1000, but the lump sum isn't happening. So, I get to have the awkward, "Hey, we're losers and can't cough up $1,000 right now," conversation with them. :(

I should tell them getting any $ is contingent on their their dog not pooping in our front yard anymore - disgusting!!!!!!! :mad:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 24, 2014

Typically a fence is on one homeowners property, within the property line..you don't 'share it' although you reap benefits of privacy, security by it being there..also one customarilly puts the 'nice' side out to the benefit of the neighbor...I think your neighbor should pay for his own fence.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 24, 2014

It is typical in this area for neighbors to share the cost of replacing a fence. We have done it three times.

Once the neighbors installed it while we were on an expensive vacation (houseboat on Lake Meade) and came home to husband losing his job. :dizzy: They had discussed it in general terms in advance but we had no idea they were going to do it then. It actually made us mad so we paid them in payments.

Once new neighbors built a house next door and we all wanted privacy from each other. It was discussed and planned as the house was built and we shared the cost.

Most recently, a termite ridden fence needed to be replaced. The neighbor got married and was turning it into a rental. We were going to do it together but he ran out of time to help so he paid for the materials and we did the labor. One of my sons worked for a fence company for a while and owed us money so he and his dad and brothers got it done. Free to me. :rolleyes:

5. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 24, 2014

I can say I wouldn't have a huge problem with it if they had came up to us five or six months ago and told us this was what they were thinking about doing. That would have given us time to put some money back, but coming up with one lump sum? I think I'd feel bad asking someone for that.

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 24, 2014

I would tell them that you don't have the money in your budget to do so. All money is already allotted to other things.

I would just leave it at that. If they want to replace the fence they can. Otherwise they should wait. I wouldn't even offer money, but in our area, fencing is on one homeowner's property line. People don't share the cost of fences. They must get approval to put one up, but there is no shared expense.

7. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 24, 2014

I wouldn't pay for any part of a fence that's on someone else's property. If I want one, I'll buy one.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 24, 2014

No. They pay for their own fence.

In my city most people have large brick walls as fences. I'm not sure which property owner is responsible for the wall or if both are equally responsible.

9. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 24, 2014

Okay, dumb question coming. If we "share" a fence by just looking at it, I guess that's our property line and whoever thinks the fence needs replaced is typically responsible for replacing it?

Beth

10. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 24, 2014

But you don't share a fence. You do see your neighbor's house. Do you share it? What about items in their yard that are in reach? How about the front lawn for the neighbor's doggy doody?

People don't share fences. Fences are placed on someone's property. In many areas people don't have to get permission from a neighbor to put one up.

11. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 24, 2014

I get what you're saying. I guess the fence is our property line?

ETA: I think I've got it. Someone's property line is to the left or right of the fence. So, technically, it is on someone's property.

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 24, 2014

Here the fences are right on the property line - not really on one property or the other. Some people put their's clearly on their own property, but I would say that is the exception. Otherwise their might be 2 fences right next to each other? Sometimes people pay for it themselves because the other party can't afford it.

It is wise to know where your property line is, because sometimes people intentionally or unintentionally encroach on someone else's property. Even developers mess up. It happened to my niece and all the property lines/fence lines in the neighborhood were wrong and it caused a huge mess when people went to sell their houses.

13. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 24, 2014

That's right. The fence is on someone's property line. It is that person's responsibility to maintain the fence. If a neighbor wants to share the cost, they can. Often that happens when the fence is in bad shape and the non-fence owner can't stand it anymore.

So, the question is, whose fence is it?

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 24, 2014

My sis has this...neighbors put up fences...so 2 sides are done by neighbors because they want it up...sis & hubby have thought about doing other side just so their yard is "fenced in." They don't share costs.
    Our neighbors put a dog invisible fence in...there are flags within a few inches or so from prop line.

15. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 24, 2014

Here you can have the fence post butt up against the line, but the post can't be divided by the property line because it then becomes unclear who is the owner of the fence.

16. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 24, 2014

Yeah, I have no clue. I'll look at the physical description, the really technical one.

17. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 24, 2014

Plus, if there's a current fence that's been there for a long time, I'd get a new survey before any new fence is put up. Make sure that they're really putting it on THEIR property.

18. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 24, 2014

Is the fence falling down or do your neighbors want to upgrade it in some way?

Where I live (CA) we share the cost of a fence if it's falling down or broken. That's the only time it gets replaced.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 24, 2014

This. Fences usually aren't ON the property line...they're in one yard or the other.

20. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 24, 2014

I'd call it more of an upgrade. They're wanting a fence with the concrete runners. It isn't in the best of shape, but it's not falling down and still serves the purpose of a privacy fence.

I kind of think part of their reasoning is they're taking out a loan anyway, they might as well get it done. They are having a shop built in their backyard and a patio added. I guess they're reasoning what's another $6,000 (the cost of the fence they want us to help with and then their back panel) added to God only knows how much the patio and shop are costing. Can't really blame them for that way of thinking. I'd probably have it too. But, I wouldn't ask them for $1000. :mad:

Beth

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 24, 2014

I *think* our fence is on the lot line, but after reading everyone's comments, I'm wondering if it's on someone's property. I'm guessing on one side it's on their property knowing that our driveway goes all the way to the property line.

