Shared Writing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissFroggy, Aug 9, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 9, 2008

This is a spin-off thread from the "how much do you tell your students about you" thread...

Anyway, what do you write about during shared writing, if you are telling stories about yourself. They should be recent stories.. I just feel like as a single person with no pets, I have little to share. My life is pretty much the same each week, and going dancing on the weekend with my friends, or having a little party or something is not something I can share about. I have a good social life, and I do date, but nothing serious right now. I can't really write about dating and hanging out with friends.

Um, do I have to buy a cat to be a first grade teacher?? I need SOMETHING to write about!!

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 9, 2008

Write about

-something you saw out the window on the way to school that you liked
    -your absolute favorite meal
    -your favorite childhood memory when you were your students' age
    -your favorite pair of shoes
    -something that makes you uncomfortable
    -something that you're proud of
    -the view from your kitchen window

Those are just off the top of my head.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 9, 2008

Thanks... that's helpful. I don't really want a cat, so I'm glad you gave me a few suggestions.

I have a degree in creative writing so you'd THINK I could come up with these ideas on my own-- though first grade is new territory for me and all the examples from the book are about people's kids, dogs, husbands, vacations, etc. I won't have as much of that to write about.

5. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 9, 2008

I make up stories about myself!!! Ha...the kids love them. Or I write stories about small things in my life, like going through the drive through at dunkin donuts (the person before me paid for my coffee, and the cashier said that the person does that like everyday). It was a good story to talk about random acts of kindness. I write stories about going to the Gym, the movies, dinner, exercising, picking flowers, seeing a basball game, etc. Lots of them are made up or exagerated to make my life more interesting, bc like you said lots of the stuff I do I can't tell them about (bars, clubs, parties, BF)!

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2008

I write about memories from when I was their age quite a bit... in fourth, though that can work for any grade level. I also try to go for anything humorous because I love to see students laugh.