The neighbors 2 doors down put in a privacy fence and our next door neighbor offered to pay for part of it. Don't remember if he actually did or not.

I do know that we have to have a permit to put one in.

22. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 24, 2014

What is a fence with concrete runners?

I'm not familiar with this term. I did google it but found nothing of help. I'm sure it is a familiar term where you are, but not in any of the locations where I lived.

23. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 24, 2014

24. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 24, 2014

I'm sorry. If it is on their land and they want a new fence then THEY paid for it. Now, if it is in the HOA's by-laws to split the costs, then that is a different story.

If it is on your land and THEY want a new fence, too bad.

25. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2014

If your fence looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    or this:
    [​IMG]
    then it is your fence.

If your fence looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    or this:
    [​IMG]
    then it is your neighbor's fence.

Basically, if the poles are facing your side, it is your fence. If you face the 'finished' side, it is your neighbor's fence.

26. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 24, 2014

Well, then, technically it's our fence. I'm sorry they're not happy with it, but we just can't swing it now.
    So, knowing it's technically our fence makes me feel even more crappy not being able to cough up $1000 right now and makes them look pretty generous offering to pay for half.
    I mean, it's entirely our responsibility, apparently.

27. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2014

They can run their fence next to it if they'd like. You didn't plan to fix your fence this year and didn't budget for it. They can get over it.

I learned a lot about fences with my former neighbor. Mostly because he was a pain in the rear. When the house was for sale, it was bank owned. The lawn was only mowed once a month during the foreclosure proceedings and the hired people broke a few boards. The neighbor tried making me pay for them. I didn't own the house when it happened, and I refused. For the next 5 years, we fought over his stinkin' fence. :rolleyes:

28. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 24, 2014

If it's your fence and it's functional, then too bad for them. They can put up another fence, if they want. The thing is, even if everyone always split the cost of a fence in half, why would THEY get to choose the fence and just tell you a cost?

I can think of (very few) instances in which I would agree to split the cost, but none of those would involve a $2000 fence! I just think it's amazingly nervy to ask someone to cough up such a large amount of money because you want an upgrade.

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 24, 2014

That's not always necessarily true. The fence that my next-door neighbor had built some years ago when she moved in was built using those metal posts with holes to which wood fence members can be screwed: the "unfinished" side is on my side. I wasn't consulted at all on the fence, though I was informed that workmen would be on my property to install it. (I leave you to guess how well that neighbor and I get along.)

30. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2014

Of course, there are always exceptions!

Or things can get really confusing with the fences like this:
    [​IMG] My parents' house has that fencing along one side and it was damaged in an ice storm over the winter. We are pretty sure it is on their property line, but not 100%.

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 24, 2014

I don't know how to tell the inside/outside of the brick walls that we have in my city.

[​IMG]

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 24, 2014

Caesar, I think most of the brick walls between houses in Las Vegas since about 1970 tend to have been installed by the builders. It wouldn't surprise me to find that the lot lines run down the middle of the fence lines and that the owners are held jointly responsible for upkeep (and there may well be some language to that effect buried somewhere in the house papers). The rule I'd recommend there, I suppose, is that if your neighbors' fences look just like yours, the fences are common fences.

33. teach1

teach1 Companion

May 25, 2014

OP, I think it's wise to know where your property line is. If I were you, I would get someone to come down, survey the land and let you know exactly what land is yours. That will solve the mystery in terms of whose fence it is, and whether or not it is on the property line.

If it's on the property line... well, I have no experience with that. If it's on your neighbors property, I would never pay even a little bit towards their fence (not even if I had all the money in the world!). That doesn't make sense to me. If it is your fence, I think your neighbors have no right to "upgrade it" or decide what type of fence they want. It's on your property.

34. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 25, 2014

Bella,
    Are all sides of your yard fenced in? That could give you another clue. At my house, only the back and right side were fenced because they were my neighbors' fences. The left side did not have a fence because neither I, nor the neighbor on the left, had a fence.

35. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 25, 2014

When we moved into our house 20 years ago, the house behind us had a privacy fence. They put it up next to the chain link fence. So we had all kinds of things growing in between the fences that were very difficult to get to. It was awful to look at, but we did our best. The worst was the bush that someone had cut down but left the base of the trunk.

Last summer they took down the privacy fence and cleaned up the junk that had been in between the fences. Now we just have the chain link fence between us.

36. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 25, 2014

We build fences on the property line and share the cost over here.

37. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 25, 2014

For people who build their fences on their own property what do you do if your neighbor breaks your fence (I'm thinking of a kid kicking a soccer ball and ends up breaking a fence board)?

38. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 25, 2014

I'm thinking the kid would be mowing some lawns and buying a fence board. :lol:

39. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 25, 2014

LOL

That's what I was thinking.

I believe breaking someone else's property would require the party to replace or pay restitution by working off the debt. Breaking a neighbor's fence is no different than breaking a neighbors window.

40. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 25, 2014

41. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 25, 2014

It also extends the life of the fence because they don't rot and get termites from the contact with the ground. It is expensive, though.